Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Trivia ?? Question #2 (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6745)

Phantom 09-05-2008 07:24 AM

Trivia ?? Question #2

Okay, here's the second one --

Somewhere back in time (I've boated Winni for 35+yrs), long before Radar & GPS units, I believe I was told that the early way to safely navigate the lake at nite was to "follow the FL's". By that I mean -- avoiding the hazard associated with the particular FL (by memory) - If you head from one FL to any other visible (in a strait path) you will avoid any unlit spars or hazards in your path. Key here is to keep the departing lite directly to your stern and the target FL at your bow (obviously avoiding the approaching FL's hazard from memory). I know this to be true on the Western half of the Lake.

Is this a valid "old tale" or just a coincidence ?

or does one say --- You idiot Phantom, thats why the lite is there!

WeirsBeachBoater 09-05-2008 08:17 AM

I could see some scenarios where this would work, but I can see others where this would be the end of your lower unit!

Dave R 09-05-2008 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 80902)
Okay, here's the second one --

Somewhere back in time (I've boated Winni for 35+yrs), long before Radar & GPS units, I believe I was told that the early way to safely navigate the lake at nite was to "follow the FL's". By that I mean -- avoiding the hazard associated with the particular FL (by memory) - If you head from one FL to any other visible (in a strait path) you will avoid any unlit spars or hazards in your path. Key here is to keep the departing lite directly to your stern and the target FL at your bow (obviously avoiding the approaching FL's hazard from memory). I know this to be true on the Western half of the Lake.

Is this a valid "old tale" or just a coincidence ?

or does one say --- You idiot Phantom, thats why the lite is there!

It works in many situations, but there are instances where one could possibly confuse two lights and get into trouble (I would guess the blink rates would help prevent confusion, I know they do for me using FL83 and FL6 heading toward Center Harbor).

One place where confusion would be disasterous is from FL78/FL21 by the witches headed toward Sleepers Island. If, while on the way, someone mistook FL24 for FL48, one would run directly into Diamond Island on the southwest corner. Wonder if that's what happened on Father's day?

Gatto Nero 09-05-2008 08:50 AM

That's the way I still do it, but I don't do it unless I know where I am and know that it works. You do have to be mindful that you are looking at the FL that you think you are but that's all part of the fun.

Misty Blue 09-12-2008 09:55 AM

Guiding lights.

That's what the chart and compass are for.

From one light find another light with a clear path that is going twards your destination. Using the compass rose come up with the course to the second light and use your compass to get you going in the right direction to the light.

It used to be that lights that were on land of stationary (nipple rock) gave two blinks per period to let you know that you can't go right up to them. Now I have noticed, since we have the new lights, that some of the floaters blink twice.

Another good one phantom!

Misty Blue.

Lakegeezer 09-12-2008 10:16 AM

While you can see FL72 from FL14 (going north towards Lees Mills from M'boro bay), if you try to go in a straight line between the FLs, you will hit rocks.

SIKSUKR 09-12-2008 12:23 PM

I see lots of places where that would not work.FL2 by Eagle Isl and FL44.FL71 and FL27 in the Witches.FL62 by Long Isl and FL7 by Six Mile.FL49 and FL11 near the Graveyard.These are just a few examples.