Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Tuftonboro Building Inspector (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13364)

pinto 12-07-2011 10:36 AM

Tuftonboro Building Inspector

Anyone work with the building inspector from the Town of Tuftonboro? I have heard he is not the easiest person to deal with. We are considering building on Cow Island, but are a bit nervous to deal with this guy. Any comment/suggestions?

RLW 12-07-2011 10:42 AM

Why are you nervous to work with a building inspector/code enforcer. They can only ask to have stuff done that the town building codes ask for and then it is up to the GC to handle the problems unless you are going to be the acting GC then ya, you have to handle all the questions and make sure the work is done to code.:)

tis 12-07-2011 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinto (Post 172700)
Anyone work with the building inspector from the Town of Tuftonboro? I have heard he is not the easiest person to deal with. We are considering building on Cow Island, but are a bit nervous to deal with this guy. Any comment/suggestions?

I totally disagree. We have worked with him on two projects and he was wonderful with us. He was so helpful, I was amazed. I can't imagine him being hard to work with. I wish others we have worked with were so helpful.

secondcurve 12-07-2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 172705)
I totally disagree. We have worked with him on two projects and he was wonderful with us. He was so helpful, I was amazed. I can't imagine him being hard to work with. I wish others we have worked with were so helpful.

I agree with Tis. Building inspectors are difficult as a general rule but Tuftonboro's BI has a good reputation. At least I've had good luck with him and my contractors all confirm he is a reasonable person if you are following the rules.

acanthus 12-10-2011 11:23 AM

Code enforcer

Jack, code enforcer, can be your best friend during construction.
He is the person will insure that the GC does the job to code.
I suspect the rumor of being difficult was/is being told by peeps that got caught trying to take shortcuts--to put it kindly:rolleye2:.

Puckster 01-01-2012 08:44 PM

Jack is more than reasonable.

He is only doing his job and if you hear otherwise... someone was in the wrong.

boo 01-08-2012 06:16 PM

Bi

like others said, he is just making sure your projects meet code requirements.
I am a contractor and have worked projects on cow island and he is just like any inspector...just making sure the project is done correct.

if youve heard rumors, then they are likely from a contractor who isnt doing what he should. a good contractor knows the code requirements and will usually exceed the code requirements.

best of luck with your project and if you need any help, feel free to contact me.

fdbuilder 01-09-2012 05:57 PM

I,ve done a few jobs in Tufftonboro (a new house and a rebuild on the lake)
and Jack has been very good to work with, Some building inspectors can be hard to get along with, Ive found if you ask qustions and do things right you have no suprises or problems (most of the time) Be up front with them.

SeventySeven 02-13-2012 06:33 AM

He works for you...

Let's remember: As above, Jack works on your behalf to protect you from a Contractor who's not building to code.
Talk with him early and often. Be completely upfront with everything. You'll get along fine.