Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New to boating looking for advice on GPS's (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20292)

Rattletrap 03-01-2016 10:27 AM

New to boating looking for advice on GPS's

Thank you everyone for this forum i think its great! With that being said. I'm just about to pull the trigger on a new pontoon Bennington 18' Pontoon boat and plan on using it on Winni.Could you please give me advise on GSP units what do i need? Do i need a chart plotter? What should i be looking for ect.

thank you

thinkxingu 03-01-2016 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattletrap (Post 257817)
Thank you everyone for this forum i think its great! With that being said. I'm just about to pull the trigger on a new pontoon Bennington 18' Pontoon boat and plan on using it on Winni.Could you please give me advise on GSP units what do i need? Do i need a chart plotter? What should i be looking for ect.

thank you

Welcome to the forum, and boat ownership. Take a moment and do a search, and you'll find a few recent threads dealing with this question, among them information on a really good sale at Bass Pro Shops.

Good luck!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

LIforrelaxin 03-01-2016 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattletrap (Post 257817)

thank you

I wouldn't worry about a Chart Plotter, And for a GPS I would only worry about that if you plan to try night boating...... What you do however really need to do is to go get a map of the lake... Bizer is probably the easiest to use, but the Duncan press version is also good.

Why do I suggest a map? Not only will it aid in navigation, but as you begin boating on Winni it will help you chart your adventures....

While GPS units can be used, some of which are coming with markers already in them.... the best way to learn the lake is by using a map.....and asking questions....

radioman 03-01-2016 11:33 AM

New to boating

Excellent previous advice! Make certain that whatever unit you select, will be compatible with the Bizer Chip. Winni is not forgiving, make certain that you study and are comfortable with the Spar Navigation System. (See page 15 of the NH Boaters Guide available at all marinas and from NH Lakes Assoc, Concord NH ) And yes, go for the Chart Plotter.

Greene's Basin Girl 03-01-2016 02:09 PM

An 18' pontoon boat will be rough ride if you travel through the broads. I have a 24' pontoon and it handle chop very well.

Cobalt 25 03-01-2016 09:19 PM

Simple GPS or more advanced chartplotter is a matter of personal choice, but in my mind a chart is an absolute must.

I believe most Garmin units require a chip for Lake Winni at an additional cost of maybe $125. When I use my 700 series Garmin chartplotter on the lake it shows me almost nothing except waypoints. I am mostly an ocean boater.

I'm hoping some folks with GPS/chartplotters can add to the discussion about chips needed. I still keep my chart handy after 50 years of navigating and enjoying the lake.

Peter

thinkxingu 03-01-2016 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobalt 25 (Post 257868)
I'm hoping some folks with GPS/chartplotters can add to the discussion about chips needed. I still keep my chart handy after 50 years of navigating and enjoying the lake.

Peter

The Garmin GPS units can come with LakeVU HD maps, which for Winnipesaukee are great.

kawishiwi 03-01-2016 09:49 PM

Others...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobalt 25 (Post 257868)
Simple GPS or more advanced chartplotter is a matter of personal choice, but in my mind a chart is an absolute must.

I believe most Garmin units require a chip for Lake Winni at an additional cost of maybe $125. When I use my 700 series Garmin chartplotter on the lake it shows me almost nothing except waypoints. I am mostly an ocean boater.

Peter

As a fisherman I run both Lowrance w Navionics chip & Humminbird w Lakemaster chip. Both have buoys and bad rocks well located. Lakemaster has much better depth detail. If you are not fishing then Id suggest listening to the old hands here and go with their wisdom. You can go to bass pro shops and look at most of the electronic options. I would DEFINITELY advise having both a paper bizer map (w extra copy on board) AND the best gps you can afford. Trying to find spar buoys at night, once, without gps, will convince you of the gps!

RUGMAN 03-02-2016 07:31 AM

Also new to boating on the lake

just saw garmin 73dv with lake vu on bass pro shop site for $424.00. has winni on it.

