Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   BMW Electric Boat (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29263)

TiltonBB 12-22-2023 05:16 PM

BMW Electric Boat

This flying yacht is just like my boat, only different!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr2elWxmk-0

If the link fails look for BMW Flying Glass Yacht on You Tube

Slickcraft 12-22-2023 06:00 PM

Some interesting concepts. A sure winner of any ugly boat contest.

Alan

The Real BigGuy 12-23-2023 09:51 AM

No uglier than one of the big pontoons! Fully enclosed w/AC but still with full views, pretty cool. Unfortunately, probably cost prohibitive for 95% of the population.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

FlyingScot 12-23-2023 10:29 AM

Very cool, but not my cup of tea, at any price--why would you want to be indoors?

I assume the glass is to reduce wind resistance and thus increase range, even with the extra weight. But maybe it's also a market segmentation thing, and certain people prefer to be indoors on their boat?

One funny thing--at speed, these would be OK in a no wake zone...at least on paper...at least for now

Descant 12-23-2023 10:49 AM

Hydrofoils have long fascinated me. Amazing on the big ferries that island hop in the Mediterranean, my only experience. I guess the BMW, like pontoons, is mostly a day boat-didn't see a head, galley, stateroom. Be fun to follow as they develop more models.

brk-lnt 12-23-2023 05:23 PM

It's almost like it was designed by an AI to win an ugly boat contest.

Descant 12-23-2023 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brk-lnt (Post 390129)
It's almost like it was designed by an AI to win an ugly boat contest.

That's a real challenge. There are SOOO many ugly boats out there these days...

8gv 12-23-2023 09:03 PM

Bring More Wrenches meets Bail More Water :eek:

John Mercier 12-25-2023 07:42 PM

Maybe the ICON is going toward an upscale water taxi or tender.
The OPEN seems a bit more like what most would suspect to be a day boat or overnight where allowed.

The Real BigGuy 12-27-2023 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 390116)
Very cool, but not my cup of tea, at any price--why would you want to be indoors?

I assume the glass is to reduce wind resistance and thus increase range, even with the extra weight. But maybe it's also a market segmentation thing, and certain people prefer to be indoors on their boat?

One funny thing--at speed, these would be OK in a no wake zone...at least on paper...at least for now

Re: No wake zone. Nope, the regs now say the slowest speed possible to maintain control of your boat. No reference to making a wake.

SAMIAM 12-28-2023 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy (Post 390115)
No uglier than one of the big pontoons! Fully enclosed w/AC but still with full views, pretty cool. Unfortunately, probably cost prohibitive for 95% of the population.

Dissing "toons"......how dare you?Go to your room.
They have changed over the years some have a sleek tapered bow
and a sport arch....very cool helms in some high end boats.
Take a look at a Bennington 30' Blackout with twin 450s and tell me its not a cool boat........Also tritoons track as well as most V hulls and stay pretty dry in
most swells.
I get 50MPH with a single 300 and get lots of thumbs up at the docks (boat is in Florida....that means old people like it : )

samosetguy 12-28-2023 11:54 AM

Draft?

Cool boat. I'd be curious to know the draft. On Lake Winni, having a long draft can be a huge liability especially late in the season. :-)

FlyingScot 12-28-2023 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samosetguy (Post 390206)
Cool boat. I'd be curious to know the draft. On Lake Winni, having a long draft can be a huge liability especially late in the season. :-)

Excellent point. Didn't the video say 1/2 meter above the water. Throw in some more cm's to keep those blades submerged at speed, and it's quite a bit. Plus, I don't even want to think about the repair cost/time

DickR 12-28-2023 02:55 PM

Does anyone know if the hydrofoils are designed to shear off on impact with, say, a log or piece of dock framing from ice-out damage? I would think that would be smart design, for protection of the occupants and to keep a foil from ripping a chunk out of the hull.