Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Restaurant on Cow Island? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7842)

patman 06-09-2009 12:13 AM

Restaurant on Cow Island?

I heard a rumor that there is a restaurant on Cow Island. Looking for info on it if it does exist...

wifi 06-09-2009 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patman (Post 96801)
I heard a rumor that there is a restaurant on Cow Island. Looking for info on it if it does exist...

Perhaps you are referring to this

patman 06-09-2009 08:01 AM

That sounds like it! Thanks... (Odd, I did a search here for "Cow Island" and didn't turn anything up...) It sounds interesting, but (cough) doesn't sound like a kayaking lunch prospect though. Maybe when that lottery ticket comes through...

AC2717 06-09-2009 08:19 AM

So

In reading some past threads on this it says that you must have a group of 12 or more?
is that correct?
Also who has a contact phone number for the place, I would like to call and set up a reservation for next year

Phantom 06-10-2009 06:39 AM

I believe the phone # is 253-4440

SAMIAM 06-10-2009 07:33 AM

Didn't think that kayakers were likely to patronize waterfront restaurants.......I think the owners would rather see a 40' Fountain pull up with a party of 8.

tis 06-10-2009 11:53 AM

I think they would allow you to just have two as long as you were willing to pay the $1000 or so minimum. ( I don't know what it is now.) It is a wonderful meal, obviously a great spot. But you don't just waltz in, you do have to plan -usually a year ahead. I don't know if the economy has changed things this year. I haven't seen the owners lately.

patman 06-10-2009 11:42 PM

I kayaked out and had a nice lunch on Store Island once, but...I was brown baggin' it. :D

michael c 06-12-2009 12:21 AM

Cow island restaurant

If you should call them and have to leave a message, be aware that it can sometimes be a few days or even a week when your call is answered. This place is very nice and caters to what YOU need!
This is not a place to just stop in to ...reservations,many times a year in advance, are required and then they will take care of you like nobody's business! Think of the wedding rehearsal dinner, someones 50th, 60th or 70th birthday. Think about being served ...and what that means, being served !

Can't go wrong!
M

Winnisquamguy 07-22-2011 08:34 AM

Anybody been out here lately, I see posts from people but they were from back in 04-05? Sounds like something fun and I would like to give it a try.

winnisummergal 07-22-2011 10:33 AM

Mama Lucy's?

I think that's the name of it. My dad got married on the lake's old mail boat "The Great Escape" previously the "Tonimar" and then had his wedding recption here back in 96'. It was a wonderful event, the food was great, staff was amazing and the wooden boats were really nice too.

I believe they had to plan a year ahead and often left messages on a machine but calls were eventually returned. I wish I had a large group to go out there again on my next trip.

Bizer 01-24-2012 11:53 AM

I was updating my address book and the latest thing I have for Cow Island dates back to 2007. I see this thread was started in 2009.

I've neither been nor have I ever knowingly met anyone who has been there. Based on my limited knowledge, I wouldn't call it a restaurant. I'd call it a catering service. From what I've heard, they have a fixed menu, served twice an evening on weekends to parties of 12 or more. I don't know their capacity or the number of parties they can serve concurrently. I've boated by on a summer's eve and seen quite a few docked boats, but that's the limit of my personal experience.

Does anyone know if they are still in business? Any forum member go there in 2010 or 2011? The phone number that I have has been temporarily disconnected (which makes sense for island property in the middle of winter).

Belmont Resident 01-24-2012 12:50 PM

Yes

I boated with a friend that went I believe this past summer.

tis 01-24-2012 02:31 PM

I don't think I would call it a catering service, but the whole group is served the same thing. It is not like you have a menu to choose from. You have dishes and pass them around. The food is wonderful each time we have been. The owners live in Wolfeboro in the winter.

SIKSUKR 01-30-2012 10:51 AM

Its a must do. Get a bunch of your friends together and make reservations. You won't be disappointed. Have not been in a few years. Seapilot is the guy to chime in on this.

VitaBene 01-31-2012 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIKSUKR (Post 175238)
Its a must do. Get a bunch of your friends together and make reservations. You won't be disappointed. Have not been in a few years. Seapilot is the guy to chime in on this.

Seepilot... you're up!

Seaplane Pilot 01-31-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 175291)
Seepilot... you're up!

Ehem.... A horse walked into a bar. The bartender looked at him and said "why the long face?" :laugh::laugh:

OK, now down to business: The official name of this facility is Gus' Lodge, although it's often referred to as Mama Lucy's. It was originally part of Camp Idlewild and served as a lodge where parents would stay when they were visiting their kids at Camp. (Gus & Lucy were the ones that owned the facility after Idlewild)

They operate from about late June until late August, sometimes having guests several nights per week. One must reserve in advance and guarantee a minimum of 26 guests (or the equivalent thereof), with a maximum head count of about 40.