Mrcrete 03-02-2016 07:39 PM

Ipad

I bought bad elf for my iPad which makes it locate off satellite $99 navionics app
$49 double sided tape to attach to my console. $4
Works awesome

regalguy 03-02-2016 07:50 PM

Lake chart

I would tell you to save your money on the GPS unless you just like to spend money. :D Get yourself a nice laminated chart and use it. It won't take you long to know your way around. Just my opinion. Safe boating

chillininnh 03-03-2016 02:47 PM

I sell the Raymarine Dragonfly 5M with C-Map Essentials bundle. So easy to use you don't need a manual. It's a 2 wire install, out the door for well under $500. I don't like the Garmin software at all, it's too busy, too focused on fishing with all the contouring. The C-Map software is based on the Bizer chart and is the superior choice for simplicity and accuracy.

Phantom 03-03-2016 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regalguy (Post 257930)
I would tell you to save your money on the GPS unless you just like to spend money. :D Get yourself a nice laminated chart and use it. It won't take you long to know your way around. Just my opinion. Safe boating

If you look at the many other threads on this topic you will see that no one believes a GPS is better than being versed in the "old fashion" navigation by chart.

HOWEVER, no matter how well you know the lake (and I feel quite confident) a GPS is an absolute awesome "addition" when boating at night.

Loub52 03-03-2016 06:11 PM

Having a GPS is a great way to cross reference where you are on the Bizer, and the Bizer is invaluable. One last thing, get a GPS you can see...e.g, whether you use eye glasses, contacts or not, its great to be able to effortlessly glance down for your position if your attention gets diverted.

pjard 03-03-2016 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 257993)
If you look at the many other threads on this topic you will see that no one believes a GPS is better than being versed in the "old fashion" navigation by chart.

HOWEVER, no matter how well you know the lake (and I feel quite confident) a GPS is an absolute awesome "addition" when boating at night.

THANK YOU! I can't believe anyone would NOT suggest a GPS vs. a map. A map is great (Bizer is awesome, Duncan Press not so much), but nothing is better than a GPS. I have a Humminbird which uses the Navionics database....it's pretty darn accurate...even has individual docks that are correct in size and shape.

MikeF-NH 03-04-2016 07:59 AM

on a big lake like this with many hazards and unexpected dangers for a new boater, I recommend BOTH a GPS with chip and a map/compass.

I started with a GPS with no chip and a Bizer map. The GPS gave me my general location and the map let me see the detail I needed to navigate. This meant I would often stop at planned points and pull out the map to confirm where I was and where I was headed. It also meant careful planning before i left the dock.

Now with the GPS with chip (Navionics is GREAT). I rely heavily on that as it give the detail of the map but is easily read at a glance though I seldom have to look as I have become more familiar. Don't get used to staring at the GPS though...your eyes should be on the water but slowing down for a quick look is fine. HOWEVER, I still carry my map and compass because like all electronics...anything can happen and leave you blind without a map. The Bizer also has lots of other information that Navionics does not like places to get gas, food etc.

Rattletrap 03-04-2016 08:35 AM

GPS/Chartploter only

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjard (Post 258005)
THANK YOU! I can't believe anyone would NOT suggest a GPS vs. a map. A map is great (Bizer is awesome, Duncan Press not so much), but nothing is better than a GPS. I have a Humminbird which uses the Navionics database....it's pretty darn accurate...even has individual docks that are correct in size and shape.

That's what i'm looking for the boat is coming with a depth finder and i just want a GPS/Chartploter i looked on line real nice. Where do you sell them?

Phantom 03-04-2016 08:54 AM

Rattletrap --

Sounds like your new to boating on Winni .... Welcome !

From your first post, you are getting a 18' Pontoon - so no major concern (as you will have a shallow draft) - but in your last post you mention the boat is coming equipped with a Depth Finder.

Please be aware that the LAST piece of electronics of any value on a boat on Winni is a depth finder. We are a glacial lake.... rocks "Pop Up" out of nowhere and are in the most unexpected areas. Thus the markers.

By the time your Depth Finder alarm goes off you've already experienced the THUD of hitting that rock and are now back to 10-30 ft of water. This is true along shorelines as well.

