Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Yellow pine pollen (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10008)

Jeanzb1 05-26-2010 08:06 AM

Yellow pine pollen

The yellow pollen has suddenly exploded here in our cove. Looks like an oil spill coming in! As this is only our second year here, I am wondering if anyone knows how long this will last. Many thanks!

Pineedles 05-26-2010 08:34 AM

Yellow Sea

In past years it seems the "yellow sea" of pollen took about 2 weeks to disappear.

LIforrelaxin 05-26-2010 10:44 AM

It will last two to three weeks... depending on the cove the amount of trees the pollen is coming from, and the amount of movement in the water in and out of the cove.

Lakesrider 05-26-2010 11:03 AM

You sure it is pollen? There were reports of bacteria in some of the ponds around the state that looks like a scum on top of the water....

Hope for a big wind storm to knock the pine pollen off the trees.

And man do we need rain too....:(

chipj29 05-26-2010 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakesrider (Post 128308)
You sure it is pollen? There were reports of bacteria in some of the ponds around the state that looks like a scum on top of the water....

Hope for a big wind storm to knock the pine pollen off the trees.

And man do we need rain too....:(

No wind storm required. Driving down 93 this morning the pine pollen was coming down in clouds of dust. I have never seen so much pollen in the air. It looked like fog or smoke.

Lakesrider 05-26-2010 01:15 PM

Yes I believe it has started here in Wolfeboro and Moultonborough as my Blue truck looked lime green this afternoon when I went to lunch....Argh. I always have to wash it off my truck or I start sneezing just looking at it...
You always know when it is really bad because you can taste it in your mouth. It is like a gritty, dusty feeling. :liplick: Yuuuuuck! :D

SIKSUKR 05-26-2010 02:06 PM

Pine pollen starts right at the end of May and usually doesn't totally clear off the lake till the end of June depending on rain and wind conditions.It almost always still pretty prevelent motorcycle week whick always starts Fathers day weekend.(3rd Sunday in June)

DRH 05-26-2010 06:30 PM

Same Here

The pine pollen has gotten heavy on the surface of the lake in Minge Cove over the past few days. If we get some rain it will wash a lot of the pollen out of the trees, but otherwise we're going to have to live with it for a while.

MAXUM 05-26-2010 06:55 PM

Yeah that stuff is nasty, even worse when you see it piling up along shore by the prevailing wind and turns the water into what looks like lemon pudding.

Pineedles 05-26-2010 07:04 PM

It's not yellow fever folks

Just to put things in persective guys and girls. The pine pollen is not radioactive, poisoned, or otherwise harmful. It washes off after a good swim, if it sticks at all, and shouldn't deter anyone from enjoying the water.:D

TiltonBB 05-26-2010 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIKSUKR (Post 128329)
Pine pollen starts right at the end of May and usually doesn't totally clear off the lake till the end of June depending on rain and wind conditions.It almost always still pretty prevelent motorcycle week whick always starts Fathers day weekend.(3rd Sunday in June)

Except for one year Motorcycle week has always ENDED on Father's Day. This year it begins on June 12.

ApS 05-27-2010 07:00 AM

It's Waiting...Silent...Deadly...

Quote:

Originally Posted by chipj29 (Post 128315)
No wind storm required. Driving down 93 this morning the pine pollen was coming down in clouds of dust. I have never seen so much pollen in the air. It looked like fog or smoke.

If you look into the water column, pine pollen occupies the first coupla' feet. We had a good thunderstorm (and rain) last evening. It hasn't gotten "visible" on the surface—yet. :eek:

Grady223 05-27-2010 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pineedles (Post 128365)
Just to put things in persective guys and girls. The pine pollen is not radioactive, poisoned, or otherwise harmful. It washes off after a good swim, if it sticks at all, and shouldn't deter anyone from enjoying the water.:D

Except when you're going across the Lake and it is blowing in your eyes! Ouch, I hate that - can't see!

trfour 05-27-2010 05:39 PM

Pine Pollen At The Beach...

1 Attachment(s)
I took a photo of the pine pollen in the water at Weirs Beach a while back.
The mosquitoes and the black flies were a'humm'in too. Notice the mosquito cloud over the Ossipee Mountains. :rolleye1: :look:

I don't miss the pollen and bug part of this time of year. :(

Stonedam Island left, Governors Island right. Sign of the times, Spring on Lake Winnipesaukee. :)

Click for larger image; http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...php?photo=1331

Terry

tis 05-27-2010 05:45 PM

It was really bad today. I kept most of the windows and doors shut because it covers everything in the house! It was a beautiful day and the broads were like glass.

Lakesrider 05-27-2010 06:43 PM

Some enterprising individual would make a fortune if they found a useful purpose for this pollen. Maybe pine pollen toothpaste....or pine pollen grits....:liplick: Pine pollen Talcum powder?

