Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Gas Buddy (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18637)

SteveA 01-08-2015 12:06 PM

Gas Buddy

1 Attachment(s)
A Friend told me about this "App" for my phone (Android) called "Gas Buddy".

It's a free app and what it does is list all of the local gas prices based on where you are driving. Very cool and it works really well. It is updated by drivers that use the app and "report" the prices they are paying.

This is scan of the app from my cell phone.

Attachment 10234

Happy Gourmand 01-08-2015 12:11 PM

Gas Buddy

Been using it for quite some time. Very handy. Interesting to see the price differences in an area. And it's quite accurate as is is updated by users.

glennsteely 01-08-2015 12:21 PM

Also a user....

Ive been using it for the better part of the year, i guess, and i agree....very handy, i love it. I am a reg. User and i update all the time, in fact, you can earn free gas for doing so!! Here in jersey, we are approaching the $2.00 mark, where are you guys in the lakes region? At the rate it has been falling, and if it continues to do so, we should be under $2.00 by next week.......man! When was the last time gas was under $2.00 a gallon?

Slickcraft 01-08-2015 12:30 PM

You can also use the Gas Buddy mobile web site using your phone's browser and "tap to find gas near me".

glennsteely 01-08-2015 12:37 PM

usually....

it does work by location, but I just really love to use it by zip code....

upthesaukee 01-08-2015 12:41 PM

And a map feature as well...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickcraft (Post 238502)
You can also use the Gas Buddy mobile web site using your phone's browser and "tap to find gas near me".

I knew I was particularly low on gas for my car, and went on Gas Buddy, clicked on "find gas near me" which would give me the high price of gas in Alton, clicked on the map icon to display the map. I then scrolled westbound to Gilford and Laconia, and found the Irving Station on Union Ave at $2.16.9, considerably cheaper than Alton. On the way back from LRGH, we headed over to the station on our way back home.

Great App. Also use it a lot traveling. Sometimes by driving a mile away from the interstate you can find gas 10 cents or more cheaper than the stations at the interchange.

fatlazyless 01-08-2015 12:50 PM

....fix the miserable state roads!

$2.139/gal at the Irving in Meredith at the bottom of high school hill on Rt 25 today ....say-hey....with these super-duper low gas prices, maybe the state legislature should consider a temporary 25-cent/gal road tax dedicated to repairing and repaving the NH state roads like Rt 109 in Moultonborough, Rt 25-B in Centre Harbor, and Meredith Neck Rd in Meredith....and to keep this temporary road tax going as long as gasoline costs less than $2.75/gallon.....don't-a-they know-it's about thyme to fix these miserable olde, worn-out roads with some smooth new asphalt!

As you know, Republicans are famous for saying NO to everything, but here's a great opportunity for the brand new Republican-NH majorities in both the house and senate to be happy to say YES to something that needs to get done.

www.continentalpaving.com in Hudson, NH, has the best looking trucks and paving equipment....so's 2015 and 2016 and 2017 is the time to get it done!

If your house has an asphalt shingle roof and you wait too long to replace it, then it starts to leak worse and worse as time goes by. Ditto that for an asphalt paved road....they don't last indefinitely....and after years of patching....all you got left is a road that is all patches and no smooth asphalt....and that's what makes it a republican road! Like.....oh yeah....we know this here road is so rough that it just wants to swallow up your car as you is a-driving along.....but that's what you got when you is driving a republican road....and you just get used to driving all those rough republican roads around here.....oh yeah!....it's a republican road.....so's what do you expect!

Rusty 01-08-2015 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 238506)

As you know, Republicans are famous for saying NO to everything, but here's a great opportunity for the brand new Republican-NH majorities in both the house and senate to be happy to say YES to something that needs to get done.

Never happen!

SIKSUKR 01-08-2015 03:10 PM

First time I've seen these prices around here for a while. Mobil in Manchester has $1.99 with a paid carwash on Monday I believe.

webmaster 01-08-2015 03:15 PM

Some Costco locations are now at $1.99.

ghfromaltonbay 01-08-2015 05:14 PM

$1.99 in North Jersey today!

