Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   A New Chinese restaurant in the works (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29351)

bushwack1 02-28-2024 02:41 PM

A New Chinese restaurant in the works

There will be a new and fresh place to eat in and take out Chinese food :liplick: At the Tiki Plaza across from Fun Spot. I hear that it is someone from the King family. And if you've been in the Laconia / Meredith area for a long while you may recognize that name:cool:

Mr. V 02-28-2024 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bushwack1 (Post 391538)
There will be a new and fresh place to eat in and take out Chinese food :liplick: At the Tiki Plaza across from Fun Spot. I hear that it is someone from the King family. And if you've been in the Laconia / Meredith area for a long while you may recognize that name:cool:

Excellent.

I have to assume that the reported owners, the King family, are not Chinese?

Seems to me that all, or at least most Chinese restaurants are owned / run by ethnic Chinese: this allows them to keep costs down by employing mainly or solely family members and friends, most especially in the kitchen.

garysanfran 02-28-2024 04:49 PM

I hope sushi will not be on their Chinese menu.

SAMIAM 02-29-2024 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 391547)
I hope sushi will not be on their Chinese menu.

Agreed......for safety ,I prefer my fish cooked

Major 02-29-2024 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 391545)
Excellent.

I have to assume that the reported owners, the King family, are not Chinese?

Seems to me that all, or at least most Chinese restaurants are owned / run by ethnic Chinese: this allows them to keep costs down by employing mainly or solely family members and friends, most especially in the kitchen.

The King family is Chinese. I went to high school with their son Michael. They ran a restaurant in downtown Laconia for many years and another restaurant on Rt. 3 between Weirs and Meredith, where the trailer place (Ready Equipment) is located. I am not sure whether they ran any restaurants of late.

BroadHopper 02-29-2024 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 391559)
The King family is Chinese. I went to high school with their son Michael. They ran a restaurant in downtown Laconia for many years and another restaurant on Rt. 3 between Weirs and Meredith, where the trailer place (Ready Equipment) is located. I am not sure whether they ran any restaurants of late.

I knew the family as well. They had a large restaurant and lounge in Hooksett on Rte 3 back in the late 70s and early 80s. It was a popular night spot until the restaurant burned down. I grew up in Laconia's South end, down the street from the original restaurant. The building is still there!

ishoot308 02-29-2024 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 391560)
I knew the family as well. They had a large restaurant and lounge in Hooksett on Rte 3 back in the late 70s and early 80s. It was a popular night spot until the restaurant burned down. I grew up in Laconia's South end, down the street from the original restaurant. The building is still there!

Was that the “China Dragon” in Hooksett?? If so that was a staple in the area for many years.

Dan

Hillcountry 02-29-2024 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 391561)
Was that the “China Dragon” in Hooksett?? If so that was a staple in the area for many years.

Dan

That was the China Dragon, Dan! I lived in Salem then and frequently traveled by that restaurant to go to Riley’s gun shop nearby!

winni83 02-29-2024 09:03 AM

I think the China Dragon in Hooksett was owned by the Moy family.

garysanfran 02-29-2024 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 391558)
Agreed......for safety ,I prefer my fish cooked

I love sushi, but it's Japanese. Too many "Chinese" restaurants put it on their menus.

gus62 02-29-2024 11:00 AM

The new take out is not affiliated with the original King Family from Laconia. I was also from the South End of Laconia (Adams St.) and was/still am, very close friends with the oldest son, Willing. I spent a lot of time at Kings Restaurant, worked at Dragon Villa in the Weirs when they owned that and helped with the clean out when they bought the property where Jade Island was. Kwan is still enjoying retirement in the area of Oakland, California.

VitaBene 02-29-2024 12:47 PM

Lee Wah is also going to be moving somewhere in the lakes region. Their current location going to turn into apartments I believe. Regardless, their lease is up late summer

Major 02-29-2024 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gus62 (Post 391565)
The new take out is not affiliated with the original King Family from Laconia. I was also from the South End of Laconia (Adams St.) and was/still am, very close friends with the oldest son, Willing. I spent a lot of time at Kings Restaurant, worked at Dragon Villa in the Weirs when they owned that and helped with the clean out when they bought the property where Jade Island was. Kwan is still enjoying retirement in the area of Oakland, California.

Thank you for remembering the name of the place on Route 3 - Jade Island!

The Dragon Villa is a blast from the past! I worked there in 1980 as a busboy. The owners at that time were an airline pilot and his stewardess wife. Very nice couple, but not super experienced in the restaurant business. I did not know that the Kings owned Dragon Villa beforehand.

gus62 02-29-2024 01:47 PM

Yes I bussed and dish washed their when I was 14. I would get a ride in with Mr King and Willing. This was around 1976. They sold it shortly after I started so I lost my ride. The second time I called my father at 1 am for a ride, I was done!

ishoot308 02-29-2024 03:15 PM

Samiam, I assume you already know this but for others… there really is no “raw” fish, I.E. sushi, that can be legally served in the states unlike Japan. All fish, sushi or not, must be frozen first by law….

