Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Wildlife (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Black Bears on Black Cat (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17480)

Gatto Nero 05-09-2014 09:11 AM

Black Bears on Black Cat

I got a rather rude awakening this morning at about 3:00 AM when I heard rumbling around out in my front yard. By the time I got to the door the motion sensor light had come on and when I opened the door I saw three huge bears not 5' from my front door. One headed towards me at the door then the dog scooted between my legs and scared them away. When I got up this morning I saw that they had opened the overhead door to my shed and gotten into the trash. Quite a mess. I can only assume they just walked over the bridge to get here. I sure hope they can find their way back off of the island soon.

Nagigator 05-09-2014 11:25 AM

Yikes!

That's some brave dog............

donnamatrix 05-09-2014 11:27 AM

Brave dog

After hearing on the news last night about a bear killing a llama in NH... the bear came into the yard and the llama was frightened and jumped the fence and ran which triggered the bear's instinct to chase it... your dog is lucky. Holy cow.

upthesaukee 05-09-2014 12:38 PM

Bears can swim...

They may well have figured out the bridge, but they could also swim. They are good swimmers.

webmaster 05-09-2014 01:33 PM

I happened to see this while surfing the news today. The description says it was in NH but doesn't mention where. More brave dogs:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XIMpSTG6FBM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ishoot308 05-09-2014 02:01 PM

Great video!

Very lucky dogs as that bear is huge for a black bear!!

While most black bears are mild mannered, usually when confronted unexpectedly like that, they will fight... This one is extremely mild mannered.

upthesaukee 05-09-2014 02:12 PM

And he will be back...

He knows where the sunflower seeds are. Love the way it just stood up to eat, almost like "belly up to the bar".

(And yup, I still have my feeders out.).

Gatto Nero 05-09-2014 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagigator (Post 224384)
That's some brave dog............

Stupid is more like it. I don't think he knew what he was getting in to when he rushed out there. He's only 40 lbs soaking wet but he has the bark of much bigger dog. I think that and the suddenness of his entrance onto the scene going full bore just caught them off guard. He was definably lucky. I thought he was a goner

chipj29 05-11-2014 08:17 AM

That was here in Bow.
Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 224396)
I happened to see this while surfing the news today. The description says it was in NH but doesn't mention where. More brave dogs:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XIMpSTG6FBM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

znh 05-12-2014 08:57 AM

Bears swimming in the lake...one more thing to keep in the back of my mind during early morning kayak sessions :D