Quote:

Originally Posted by glennsteely (Post 238500)
Ive been using it for the better part of the year, i guess, and i agree....very handy, i love it. I am a reg. User and i update all the time, in fact, you can earn free gas for doing so!! Here in jersey, we are approaching the $2.00 mark, where are you guys in the lakes region? At the rate it has been falling, and if it continues to do so, we should be under $2.00 by next week.......man! When was the last time gas was under $2.00 a gallon?

Passed 2 stations (Lukoil & Jersey Gas) both selling regular at $1.99.

Thanks, Slickcraft for the app. I'm glad to see the Mobil in Gilford is fast approaching NJ prices. As Uppy reported, good old Alton is higher than everyone else. I usually avoid filling up there and either go to Gilford or to Blueberry Station in Barnstead (both Mobil) depending on which way my travels take me.

Lakegeezer 01-09-2015 08:59 AM

Do your part

While you are pumping, use the other hand to get out your phone and update the prices that you are seeing on the pump. Use the "gas near me" function and the station you are at should be first on the list. I'm finding them wrong about half the time. There aren't enough folks around here updating Gas Buddy. Great app!

upthesaukee 01-09-2015 09:04 AM

Just do me a favor, please...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakegeezer (Post 238529)
While you are pumping, use the other hand to get out your phone and update the prices that you are seeing on the pump. Use the "gas near me" function and the station you are at should be first on the list. I'm finding them wrong about half the time. There aren't enough folks around here updating Gas Buddy. Great app!

Before you pump gas and use your cell phone for any purpose at the same time, especially in warmer weather where gas fumes become more prevalent, look around for my car (PAR-1 Veteran's Plate), and if seen, wait til I leave the area. Please. ;):)

But yes, do update the gas prices as soon as you can do that safely.

Rusty 01-09-2015 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 238530)
Before you pump gas and use your cell phone for any purpose at the same time, especially in warmer weather where gas fumes become more prevalent, look around for my car (PAR-1 Veteran's Plate), and if seen, wait til I leave the area. Please. ;):)

But yes, do update the gas prices as soon as you can do that safely.

If you can give me one documented (and proven) explosion from someone using a cell phone while fueling their gas tank, I will be more then happy to honor your request.

B-Laps 01-09-2015 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveA (Post 238496)
A Friend told me about this "App" for my phone (Android) called "Gas Buddy".

It's a free app and what it does is list all of the local gas prices based on where you are driving. Very cool and it works really well. It is updated by drivers that use the app and "report" the prices they are paying.

This is scan of the app from my cell phone.

Attachment 10234

If you press and hold your power button and home button at the same time your phone will take a screen shot and save it in your pictures. Then you can upload it like you would do with your camera photos.

Barney Bear 01-09-2015 10:10 AM

Low Gas Price

Paid $176.9 in southwestern Ohio last week. :)

WakeboardMom 01-09-2015 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 238531)
If you can give me one documented (and proven) explosion from someone using a cell phone while fueling their gas tank, I will be more then happy to honor your request.

The nice man at Sam's has reminded me once or twice that I cannot have my phone in one hand and the gas pump in the other. I haven't asked him yet for the documentation. :)

Phantom 01-09-2015 11:01 AM

I think somewhere further up this thread someone mentioned that it is only an Android App.

It is also iOS compatible

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gasb...406719683?mt=8

Too bad we didn't have one for the Marina's on the Lake during (dare I say it) BOATING Season !

which after saying it -- I wonder if we all could enter the various Marina's ?

BroadHopper 01-09-2015 11:11 AM

Gas Buddy

Been using this on my mobile browser before it became an app. I travel all over the state, about 30K a year and it helps tremendously!

Another app just recent is the 'NH Alerts' app sponsored by NH.gov. It will tell you road conditions and accidents ahead.
http://www.readynh.gov/alerts/index.htm.
Another recent app which I used for my NC trip is 'Waze'. Alerts you of Smoky Bear and cars on the side of the roads.

