Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boat Repairs & Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Cleaning Canvas (Sunbrella)? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13033)

gokart-mozart 09-12-2011 05:52 PM

Cleaning Canvas (Sunbrella)?

It's almost that time of year again. The seagulls have done their work, and I need to clean the mooring cover.

How do you all do this (nasty) job?

JonLevis 09-12-2011 06:01 PM

I was wondering the same thing! Just saw that West sells a "spray on, wash off" material that supposedly restores waterproofing characteristics of the canvas too...haven't bought it yet, but it looks interesting enough! I think it was a Meguiars product.

Rinkerfam 09-12-2011 06:15 PM

The manufacturer of 303 aerospace protectant sells a spray to clean sunbrella canvas and a spray to waterproof it. Just follow the manufacturers directions. I think both products work great! Sports and Marine Parafunalia sell them both. Have fun:D

fpartri497 09-12-2011 06:36 PM

bimini top cleaqn

I take my bimini top off and put it in the washer/dryer just like it was regular laundry twice a season and spray it with 303 water proofing from parifenalia. $26.00 a 32 Oz. bottle. I spray the outside and inside twice over and still have some left over.

:D

NoBozo 09-12-2011 06:52 PM

I did my 12 year old (at the time) Sunbrella Tonneau cover two years ago. Washed it in a heavy duty washing machine in a Laundromat. We used "Woolite". We air dried the cover over a picnic table.

Once the cover was dry..we used "Waterproofing..with Teflon" from West Marine..in a Spritze bottle. It has worked well. The area of the Tonneau Cover was maybe 7' by 10'. We used almost all the spritze bottle. It will look like the fabric is saturated when you are done. Then it drys in an hour or two. :) NB

robmac 09-12-2011 07:47 PM

I use the Sunbrella cleaner then apply their waterproofing after it dries. The cockpit cover on my old boat was 11 years old and still looked and protected like new.

AB_Monterey 09-12-2011 08:37 PM

I laid mine out on the deck and hit it with my powerwasher. Did an amazing job with nothing but water. It even took the mold/mildew stains out of the corners of the bow cover from where the water collects after it rains. The color of the water coming off that thing was nasty.

Chaos 09-12-2011 09:16 PM

I'd be careful with the power wash method

I know someone that did that and ended up buying new canvas. He put all kinds of voids in the material. Of course, age may have contributed to the damage, but it's still a bit risky. Kinda like that commercial with the husband and wife...

AB_Monterey 09-12-2011 10:38 PM

Oh, I'm sure it's possible. I went with a lower pressure nozzle. I've seen a higher pressure nozzle go right through material.

lawn psycho 09-13-2011 07:35 AM

Hands down, use the IOSSO Mold and Mildew cleaner if you have mold on the cover.

Soak, put in washer, dry out, spray with 303 water repellant, done.

XCR-700 09-13-2011 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AB_Monterey (Post 168556)
Oh, I'm sure it's possible. I went with a lower pressure nozzle. I've seen a higher pressure nozzle go right through material.

And take the paint of a car (when I looked away to yell at the kids,,,) :(

Damn kids,,, LOL :D