Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Fire in Alton (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16838)

pjard 11-27-2013 06:34 AM

Fire in Alton

Does anyone know where exactly the fire is in Alton?

ishoot308 11-27-2013 06:37 AM

Somewhere right along the bay. Route 11 is completely closed from Gilford to the bay.

wifi 11-27-2013 06:38 AM

301 Mt Major Highway, I think it was a rekindle

riverat 11-27-2013 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjard (Post 215332)
Does anyone know where exactly the fire is in Alton?

WMUR reports this much info on their website

ALTON, N.H. —A portion of Route 11 was closed Wednesday morning while crews battled a house fire along the shore of Alton Bay.

Authorities said the road was shut down from Gilford to Route 11 D in Alton.

Crews were called to the scene twice overnight, and were still working to knock down the flames as of 5:45 a.m.

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/rou...#ixzz2lqSKpVnW

PaugusBayFireFighter 11-27-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wifi (Post 215334)

Not many things more embarrassing in the fire service than going to the same fire twice. Hopefully everyone stays safe.

Chaselady 11-27-2013 08:34 AM

Maybe this rain will help.

Just Sold 11-27-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wifi (Post 215334)

That would be next to the Mt Major Self Storage Facility at 305 opposite Keewayden Drive
and next to the Precious Gardens which is at 317. If that is correct - Ch 9 is reporting Rt 11 from the Gilford line to 11D is closed which is a totally different location.

nhboat61 11-27-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter (Post 215340)
Not many things more embarrassing in the fire service than going to the same fire twice. Hopefully everyone stays safe.

I agree... the ribbing you get from other departments, let alone the public hurts.

I know, been there.

upthesaukee 11-27-2013 09:20 AM

Wrong location address

I was listening to the scanner last night when the call came in.

Address was 3001 Mount Major Highway. Equipment responding staged at Minge cove rd.

Rte 11 is closed between rte 11D and rte 11A.

I believe that the structure is the house on the left when heading westbound that sells honey and maple sugar products, just after the left hand curve beyond Minge Cove Rd.

Lakeboater 11-27-2013 09:58 AM

3001?

I don't think that there is a 3001 Mt Major Hwy in Alton. 1600 is around Anniversary Hill.
Maybe 1301 was the address? But generally odd numbers are on the right hand side coming from the center of a town/city so that wouldn't work.

Slickcraft 11-27-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 215347)
I was listening to the scanner last night when the call came in.

Address was 3001 Mount Major Highway. Equipment responding staged at Minge cove rd.

Rte 11 is closed between rte 11D and rte 11A.

I believe that the structure is the house on the left when heading westbound that sells honey and maple sugar products, just after the left hand curve beyond Minge Cove Rd.

That is the location about 1/2 mile south of 11A on the narrow section of road, we just went by. Don't know about the street # but it is the place that sells maple syrup. Old house on a narrow section of road.

Barn burned,looks like they saved the house. Still a truck there to make sure it is really out.

Blue Thunder 11-27-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter (Post 215340)

Yup....if you are in the fire service long enough, it eventually happens. Been there done that too....

upthesaukee 11-27-2013 11:44 AM

You are correct on address

1301 Mt Major highway

upthesaukee 11-27-2013 12:04 PM

Maybe Alton is weird, but...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakeboater (Post 215351)
I don't think that there is a 3001 Mt Major Hwy in Alton. 1600 is around Anniversary Hill.
Maybe 1301 was the address? But generally odd numbers are on the right hand side coming from the center of a town/city so that wouldn't work.

Going away from the Center of town, virtually all streets in Alton are numbered outbound, with the odd numbers on the left. Alton Bay PO is #5, and Woodland Tavern is 1602. On my road, odd on the left as well. In fact, when E911 came in, we had to change from 297 to a higher number and even, as we are on the right side outbound.

