Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Wildlife (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Trapping Critters (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16655)

dpg 10-16-2013 07:13 AM

Trapping Critters

I know I have some kind of critter(s) under a shed in the back yard. If I catch it in a have a heart trap to move it what do I do if I happen to catch a skunk? Won't it spray if I try to approach the trap or even move it?

jetlag100 10-16-2013 07:53 AM

How about covering it with a small tarp? Of course you'd have to be very careful when setting it free:eek:

JDeere 10-16-2013 08:04 AM

setting it free

When you set the varmint free you create a trap smart animal. You relocate it from your home only to give it someone else who has an educated animal that will not go into another trap.

Also many animals will return home unless you take them very far away.

A cover will keep a skunk from spraying OR so they say.

Phantom 10-16-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpg (Post 213584)
Won't it spray if I try to approach the trap or even move it?

Skunks cannot spray if they cannot lift their tail !! so depending on the size (height) of your trap ... take it from there

secondcurve 10-17-2013 05:25 AM

Quote:

I know I have some kind of critter(s) under a shed in the back yard. If I catch it in a have a heart trap to move it what do I do if I happen to catch a skunk? Won't it spray if I try to approach the trap or even move it?

As noted below cover the trap with a tarp. Then drop the trap in the lake or other water body and drown the skunk or other varmint.

dpg 10-17-2013 06:01 AM

Thanks all I'd prefer not to drown whatever it is. I understand covering the trap just concerned about approaching it close enough to even do that. We'll see I'll do something one of these days. Not sure about the "laws" governing moving the animal but I'd still do that before drowning it. :rolleye1:

donnamatrix 10-17-2013 09:42 AM

Call Alpha Omega in Meredith

Call Tom Boucher at Alpha Omega in Meredith. Tom has helped us with woodchuck who was eating the wood trim of our garage; skunks, racoon, and the flying squirrels that made a home in our attic. --- we live inthe woods! At any rate, Tom is good, not too epensive, and knows the laws, rules and regulations regarding capturing critters. 603-630-2598 is his number

GTO 10-17-2013 11:09 AM

easy to do

Quote:

I trapped a whole family of skunks and relocated them a few miles from my house using the have a heart trap. I used dry cat food. Once in the cage I would come up from behind and put a towel over the cage and then transport them (just to be safe, in the back of a pickup). When I caught the mother, she was big. I opened up the trap to release her and she just sat there. I literally went over and tilted the trap downward so she would get out and when she started to move I dropped the trap and ran. But never an incident of spraying. They too were all living under our shed and would find a reason every night to spray right outside our bedroom with our fan running

bclaker 10-17-2013 04:36 PM

My Skunk Experience

Many years ago in Plaistow, we had a skunk digging up the lawn in our back yard. I called Fish and Game and the officer came and set a Havahart trap. It wasn't long before there was a skunk in the trap. I called the officer and when he came, he threw an old raincoat over the trap. When he picked it up and put it in the trunk of the cruiser, it let go. Bet they don't provide that service any more.

Kamper 10-19-2013 06:12 AM

I tried a live trap for my chipmunk problem. My limited research advised to cross at least one body of water to discourage return travel and in NH you cannot move them outside the town you trap them in. This is to reduce the chance of spreading rabies. I wish I'd know that before I bought bulk tickets to Maine, from Trailways! ;)

Whatever it is... After you get it removed either open up the edges under your shed or close in all the gaps. Animals like places where they can get in but their predators cannot.

Good luck!

SunsetPointWentworth 11-02-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondcurve (Post 213637)
As noted below cover the trap with a tarp. Then drop the trap in the lake or other water body and drown the skunk or other varmint.

Hope you were kidding?

Life is Wild 11-03-2013 08:59 PM

Why not leave it be?

With all respect for your property and your shed, is there any reason why having a small creature living under it causes you problems? Animals choose den sites very carefully, and for whatever reason this one likes your shed. Your shed is its safe place. If possible, leave it alone. After all, it isn't every day that a wild animal understands that not all humans are the enemy.

dpg 11-04-2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Life is Wild (Post 214341)
With all respect for your property and your shed, is there any reason why having a small creature living under it causes you problems? Animals choose den sites very carefully, and for whatever reason this one likes your shed. Your shed is its safe place. If possible, leave it alone. After all, it isn't every day that a wild animal understands that not all humans are the enemy.

I may leave it alone and haven't done anything yet. Thinking about just "encouraging" it to move on with some Moth Balls or something like that. Just don't want to have any encounters with the animal and my (new) dog.

Lakesrider 11-04-2013 08:58 AM

I have had all kinds of creatures living under my shed. I just leave them alone. I have had a family or two of skunks living under my deck. We would actually go out and watch them in the yard at night. They never sprayed around the deck, though you could still tell they were there. I wonder if the animals could...would they build a human have-a-heart trap and move us because we moved into their properties? Hmmmm.......?

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2.../newkits12.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...b/IMG_1002.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...b/IMG_0101.jpg