Merrymeeting 01-09-2015 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 238531)

http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp

glennsteely 01-09-2015 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay (Post 238517)
passed 2 stations (lukoil & jersey gas) both selling regular at $1.99.

Thanks, slickcraft for the app. I'm glad to see the mobil in gilford is fast approaching nj prices. As uppy reported, good old alton is higher than everyone else. I usually avoid filling up there and either go to gilford or to blueberry station in barnstead (both mobil) depending on which way my travels take me.

yes!!! We are officially at $1.98 in a few spots this morning!!!

Rusty 01-09-2015 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WakeboardMom (Post 238541)
The nice man at Sam's has reminded me once or twice that I cannot have my phone in one hand and the gas pump in the other. I haven't asked him yet for the documentation. :)

I agree, but it's not because of an explosion. You shouldn't be talking on a cell phone and pumping gas because there is a potential of you pumping gas somewhere other then your tank. It's the same as not paying attention to what you are doing while driving. WE all need to concentrate on the task at hand when it comes to doing anything around a motor vehicle.

Lakeboater 01-09-2015 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay (Post 238517)
Passed 2 stations (Lukoil & Jersey Gas) both selling regular at $1.99.

Thanks, Slickcraft for the app. I'm glad to see the Mobil in Gilford is fast approaching NJ prices. As Uppy reported, good old Alton is higher than everyone else. I usually avoid filling up there and either go to Gilford or to Blueberry Station in Barnstead (both Mobil) depending on which way my travels take me.

Gas at the Alton traffic circle was $2.159 this afternoon. Cheaper than Irving in Allentown.

glennsteely 01-10-2015 07:41 AM

Heres a question.....

When in the lakes region, can you use the app somehow to find prices of gas on the water? Just a curiosity......i bet you can see how great that would be!!

chaseisland 01-10-2015 09:21 AM

Free gas

I've plotted the price of gas during the past several months and have arrived at the conclusion that gas will be free on June 8, 2016.

Lakeboater 01-10-2015 10:05 AM

winnigas.com

I don't think the app works for the lake but winnigas.com is an option for boat gas. I use it and like it. Like gasbuddy the more people who use it and update the better it works.

Phantom 01-12-2015 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakeboater (Post 238572)
I don't think the app works for the lake but winnigas.com is an option for boat gas. I use it and like it. .

WOW --

I didn't know that this existed !!

mcdude 01-14-2015 09:53 AM

Laconia Daily Sun
Quote:

Price of gas below $2 at handful of local stations
  • LACONIA — Three of the 10 filling stations in the city reporting to the Gas Buddy website, which closely monitors fuel prices in the United States and Canada, are selling regular unleaded gasoline for less than $2 a gallon for the first time in nearly six years.
Yesterday Oasis Gas and Mini Market at the foot of Prescott Hill and Premium Mart on Court Street posted the lowest price of $1.97 per gallon, followed closely by Shop Express at the corner of Union Avenue and Gilford Avenue. Prices at eight of the 10 stations were below the average price in New Hampshire of $2.20 per gallon, 10 cents above the national average. Prices are also below $2 per gallon at the Irving stations in Belmont and Tilton and at the Citgo station at the Airport Country Store & Deli in Gilford.
In the past year the average price of gasoline in the state has fallen $1.20, from $3.40 to $2.20 per gallon, or by more than a third. In the last month , and has dropped n 50 cents per gallon in the last month alone and by more than a dime in the last week.
"It's a crazy market," said Dave DeVoy, who owns and operates the Gilford Mobil Mart. "We're changing prices every day." He expected every station in the local market to be selling at less than $2 per gallon by next week. He was at $2.02 on Tuesday.
With rapidly falling and frequently changing prices, DeVoy said that he aims to hold on to his regular customers by pegging prices to his major competitors, Irving and Cumberland Farms, maintaining his profit margins. He said that because stations like Oasis Gas and Mini Market and Premium Mart purchase unbranded gasoline for less than the cost of branded gasoline he cannot meet their price. But, he added that when prices fall sharply, consumers, who are paying significantly less to fill their tanks, are less likely to shop around to save a penny or two than they are when prices are rising.
Apart from tracking the competition, DeVoy said that the 2 percent he pays on credit card transactions also factors into his pricing strategy. "When I started in the business," he recalled, "20 percent of customers paid with credit cards, but today its 80 percent. For every dollar of gas I sell on a credit card, I get 98 cents."
Wholesale price declines, which have outpaced price cuts at the pump, have significantly reduced costs and raised profits to station owners. According to the Oil Price Information Service for the past five years retail prices have exceeded wholesale prices by about 17 cents, a difference that has stretched to more than 21 cents. Butt, discounting for credit card fees and other operating costs, the National Association of Convenience Stores reports that the net profit of gasoline sales averages approximately three cents,
DeVoy acknowledged that his costs have dropped, but cautioned that as prices continue to fall, he must price to avoid the risk of paying more for the gas he purchases than he receives for the gas he sells. "I can't sell below cost," he said flatly, "but I'll take low gas prices any time. The only ones getting hurt are big oil and big banks."

