Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Where were all the boats going today? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19692)

Just Wonderin 08-16-2015 05:48 PM

Where were all the boats going today?

We were on the northeast side of Cow Island this morning around 11:00 am (I think) and saw a parade of boats coming from the direction of the Broads, heading in the direction of 20 Mile Bay. Does anyone know where these boats were going? Just curious.

VitaBene 08-16-2015 06:50 PM

A lot of marinas do trips together. Maybe that?

tis 08-16-2015 07:03 PM

I don't know about those boats, but the lake was very busy today. Yesterday was very quiet, almost no boats in the broads. We can't figure it out!!

Just Wonderin 08-16-2015 09:06 PM

Definitely an organized outing

We really didn't count, but there were probably 30 boats in a relatively slow, single file procession. Other than after the fireworks, on the 4th of July, we've never seen such a line of boats.

upthesaukee 08-16-2015 10:12 PM

West Alton Marina Group

In another Social Media outlet, there was an aerial picture of them, and it said there were 31 boats from West Alton out for a ride together. Looked like fun. Just rechecked the post I referred to, and the group was going from WAM to Green's Basin... nice ride!!!!!

Greene's Basin Girl 08-17-2015 02:03 AM

The boats came up into Green's Basin. My sister counted 32 of them. She said the marine patrol was there and traveled out with the boats as they left the basin.

AC2717 08-17-2015 07:43 AM

it was a green's basin run that was set up a couple years ago
they run up there together no affiliations required but like an informal invite.
they also hired the helicopter to do an large arial and also individuals.

last I heard there was only going to be 15 or so, glad it turned out bigger maybe should of went but was enjoying a real lazy do nothing day on the deck and couch

stephensargent 08-17-2015 01:03 PM

They did at least a full lap around Diamond, causing an unusual amount of shoreline erosion.

brk-lnt 08-17-2015 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephensargent (Post 250260)
They did at least a full lap around Diamond, causing an unusual amount of shoreline erosion.

Really? All the activity on the lake on any given weekend and those 30 boats caused an "unusual" amount of erosion?

ishoot308 08-17-2015 02:25 PM

Give Me A Break!

Quote:

That's honestly the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard! Diamond island is in the middle of the broads. One good wind / rain storm causes more erosion than a lifetime of Winni boating!

I guess there's always going to be one curmudgeon in the crowd!

Dan

Rusty 08-17-2015 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 250264)
Diamond island is in the middle of the broads.
Dan

It is? :confused:

VitaBene 08-17-2015 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 250266)

Maybe not dead center, but next to Rattlesnake is the broads IMO

Rusty 08-17-2015 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 250267)
Maybe not dead center, but next to Rattlesnake is the broads IMO

I know where it is and it sure isn't in the middle of the broads.

ishoot308 08-17-2015 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 250266)

I would consider Welch, Diamond, Rattlesnake and Parker all part of the broads.
Point being boat traffic has such little effect on these islands compared to Mother Nature. I see it first hand as I live on the windy side of Welch. One good storm would equal decades of boating! Saying that 30 boats going around diamond caused erosion is laughable at best...

noreast 08-17-2015 04:59 PM

Quote:

You have to be kidding? right? Every thread has some one say something so ridiculous that they all turn into fights.

noreast 08-17-2015 05:05 PM

And yes, it's right in the broads. nothing protecting It from the worst of the water abuse. why do people feel the need to nit pick every point. unbelievable.

topwater 08-17-2015 10:09 PM

I haven't been on here for months. I find it funny that just today, matter of fact probably 6:30 this evening, a friend of mine that lives on Diamond was telling me about the huge waves these boats caused. Just sayin.

magicrobotmonkey 08-18-2015 07:27 AM

We definitely got knocked around a bit by their wakes in our 20' bowrider. It was an otherwise exceptionally smooth ride from Fay's to West Alton.

Winnisquamer 08-18-2015 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noreast (Post 250271)
You have to be kidding? right? Every thread has some one say something so ridiculous that they all turn into fights.

Comical some of the complaints. Next we will see people complaining about traveling by water when they live on an island.

magicrobotmonkey 08-18-2015 03:48 PM

My only complaint was that I wasn't invited, I haven't been all the way to greenes basin yet...

stephensargent 08-18-2015 07:20 PM

The shoreline of Diamond is rocky ledge backed up by trees & shrubbery. I imagine a million boat wakes that hit the rocks would do no damage. A few that wash over them will tend to wash soil, pine needles, small children and so forth back into the lake. Perhaps many boats, not quite on plane & very close together made the wakes larger than normal - I don't know, I am not an expert There was quite a mess in the water after the parade went by. In any case, I did not complain, I just observed.

As far as my comment being "honestly the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard!", on this forum that's quite an accomplishment :)

Redwing 08-20-2015 09:36 AM

Brigade of boats

The boats were going very slowly and created very little wakes when they got to our area, just before Green's Basin. I thought they were rafters, but that did not happen. They went to Green's Basin, turned around and headed back. A very respectable fleet, from what I could see.

KPW 08-21-2015 07:53 AM

The wakes they created as they plowed through the Barber Pole were HUGE!! It would have been better if they had been on plane.

Coolbreeze 08-23-2015 03:08 PM

We had a Tsunami alert on Barndoor related to it.