Cost for the past few years has been $75.00/head + 20% tip for a total of $90.00/head. There is only one seating per night and the function goes from 6:00 - 9:00pm. It starts with Antipasto on the deck which sits above the boathouse. It then moves to the porch where they serve dinner family style. The menu is pre-arranged by the Lodge, but I'm sure that they can/will address special dietary needs if required.

It's one of the highlights of the summer, so if you've not been then get a group together and schedule a party. The phone number to the Lodge is 253-4440, but is probably shut off for the winter.

Hope this helps.

SP

dogma 02-02-2012 10:30 AM

Mama Luci's on Cow Island

I went this past July with many of my friends that put on the Wooden Boat Show in Meredith. You have to rent the entire place, we had about 40 folks. The price was $90.00 that included gratuity. You must book far ahead, we booked a year in advance for our wedding reception. Please understand it is Italian food, so don't expect Thai food ! We also brought some of our own wine for dinner. They also had live music, it was great !

Seaplane Pilot 02-02-2012 12:35 PM

It's BYOB

I forgot to mention that Gus' Lodge is BYOB.

VitaBene 07-23-2015 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot (Post 175310)
Ehem.... A horse walked into a bar. The bartender looked at him and said "why the long face?" :laugh::laugh:

OK, now down to business: The official name of this facility is Gus' Lodge, although it's often referred to as Mama Lucy's. It was originally part of Camp Idlewild and served as a lodge where parents would stay when they were visiting their kids at Camp. (Gus & Lucy were the ones that owned the facility after Idlewild)

They operate from about late June until late August, sometimes having guests several nights per week. One must reserve in advance and guarantee a minimum of 26 guests (or the equivalent thereof), with a maximum head count of about 40.

Cost for the past few years has been $75.00/head + 20% tip for a total of $90.00/head. There is only one seating per night and the function goes from 6:00 - 9:00pm. It starts with Antipasto on the deck which sits above the boathouse. It then moves to the porch where they serve dinner family style. The menu is pre-arranged by the Lodge, but I'm sure that they can/will address special dietary needs if required.

It's one of the highlights of the summer, so if you've not been then get a group together and schedule a party. The phone number to the Lodge is 253-4440, but is probably shut off for the winter.

Hope this helps.

SP

Well, 3 years after asking about it we are going Sat PM!! 32 of us:)

Joebon 07-23-2015 09:49 PM

Enjoy the spaghetti.

KPW 07-24-2015 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joebon (Post 248958)
Enjoy the spaghetti.

I went last year. What a great experience!! It was a lot more than spaghetti! Great antipasto on the deck, followed by a three or four course dinner. Great italian food all around.

Leoskeys 07-24-2015 03:51 PM

Did they mention if the are fully booked rest of summer?

VitaBene 07-25-2015 05:59 AM

I will ask tonight

Major 07-27-2015 08:34 AM

Cow Island Restaurant

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoskeys (Post 248998)
Did they mention if the are fully booked rest of summer?

I went last Saturday night and spoke with Mr. Marshall, who indicated that they were booked for the rest of the year, but sometimes cancellations occur. It was a wonderful experience that I'd gladly do again.

Lakeboater 07-27-2015 06:58 PM

What did they say?

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 249005)
I will ask tonight

I'm curious how your dinner was and what they said about booking/openings for reservations

VitaBene 07-27-2015 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakeboater (Post 249132)
I'm curious how your dinner was and what they said about booking/openings for reservations

It was a lot of fun and something we would do again! They have a beautiful camp with a boathouse with deck. They serve apps on the deck with byob. We had dinner on the outside porch. Everything was well done right through dessert in front of the inside fire!

They are tight but occasionally get a cancellation.

Lakeboater 07-27-2015 08:49 PM

Thanks

VitaBene, thanks for the quick reply. Glad that your party enjoyed the time/meal.
LB

Pineedles 07-28-2015 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 249137)
Everything was well done right through dessert.

I like my ice-cream rare.:laugh:

aquabones 06-15-2017 05:42 PM

Is Mama Lucy's still open? What is the phone phone #
Do you know a boat service that could bring a group there and back to shore.

Dave M 06-16-2017 01:39 PM

reservations

Thinking about going there. Heard you may have to wait a year or so for an opening. There's a phone number in post #5.
Would like to know how much docking they have. Family is right around corner from them.

Dave M

Rinkerguy 06-16-2017 05:07 PM

There is docking for 4 to 5 boats depending on how they park you