fatlazyless 01-20-2015 08:03 AM

.... $1.99/gal in Holderness-Plymouth metro area

Rt 93-Exit 25 which is actually in Holderness, but probably enroute to nearby Plymouth; yesterday it was 1.999 at both the Citgo and the Irving close to exit 25.........whoopee-cheap gas.....time to raise the NH gasoline tax to 25-cents while the prices are so low.....and repair the four mile long Rt 25-B in Center Harbor and the six mile long Meredith Neck Rd, an un-numbered state road.

Gotta make hay while the sun shines.....and ditto that....fix the crappy state roads while the gasoline-diesel prices is so low.

SIKSUKR 01-20-2015 11:14 AM

$1.87 2 places in Loudon

BroadHopper 01-20-2015 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIKSUKR (Post 239021)
$1.87 2 places in Loudon

Good reason to travel 106. I happen to like the slower pace. Too many boneheads on 93.

chipj29 01-21-2015 09:00 AM

Irving at exit 10 in Hooksett (right on your way to the lake) is at $1.99 as of this AM.

fatlazyless 01-21-2015 09:23 AM

.....high priced hamburger!

I refuse to pay more than 2.99 for a pound of hamburger, so's I have not been eating any hamburger, except at mcdonald's dollar menu for the last six months or so.....so's here's hoping this less than 2-dollar gas has something to do with lowering the high price of hamburger.

For about 21-dollars I was able to fill up the tank at the Plymouth Citgo today for 1.979/gal for about 10 1/2 gal in a twelve gal tank.......let me see....a few years back when I was driving a full-sized pickup truck with a V-6 manual, I was paying over 60-dollars to fill the tank......and now with a four cylinder-manual smaller car...it is costing about 20-dollars to totally fill the tank.....well... God bless America!....and so when does the price of hamburger go back to 2.99/lb!

SIKSUKR 01-21-2015 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 239069)
I refuse to pay more than 2.99 for a pound of hamburger, so's I have not been eating any hamburger, except at mcdonald's dollar menu for the last six months or soGod bless America!....and so when does the price of hamburger go back to 2.99/lb!

This is funny.You need to do some math.That dollar hamburger is 1/8 of a pound so about $8 a pound.:laugh:

BroadHopper 01-21-2015 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIKSUKR (Post 239079)
This is funny.You need to do some math.That dollar hamburger is 1/8 of a pound so about $8 a pound.:laugh:

and about 18 other nasty ingredients.

fatlazyless 01-30-2015 01:20 PM

... Plymouth State Potholes...go team go!

About 1.94/gal at the Irving and Citgo close to Route 93-Exit 25 which is a super-duper low price.....very close to Plymouth State University.....hurray for low gas prices....what a welcome surprise!

