Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Wildlife (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Counting the Loons (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18182)

webmaster 09-01-2014 06:43 PM

Counting the Loons

<div id="fb-root"></div> <script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>
<div class="fb-post" data-href="https://www.facebook.com/lakewinnipesaukee/posts/10152413137843992" data-width="466"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><a href="https://www.facebook.com/lakewinnipesaukee/posts/10152413137843992">Post</a> by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/lakewinnipesaukee">Winnipesaukee.com</a>.</div></div>

LIforrelaxin 09-02-2014 10:40 AM

There seem to be lots of newborns to count this year... My family have observed them over by 19 mile, down towards Braun Bay, and also between long island and Moultonborough Neck.

VitaBene 09-04-2014 09:32 AM

5 Mboro Bay

There were 5 last night in Moultonborough Bay fishing around sunset.

tis 09-04-2014 09:54 AM

I hope they are not starting to gather already!!

Greene's Basin Girl 09-04-2014 12:10 PM

At a loon meeting a couple of weeks ago the director, Harry S Vogal, said they were starting to gather then. I have seen groups gathering for several weeks.

tis 09-04-2014 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl (Post 232707)
At a loon meeting a couple of weeks ago the director, Harry S Vogal, said they were starting to gather then. I have seen groups gathering for several weeks.

Oh no! Can it be true????

chasedawg 09-04-2014 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 232740)
Oh no! Can it be true????

Yes.......already.....the season has gone soo fast. Beautiful weather..enjoy it while it is here. The Loons are starting to think about taking flight to the ocean for the Winter. Enjoy the best time of the year.

tis 09-05-2014 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasedawg (Post 232744)
Yes.......already.....the season has gone soo fast. Beautiful weather..enjoy it while it is here. The Loons are starting to think about taking flight to the ocean for the Winter. Enjoy the best time of the year.

It has gone too fast! We have had extrememely warm weather these last few days -for Sept. We went by your place yesterday, you were out by your boat but didn't see us.

chasedawg 09-05-2014 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 232759)
It has gone too fast! We have had extrememely warm weather these last few days -for Sept. We went by your place yesterday, you were out by your boat but didn't see us.

But we did see you today. What a wonderful day it was. I took the sailboat out tonight and the moon, the loons, the gentle breeze were heavenly. I felt I was back in the BVI's. It can't get better than this.

SteveA 09-06-2014 06:11 AM

Loon on Saltmarsh Pond

I do a lot of photography on Saltmarsh Pond, there is a single loon on the pond and has been there for about a week.

I took some pics, but not worth posting, it was in the middle of the pond. I spoke with the Loon Preservation biologist for Winnipesaukee. He told me it wasn't unusual for the males during the "collection" time to move around from body of water to body of water looking for a group to hook up with for the trip to the ocean.

First time I ever saw a loon on Saltmarsh.

tis 09-06-2014 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasedawg (Post 232809)
But we did see you today. What a wonderful day it was. I took the sailboat out tonight and the moon, the loons, the gentle breeze were heavenly. I felt I was back in the BVI's. It can't get better than this.

You are right, it can't get better. I wish it wasn't going to end with storms today. I know you saw us yesterday, we saw you wave, but did you see us the day before??

chasedawg 09-06-2014 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 232820)
You are right, it can't get better. I wish it wasn't going to end with storms today. I know you saw us yesterday, we saw you wave, but did you see us the day before??

No sorry we didn't see you the day before. Next time come on in or swing by. We just launched our restored and new to us Cape Dory. I was working on it when you cruised by. We waved and we saw you wave. Maybe we can sail down to visit or take our very fast Bennington.

Sorry folks we will take this conversation off line.

tis 09-07-2014 07:11 AM

I saw your Cape Dory and thought it was new! Very pretty! Yes please, cruise down one way or the other. I won't say any more here. :)

ApS 09-07-2014 06:53 PM

a'OOO

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 232875)
I saw your Cape Dory and thought it was new! Very pretty! Yes please, cruise down one way or the other. I won't say any more here. :)

Interesting that there are three Cape Dory sailboats in Winter Harbor alone! (One with a Westerbeke).

We haven't seen as many Loons (or any other birds) this season. But while sailing yesterday morning, one gave the Loon's "warning call"—followed by a second Loon with the exact-same call. I looked up, expecting to see a Bald Eagle, but they were all stressed-out about a Cessna 180!

;)

(The call is a yodeled "Ow"—as in "ouch"—a'OOO).

:look:

tis 09-08-2014 06:40 AM

The loons do not like planes at all. They screech every time one goes over. They are not used to it anymore since the airport closed. (probably not the same loons anyway.)

Ondawada 09-08-2014 09:06 AM

Saw a Loon flying for the first time the other day at Lee's Mills. Been wanting to see one actually take off. I clearly saw the white bottom side as it passed over, but wasn't 100% that it was a Loon until I heard the tremolo over and over. Ironically, it did a loop over toward the Loon center and then headed back out over the lake.

salty dog 09-08-2014 10:53 AM

close pass

My daughter, her fiance and I were circling Braun Bay yesterday when I spotted 3 birds off the starboard bow. I slowed to headway speed and we slowly passed them to starboard. Sarah and Brian hadn't seen Loons before so it was nice to be able to see them up close. We passed within 25 feet; they didn't fly away or sound and as we went by one of them called. Just a nice "nature's moment" in a great day on the lake.

ApS 09-11-2014 09:07 PM

Loons' Funny Landings...

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ondawada (Post 232939)
Saw a Loon flying for the first time the other day at Lee's Mills. Been wanting to see one actually take off. I clearly saw the white bottom side as it passed over, but wasn't 100% that it was a Loon until I heard the tremolo over and over. Ironically, it did a loop over toward the Loon center and then headed back out over the lake.

The tremolo is often heard when that Loon is in flight; sometimes, they'll circle a portion of a lake more than once. They seem to be trying to encourage other Loons to take off to join them.

I've seen Loons taking off and landing—but landing is more dramatic by far. With their feet far back on their bodies (like a penguin's), they can't "ski" to a landing like ducks and other aquatic birds. Loon landings are sometimes graceful, but most are "a crash". Sometimes, I've seen Loons land in a splashing, rolling, heap, with feet, wings, tail and beak seen at intervals and at various angles. :emb:

While there are many photos and videos of Loons taking off, I haven't seen a good video of a landing. But finally yesterday, two Loons decided to land in the middle of Winter Harbor, and I started my video camera to capture this very rare event.

To my eye, one Loon appeared to generate a tremendous splash; unfortunately, the "splashdown" occurred directly into the sun. With some hope, I checked the video and took a snapshot of the exact moment of the event.

Maybe next time? :o

aquabones 09-12-2014 05:32 AM

Found this video of a graceful landing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0b1Wl3I4-8

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/J0b1Wl3I4-8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>