Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   best sandbar at lake winnipesaukee (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16122)

rock bottom 07-14-2013 10:59 AM

best sandbar at lake winnipesaukee

I'm looking for the best sandbars to anchor at swim. Lake Winnipesaukee.

BobbyA 07-14-2013 12:10 PM

Braun bay Moultonborough By far

BobbyA 07-14-2013 12:18 PM

Best sandbar on WinnipesaukeeBraun bay

Braun bay Moultonborough. Hands down

wifi 07-14-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyA (Post 207894)
Braun bay Moultonborough. Hands down

There are so many people there that you need to get there early and take a swim before there is too much contraband floating around.

tmm366 07-14-2013 02:42 PM

Patrician shores

I like patrician shores in Meredith. Nice sandy bottom and not as crowded. :)

BroadHopper 07-14-2013 09:33 PM

Braun Bay during the week.

Patrician Shores on weekends.

Trailer you boat? By far the best sand bar in the Lakes Region is the one next to Mosquito Bridge on Lake Winnisquam!

Pineedles 07-15-2013 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wifi (Post 207897)
there are so many people there that you need to get there early and take a swim before there is too much contraband floating around.

contraband?

Dave R 07-15-2013 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wifi (Post 207897)
There are so many people there that you need to get there early and take a swim before there is too much contraband floating around.

I have been going there for years and have never seen much floating around or on the bottom. It's very clean.

The weed bed at the far end is teeming with fish and a fun place to snorkel. The quantity of fish is like you'd see on a coral reef; the variety, not so much.

AC2717 07-15-2013 07:46 AM

where is patrician shores?
also the one in paugus bay beside the Margate is a nice one

HellRaZoR004 07-15-2013 08:21 AM

The one next to the Margate is nice but on the weekend you can get bounced around a lot.

jrc 07-15-2013 08:31 AM

The best sandbar is the one you can get into with your family and friends.

codeman671 07-15-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 (Post 207946)
The one next to the Margate is nice but on the weekend you can get bounced around a lot.

We were at this one on Saturday, it was decent. It would have been better if the anchors that came with my boat were sized properly. I spent a lot of time setting up and rechecking.

LIforrelaxin 07-15-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codeman671 (Post 207955)
We were at this one on Saturday, it was decent. It would have been better if the anchors that came with my boat were sized properly. I spent a lot of time setting up and rechecking.

The good news proper anchors are an easy fix..... so the next time you aren't preoccupied....

codeman671 07-15-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin (Post 207973)
The good news proper anchors are an easy fix..... so the next time you aren't preoccupied....

A quick drive to Belmont once we docked took care of that. :D

Shore Driver 07-15-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 207929)
Patrician Shores on weekends.

Trailer you boat? By far the best sand bar in the Lakes Region is the one next to Mosquito Bridge on Lake Winnisquam!

What he said!

WINNOCTURN 07-15-2013 01:17 PM

Kona bay

We used to go to KONA BAY area to swim. Nice sandy bottom. Not that crowded on the Weekends (some 10 years ago). When it became an area for MAC Mansions it became a hassle dealing with one particular Family. We started heading to Braun Bay. It was not crowded back then. Then word got out and "AND KNOW YOU KNOW THE REST OF THE STORY".

Midweek is not to bad at Braun.

Lakesrider 07-15-2013 08:39 PM

A little known one and one that is very rarely used except by locals is the one at 20 mile bay. Not so much a sand bar but a sandy shallow area that is cordoned off from boats for swimmers. (Just off Rt109 in Tuftonboro.) However boats anchor just off the ropes and swimming is great there.

GTO 07-15-2013 10:45 PM

Mmmm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmm366 (Post 207898)
I like patrician shores in Meredith. Nice sandy bottom and not as crowded. :)

So tell people on a public forum and do you think it won't get crowded?

tmm366 07-16-2013 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 208008)
So tell people on a public forum and do you think it won't get crowded?

Just speaking from personal experience. All sandbars get busy on the weekends, best to arrive late morning. A plus for patrician and other smaller areas is the lack of marine patrol hassling boaters over boat separation and rafting rules. Just imo

tmm366 07-16-2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC2717 (Post 207941)
where is patrician shores?
also the one in paugus bay beside the Margate is a nice one

Patrician shores is located on the east side of Meredith neck. Head towards center harbor it will be to the left just north of leavett park. Pay attention to the markers.

Dave R 07-17-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmm366 (Post 208020)
Patrician shores is located on the east side of Meredith neck. Head towards center harbor it will be to the left just north of leavett park. Pay attention to the markers.

Most of the people that anchor there refer to it as Farrar Point.

SIKSUKR 07-18-2013 07:41 AM

I've always heard it refered to as Patrician Shores.

cillovely 07-18-2013 07:59 AM

West Alton is my favorite. Of course we stayed in Alton Bay so it was nice and close. One time we got all anchored and settled and then this dark cloud appeared heading our way. We were able to pull anchor and haul a back to the cottage before the deluge started.

Tried to find Braun Bay, but never could.

BroadHopper 07-18-2013 08:34 AM

Interesting fact.

On thing I like about the Winisquam sandbar next to Mosquito Bridge is the bridge itself. If a brief thundershower or cloudburst should happen, you can duck under the bridge for cover! Imagine about 50 boats under a bridge while it is raining. The party continues until the rain subside and the sandbar is once more.

Dave R 07-18-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIKSUKR (Post 208198)
I've always heard it refered to as Patrician Shores.

You probably run with a better class of people than I do. :D

upthesaukee 07-18-2013 09:26 AM

Actually easy to find...

Quote:

Originally Posted by cillovely (Post 208201)
West Alton is my favorite. Of course we stayed in Alton Bay so it was nice and close. One time we got all anchored and settled and then this dark cloud appeared heading our way. We were able to pull anchor and haul a back to the cottage before the deluge started.

Tried to find Braun Bay, but never could.

If you cross the Broads from the Alton Gilford area, and head to Long Island, keep Long Island off your right side. As you get down towards where you can see the Marina at the bridge, look over to your left, and you will see a bay. At the end of the bay on the left is Braun Bay sand bar (the bay is Braun Bay).

It is a bit of a run if you have to skedaddle to get home before bad weather sets in...just need to keep an eye on the weather radar, and plan accordingly.

Phantom 07-19-2013 04:02 AM

Well...... It's official !

There goes "Patrician Shores" -- not that it matters... It was GONE a few years back when MP fiirst introduced & began enforcing rafting at Braun

and YES...for those who have been going there for over 10 years call it by that--

Patrician use to be the "Family" sandbar where you could bring young children and enjoy a day without "rafted" cruisers, people "walking" the boats to anchor in behind you, beer games, language unbefitting anyone under the age of 15, and you didn't have to listen to the stereo off the cruiser or "go fast" 10 boats away !

Glad I found a nice little sandbar that only accomadates about 4-5 boats and it is "family" style. And based on my opinionated post here I am sure others feel the same way about me. To each his own, we simply "moved on".

No.... It's not Blueberry... We know that one too!