Dan

SAMIAM 03-01-2024 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gus62 (Post 391565)

I remember Kwan fondly from Jade Island. Always the lady, dressed in a long dress or gown and greeted us (and everyone) warmly

bruinsfan 03-04-2024 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 391566)
Lee Wah is also going to be moving somewhere in the lakes region. Their current location going to turn into apartments I believe. Regardless, their lease is up late summer

I hope they stay in the same general area …. I guess the bagel place is leaving too?

TomC 03-05-2024 04:49 AM

old laundromat building?

that building behind the Red Hill Dari has been vacant for a very very long time... always thought something would succeed there. Decent parking and right in middle of all the "action" Center Harbor has to offer...

VitaBene 03-05-2024 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomC (Post 391634)
that building behind the Red Hill Dari has been vacant for a very very long time... always thought something would succeed there. Decent parking and right in middle of all the "action" Center Harbor has to offer...

I thought the same, but after inquiring there may be some chemical waste concerns from the previous use that may be expensive to mitigate.

phoenix 03-05-2024 01:35 PM

I didn't know that

BrownstoneNorth 03-08-2024 01:03 PM

Fishy misconceptions

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 391569)
Samiam, I assume you already know this but for others… there really is no “raw” fish, I.E. sushi, that can be legally served in the states unlike Japan. All fish, sushi or not, must be frozen first by law….

Dan

Fish is no longer “fresh” after being frozen but unless it's been cooked it's still “raw.”

“Sushi” means vinegared rice. Raw fish may be the most common filling in sushi rolls but the filling can be vegetable, avocado, imitation crabmeat or almost anything else — it's the rice that qualifies them as sushi rolls.

I eat sushi but wouldn't touch raw fish with a 10-foot pole.

gravy boat 03-08-2024 05:23 PM

Jade island

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 391573)
I remember Kwan fondly from Jade Island. Always the lady, dressed in a long dress or gown and greeted us (and everyone) warmly

And I remember the radio commercial from WLNH: “Hello, this is Kwan. I’d love to see you at Jade Island tonight.”

Scorpions bowls and poo poo platters were the go-to for our group. They had a dance place downstairs but we only went a few times.

Loved Jade Island

bruinsfan 03-09-2024 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 391566)

The old Piccolo restaurant is sitting empty. Would be perfect take-out for Lee Wah Chen..

Biggd 03-09-2024 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruinsfan (Post 391730)
The old Piccolo restaurant is sitting empty. Would be perfect take-out for Lee Wah Chen..

I believe Gusto is moving in to that space making it their commercial kitchen.

bruinsfan 03-09-2024 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 391731)
I believe Gusto is moving in to that space making it their commercial kitchen.

Wow. Gusto can sustain the Cafe, the Market, the new Beer-garden, and now a commercial kitchen?

That’s a lot.

Biggd 03-09-2024 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruinsfan (Post 391734)
Wow. Gusto can sustain the Cafe, the Market, the new Beer-garden, and now a commercial kitchen?

That’s a lot.

That's what I heard before they took over the new beer-garden. I'm not sure if that plan changed after that?

BroadHopper 03-10-2024 07:37 AM

Gusto Cafe

Nick and Elena took over the old COE house and will open an Italian kitchen and marketplace. They were featured on NH Chronicle. They are off to a good start!
And congratulate them on their first newborn!

gus62 03-10-2024 12:40 PM

Nick and Elena are opening Gusto Taphouse, a dining venue in the Coe House. The market is next door in the corner building.

bruinsfan 03-11-2024 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gus62 (Post 391746)
Nick and Elena are opening Gusto Taphouse, a dining venue in the Coe House. The market is next door in the corner building.

..there’s also a Gusto’s Cafe on Whittier Hwy.

Are all three staying open?

first timer 03-11-2024 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bushwack1 (Post 391538)

nice to see them again, went to all their restaurants..

codeman671 03-18-2024 08:08 AM

The word on the street is that the Chinese place pulled out of the potential spot in the Tiki Plaza.

bushwack1 03-18-2024 03:06 PM

Yes it is true, I received the message they sent out and at this time they will not be moving forward with their plans. Decided that Family is more important. I have to agree as I have been cooking professionally for 45 years and have missed out on many Child and Family events. Though not an owner I was still married to my jobs and those restaurants.

map 03-28-2024 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bushwack1 (Post 392019)
Yes it is true, I received the message they sent out and at this time they will not be moving forward with their plans. Decided that Family is more important. I have to agree as I have been cooking professionally for 45 years and have missed out on many Child and Family events. Though not an owner I was still married to my jobs and those restaurants.

I've given up on ever getting a decent Chinese restaurant/take out around here.

phoenix 03-28-2024 09:01 PM

unfortunately, I agree