PaugusBayFireFighter 11-27-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Thunder (Post 215357)
Yup....if you are in the fire service long enough, it eventually happens. Been there done that too....

Especially if your group was the original companies responding to the job, you declare "all out" and return. The next group comes on and responds to the same structure to mop up your mistake and look like the boobs that failed to put out hot spots. :laugh:
At that point you tend to get some crap from the other 3 groups...soon enough somebody else screws up and you're off the hook. As long as nobody gets hurt on the rekindle it's something you can constructively criticize and later chuckle about.

Lakeboater 11-27-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 215360)
Going away from the Center of town, virtually all streets in Alton are numbered outbound, with the odd numbers on the left. Alton Bay PO is #5, and Woodland Tavern is 1602. On my road, odd on the left as well. In fact, when E911 came in, we had to change from 297 to a higher number and even, as we are on the right side outbound.

In the towns that I am familiar with in the metro Boston area, as in Meredith, the odd numbered houses/businesses are on the right hand side going away from the center.

Coolbreeze 11-27-2013 02:59 PM

In this case, it was just follow the smoke.

rkwasson 11-27-2013 03:46 PM

1301 Mt Major Hwy.

It is my property, and the small rental house was the one that burned.

upthesaukee 11-27-2013 03:59 PM

Sorry for your loss.

Obviously, a very stubborn fire.

Glad no one was hurt, and of course property can be rebuilt.

Thanks for clarifying.

Slickcraft 11-27-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkwasson (Post 215375)

I went by and thought it a barn. Later my more observant wife went by and reported that is looked more like a cabin. After a later trip by she reported than the remains are down and pushed into a pile.

Sorry for your loss, hope no one was hurt. Must have been real scary for all involved.

BTW your maple syrup is first class, maybe folk should stop by and give it a try.

Slickcraft 11-28-2013 06:04 AM

More info today at Foster's:

Quote:

Fire destroys home, kills pets on day before Thanksgiving

By Mikaela K. Reynolds
mreynolds@fosters.com
Wednesday, November 27, 2013

ALTON — Just hours after firefighters put out a small bedroom fire that did minor damage, a home went up in flames again, killing pets and displacing a family on the day before Thanksgiving.

At 12:28 a.m., firefighters responded to the scene of a reported fire at 1301 Mount Major Highway. There they found a small fire in a bedroom with the mattress and nearby items burning. The fire was extinguished and the scene was cleared by 2:30 a.m., with some crews remaining until after 3 a.m.

But by 4:30 a.m., officials were called back to the scene for a fully involved fire. Route 11 to 11D in Alton were closed as firefighters battled the blaze. Chief Scott Williams said the fire consumed the home, describing it as a “total loss.”

Williams didn't know the cause of the second fire but didn't believe it was a result of the initial blaze.

“I feel confident that it was an extinguished fire,” he said of the first blaze. He said crews spent hours overhauling the scene and used a thermal imaging camera to confirm all hot spots had been addressed.

Though a cause for the initial fire was not determined, officials said residents of the home reported that one resident had a cigarette. Williams would not rule that out as a possible cause.

Local firefighters, with the help of crews from Farmington and New Durham, extinguished the second fire and called in the State Fire Marshal's Office to conduct an investigation. Williams said he could not comment on why the fire marshal was called.

The residents of the home let their pet dog and cat out during the first fire, but let them back in afterward. Both animals were in the home when the second fire began and perished during the blaze. The family of two adults and one child were uninjured and are now staying at a nearby home.

The State Fire Marshal's Office was expected to investigate the fire most of today.

riverat 11-28-2013 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickcraft (Post 215401)
More info today at Foster's:

Very sad, we are sorry for your loss of your beloved pets.

salty dog 11-28-2013 08:17 AM

Loss

Quote:

Very sorry for the loss of both property and pets. Very disheartening at any time of the year but especially during the holidays. Glad there were no other injuries.

MaidenCove07 11-28-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

So sorry for your loss........