Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Snowmobiling (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   castle in the clouds snowmobiling (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5813)

beanman 03-30-2008 09:31 AM

castle in the clouds snowmobiling

I'm looking to take the family for perhaps out last snowmobile run 4/5-4/7. I hoping to catch conditions before heading up Friday. Any help on conditions in the area would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance....

Beanman

Lakegeezer 03-30-2008 10:43 AM

Wednesday 3/26 was fine

There was still plenty of snow and great conditions as of Wednesday last week. The first mile was a bit slushy, but after that, the trails should be good for a few weeks yet. Plan to trailer to the Castle parking lot. The trail from the lake to the Castle parking lot is in poor to fair shape, and the exit at Aries Marine was all but failed even though the lake travel is safe - but icy. The warm rainy weather in the upcoming week will impact conditions, but not so much in high-country.

HomeWood 03-30-2008 04:50 PM

I can't believe conditions are still decent to good for sledding. Maybe in another century winter will be from May to August :laugh:

Weirs guy 03-31-2008 11:21 AM

Not completely on topic, but the trails around the Weirs and Laconia are just about gone, at least the main corridors and RR beds. Then again, I can't ever remember any ridding on the same day bob houses have to come off the lake, so it can't be all bad!

fatlazyless 03-31-2008 12:11 PM

There's still some good snowmobiling just off exit 32 on route 93 which is in Thornton. The west half of the Tripoli Rd which is a dirt Forest Service Rd that is 1 1/2 lanes wide is open to snowmos for about seven miles up to the height of land at the Mt Osceola hiking trail parking lot. Beyond the road gate at the height of land, it is closed to snowmos and open only for cross country skiing, but snowmos usually cannot resist it and go around the gate anyway.

It started snowing at 10am and so far there's been about two inches of some good quality snow.

Ski all lifts-all trails tomorrow, April 1, for one dollar at WV. No fool'n! www.waterville.com :D

VitaBene 04-01-2008 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beanman (Post 66328)
I'm looking to take the family for perhaps out last snowmobile run 4/5-4/7. I hoping to catch conditions before heading up Friday. Any help on conditions in the area would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance....

Beanman

Sorry but I snowmobile out of Moultonborough whenever I can (snow cover dependent is what I mean). I can't see how you will get much good sledding in- the trails are looking tough IMO. Go North, young man!!

VitaBene 04-01-2008 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beanman (Post 66328)

Thanks in advance....

Beanman

I just copied this off the Moultonborough Club site:
All snowmobile trails will be officially closed on Tuesday, April 1, 2008. Gates will be closed on Friday, April 4, 2008.

We hope you all enjoyed one of the best riding seasons in recent years. Many thanks to the groomers and those who prepared the trails last summer and fall!

WARNING! Riders on Lake Winnipesaukee be aware that the level of the lake has been lowered. This will affect shoreline areas where you get on and off the lake. It may also cause other changes to the ice on the lake. Recent warm weather continues to effect the safety of riding on all lakes. Ride with caution!

All trails are Open through March 31, 2008.
Advisory: Bare spots and water bars are opening up. Spring riding conditions can be expected. Be alert and snowmobile safely.
Tail Administrator, Brian Hall

beanman 04-01-2008 08:12 PM

Snowmobiling...

Thanks for the info...... So it looks like the castle would be closed too?

VitaBene 04-01-2008 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beanman (Post 66574)
Thanks for the info...... So it looks like the castle would be closed too?

The Castle is closed period to snowmobilers and has been for a few years. You can see it from the Shaw Mt trail to Ossipee but as far as I know you can't get there from here!

Have a good day of sledding wherever you go but I recommend at least Lincoln as Les mentioned. Maybe Indian Head area