RI Swamp Yankee 05-27-2010 07:25 PM

Pine Pollen Syrup for the pancakes. :liplick:

fpartri497 05-27-2010 07:37 PM

yellow pine pollen

I tied up At
wolfboro Town docks today about 1:30 P.M. and the yellow pine pollen was washed up against the wall and filled the area of the boat ramp. It looks like a huge spill of yellow paint. also weds. while cruising the lake , everywhere, I went the yellow slick was there

:eek:

SIKSUKR 05-28-2010 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 128368)
Except for one year Motorcycle week has always ENDED on Father's Day. This year it begins on June 12.

Right you are. I had it backwards.

BassHunter84 05-28-2010 09:40 AM

It's better than what our friends on the Gulf Coast have...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/image.../oil.2_500.jpg

Gearhead 05-28-2010 10:27 AM

There's got to be a way to make money off it.

I went for my daily lunchtime bike ride yesterday and I inhaled / swallowed so much pollen that I wasn't even hungry for the rest of the day. It got me thinking about what it would be like to somehow capture it and make some kind of unique pastry or something with it (Surely it's got some nutritional value). Maybe make it with maple sugar or put it on a fish and deep fry it.
You could sell it to the tourists!

One more thing: I wonder if 1) pollen can explode like flour in a grain elevator, and 2) At what concentration does it explode?

Sal 05-28-2010 01:05 PM

pine pollen

I was out in Moultonborough Bay yesterday at about 5:20 PM, looking towards the Ossipees, when all of a sudden, the hills exploded with yellow/green fog. It seemed all the pine trees counted to ten and then they all discharged at the same time.

An amazing sight ... but how do they do that?

donnamatrix 05-28-2010 01:40 PM

Pine Pollen Fog

Sal: we keep our boat at Ambrose and last night as we looked across the Bay, there appeared to be a fog or mist ... it was the darn pine pollen!!!

rick35 05-28-2010 09:19 PM

Yellow fog

A breeze came up late yesterday afternoon and when I looked out to Silver Sands Marina from Bear I could barely see it because of the yellow fog. Couldn't see Mt. Major either. I have never seen anything like it. Went over to Center Harbor around noon today and the hills were in a yellow cloud. No wonder my eyes are so sore.

When I left the Center Harbor dock I was helping a guy take his boat off his trailer and we were chatting about the yellow slick on the water. I told him (like basshunter84 said) better yellow than the reddish brown they have in the Gulf.

Scott 05-28-2010 10:18 PM

The pollen cloud that swept from east to west across the lake Thursday evening was actually triggered by the seabreeze front pushing inland. By the time it gets here, it's warmed up and is noticed as nothing more than a wind shift. The 15mph breeze it brought on an otherwise calm day was enough to cumulatively build up a rather crazy density of pollen. The number of white pine around the lake made it especially brutal.

It rolled through my yard as if it were a heavy snow squall, it was pretty interesting. It occurred today as well, but to a much lesser extent. I was actually disappointed because I set up my camera and was going to shoot a time lapse video of it passing through.

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs329...._7937350_n.jpg

VitaBene 05-29-2010 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sal (Post 128511)
I was out in Moultonborough Bay yesterday at about 5:20 PM, looking towards the Ossipees, when all of a sudden, the hills exploded with yellow/green fog. It seemed all the pine trees counted to ten and then they all discharged at the same time.

An amazing sight ... but how do they do that?

That was me cutting the field- sorry!! Fortunately my tractor is a cab model with filtered air.

NHKathy 06-01-2010 01:15 PM

Did anyone else get a rash from touching it??
I have a red bumpy, non-itchy rash on the back of my hands and i'm wondering if its from the thick pine pollen that was everywhere this weekend?
I never usually have problems with allergies, but I have not really been up at the Lake with that thick of a coating of the stuff everywhere... (usually its just a little when i'm there and I haven't been up the last weekend of May in quite a few years)

Argie's Wife 06-01-2010 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHKathy (Post 128812)
Did anyone else get a rash from touching it??
I have a red bumpy, non-itchy rash on the back of my hands and i'm wondering if its from the thick pine pollen that was everywhere this weekend?
I never usually have problems with allergies, but I have not really been up at the Lake with that thick of a coating of the stuff everywhere... (usually its just a little when i'm there and I haven't been up the last weekend of May in quite a few years)

Yes. It almost looks like a detergent rash on my arms, legs, neck, and face from it. Anywhere I was covered with clothing, I do not have it... maybe it's time for a burqa...

Rattlesnake Gal 06-08-2010 05:18 PM

Pine Pollen

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1276035399

It was rough this year. Glad it's over!

LadyJane 06-08-2010 05:54 PM

pine pollen

I took a cruise on The Mount a few days ago, and no matter where we were on the lake or how far from shore, there were spots of yellow pollen all over the surface of the water. It was a beautiful day...perfect visibility and breath taking views. The pollen season will pass...it is natural. My heart aches however for the situation in the Gulf.