You didn't mention it directly, but I don't want you to think that a depth finder will have ANY value --- other than amusement that you are in 180' (or whatever) of water or to watch how rapidly you go from 100' depth to 25' and back again i.e. the rocks

Again -- Welcome & safe boating

Orion 03-04-2016 08:56 AM

respectfully disagree with some

I have to say that I would by far prefer a GPS to a map if I had to pick. The GPS includes the chart and tells you where you are on it. Of course constant visual and depth confirmation are used to cross-check the GPS whenever I go out. Navigating this lake at night without GPS is very difficult. Heck, navigating this lake in daytime can be difficult, and we won't even talk about fog (if you're an islander, you'll encounter this). I do have paper charts in both boats and my cell phone also has the Navionics app (which is excellent, and I sometimes hand off to a passenger when night navigating to back me up). As for my background, I was a trained U.S. Navy navigator, and navigated across the ocean using a sextant and LORAN. Give me a modern GPS any day!

Cobalt 25 03-06-2016 09:53 PM

I don't mean to quibble but I always thought you used "maps" on a highway and "charts" on the water. :)

Peter

Gray Ghost 03-07-2016 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobalt 25 (Post 258089)
I don't mean to quibble but I always thought you used "maps" on a highway and "charts" on the water. :)

Peter

That is why they call a marine GPS units Chart Plotters.

Rich 03-09-2016 08:23 PM

I've got a few year old Garmin chart plotter/depth/gps that I should probably sell. But I think it's on my boat, so I can't get to it until unrwap time.

It was new on a boat I sold a few years ago, and I used it as a 'spare', but one doesn't really need a backup chart plotter on Winni. My back up is my paper chart.

townsde 03-15-2016 07:52 AM

Yes get a GPS

I always have a GPS on my boat and a Bizer Chart. I use the Bizer chip in my GPS so my GPS screen and the Bizer chart are showing me the same thing.

I like and use Garmin GPS units however since Jan 2015 Garmin has changed their units so they do not accept 3rd party chips like Navionics or Bizer.

In my opinion, the Garmin Lakeview Chart is OK for fishing but not for navigation on Winni.

Take a look at The other units but be sure they will work with the Bizer chip.

Rattletrap 03-18-2016 10:45 AM

Gps

I was reading some reviews as i don't know much about these. Do all units allow you to put in a way point and then give you the basic safe route to that point regardless of what obstacles are in the way?

Salty 03-18-2016 10:47 AM

I do not know of any that do that. You have to create your own routes.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Orion 03-19-2016 12:21 PM

auto routing

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattletrap (Post 258819)
I was reading some reviews as i don't know much about these. Do all units allow you to put in a way point and then give you the basic safe route to that point regardless of what obstacles are in the way?

The Navionics boating app for smartphones or tablets allows you to do that with an in-app purchase option. Out of curiosity, I tried it on a route from Moultonborough Bay to Meredith and it did a pretty good job.

thinkxingu 03-19-2016 12:56 PM

My Garmin will do that. It uses the "suggested safe passage" routes.

persistence 03-21-2016 08:20 AM

I'm mainly on salt water, where I have a mounted chart plotter and I keep an older Garmin Colorado running for backup. It's also nice for passengers to look at without cramming the helm. I always have paper charts on board. I've had nav systems go down together, and its pretty nice to pull that chart out when needed. it usually happens as you approach a shoal or at speed :)

I think the same goes for the lake. Always have a paper chart on board. I'm learning the lake, and have found that the navionics app with my Iphone is pretty nice. it covers the U.S. and I was happy to see the lake included. A good way to learn is keep the gps running and compare landmarks to the chart as you go.

Rattletrap 03-21-2016 10:54 AM

Garmin

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 258950)
My Garmin will do that. It uses the "suggested safe passage" routes.

What model do you have?

thinkxingu 03-21-2016 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattletrap (Post 259027)
What model do you have?

50DV, a couple years old--I think it's the 55 now? Really like it and have had no issues with it on the northern part of the lake, which is what most consider to be the trickiest section.