Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   History (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Green's Basin/Dr. Heald Lake Winnie Book Inaccuracy (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26214)

thinkxingu 08-15-2020 03:53 AM

Green's Basin/Dr. Heald Lake Winnie Book Inaccuracy

1 Attachment(s)
This photo is from "Lake Winnipesaukee," by Bruce Heald. The caption claims it is in Green's Basin, but it sits at the end of Hanson Cove.

Does anyone know if GB was ever defined as the last two coves or all the way out past the mouth to the end of HC?

Attachment 16348

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Lakegeezer 08-15-2020 05:41 AM

Inner and Outer Greens Basin

Several folks that live in the Green's Basin say that the entire cove from Light Marker 52 is Green's Basin, named because of Mr. Green. On the old green map of the lake, Marker 52 is labeled "Greens Basin". One part is called the inner basin and the other the outer basin. I can't keep straight which one is the inner or outer, but locals know.

The problem of course is that in modern times, it is only the far basin that is called Greens Basin. The question is then, what is the other basin called? I've seen it referred to Evergreen and Blanchard basin, named by one of the many islands located there. It would be appropriate to come up with a good name for the first basin, so that maps could be updated.

There is similar name confusion about Moultonboro Bay. Some call the area out from States Landing beach as Moultonboro Bay, while officially, it is the large basin south more or less between Light Markers 13 and 14. You have to embrace the ambiguity to navigate this lake.

thinkxingu 08-15-2020 07:00 AM

That makes perfect sense, as I've always wondered what to call the area outside Hanson Cove. In fact, someone on the Facebook page set up a birthday boat parade, and I couldn't refer to the area to meet other than, "the area outside Hanson Cove."

Would definitely be good to have that named. I've emailed Bizer for more info.

thinkxingu 08-15-2020 03:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another image squirrelled away in the book (Green's Basin doesn't even appear in the index, but it's in the book a few times—weird) that seems to correlate the above (that Green's Basin was the whole area from FL52 in).

Attachment 16350

MBNeckguy 08-15-2020 09:26 PM

Dr Bruce Heald is dead, cut him some slack. He was a very good man and a champion of the Lakes Region.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

thinkxingu 08-16-2020 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBNeckguy (Post 341702)
Dr Bruce Heald is dead, cut him some slack. He was a very good man and a champion of the Lakes Region.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Huh?