And, with all the crumbling state roads here in NH, it's about time the legislature actually acted responsible and did something about it. I propose the legislature pass a law to rename the Plymouth State Panthers, the mascot for the Plymouth State University various athletic teams like hockey, football, and basketball and change it to Plymouth State Potholes.....a name to remember....and very appropriate for New Hampshire.....the Plymouth State Potholes......go team go!

What the heck.....will cost a lot less to just rename the sports teams than to get responsible and repave the roads....somewhat similar to posting a "frost heave" sign as opposed to fixing the problem.

Did you know that up in Burlington, Vermont, there's a basketball team named the Vermont Frost Heaves .....so's a NH Potholes team would be a natural....so's maybe you want to email your state rep....and suggest this solution for all the crumbling unnumbered state roads....around these here parts..... like the Meredith Neck Rd.

Rusty 01-30-2015 06:35 PM

The low price of gas will just make it cheaper for all of us to drive to the poor house. Oil is causing havoc in the stock market!!!!

Remember the 1987 Dow crash, it was foreshadowed by a tumble in oil price that ensued in the wake of disputes within OPEC - which had come to a head in the previous year.

Billy Bob 01-31-2015 10:31 AM

To much of a good thing

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 239533)
The low price of gas will just make it cheaper for all of us to drive to the poor house. Oil is causing havoc in the stock market!!!!

Remember the 1987 Dow crash, it was foreshadowed by a tumble in oil price that ensued in the wake of disputes within OPEC - which had come to a head in the previous year.

You have this right , prices have fallen to the point it is costing a good number of jobs and causing our drilling to come to a standstill . Our oil independence is being setback years by this cheap oil opportunity

BroadHopper 01-31-2015 11:07 AM

Menwhile

Obama thinking he can curtail the job loss by having everyone buy a new and more efficient car as gas prices will go back up! Can you imagine the amount of gas you need to burn to come up with the average price of a vehicle which is $30,000?

Clearly did not think this one out!

Billy Bob 01-31-2015 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 239549)
Obama thinking he can curtail the job loss by having everyone buy a new and more efficient car as gas prices will go back up! Can you imagine the amount of gas you need to burn to come up with the average price of a vehicle which is $30,000?

Clearly did not think this one out!

What's your point ?

wifi 01-31-2015 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Bob (Post 239554)
What's your point ?

Wifi bites his tongue :rolleye1:

BroadHopper 02-02-2015 09:59 AM

Sure if you drive 1000 miles a day at 10 miles per gallon that's 100 gallons per day saving $1.00 per gallon or 100 $/day so in 300 days you have saved enough to buy a new car!

SIKSUKR 02-02-2015 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 239523)
About 1.94/gal at the Irving and Citgo close to Route 93-Exit 25 which is a super-duper low price.....very close to Plymouth State University

I filled up yesterday there for $1.91 on my way back from Cannon.:D

Rusty 02-03-2015 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Bob (Post 239547)
You have this right , prices have fallen to the point it is costing a good number of jobs and causing our drilling to come to a standstill . Our oil independence is being setback years by this cheap oil opportunity

Oil price goes up, stock market goes with it.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-sto...185408692.html

Billy Bob 02-05-2015 08:05 AM

Did you see GM is raising the dividend , a lot ! Also the line employees made an average of 9 k from the new replacement profit shareing .
Did you see Ford is hiring another 1500 employees to make the new f series trucks that stay on lots an average of 16 days rather then the historic 90
Did you see the higher priced ( 30k ) vehicles are selling at new historic levels .
Seems a lot of these policies have come together and are showing great results.

fatlazyless 02-05-2015 08:26 AM

O what the heck.....with gas below two-bucks.....think I'll run down to Irwin's and pick up a new 2015 f-150 Raptor for something like 50k-dollars.....or no....maybe I'm better off with a 1999 Ford Contour with 110k-miles from craigslist with an asking price of $500....what's the better everyday driver?

...so many car models.....so many prices....all have one thing in common...a car will not go without gas?.....and Exxon has fallen from something like 100 down to 90-share.....makes me feel so bad for all the exxon share holders....boo-hoo