Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Where to Donate Furniture? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13924)

CateP 04-23-2012 11:02 AM

Where to Donate Furniture?

I have several pieces of furniture that I am trying to sell, but am having no luck. (see classifieds) I am wondering if there is a non-profit organization I should donate to...I get a tax deduction and they pick up.

Suggestions?

AC2717 04-23-2012 11:24 AM

There is a great little consignment shop in Laconia called - too good to be threw
ans also you could donate to St Vicents DePaul's in Laconia
There is also a Salvation Army store in Laconia as well as a Goodwill

Hmm reoccuring theme I guess

I am looking for a used bureau
small in nature, any color 3 feet tall abouts by 4 feet long abouts
got anything

rrr 04-23-2012 12:21 PM

Hospital Fair

Cate,

Huggins has a fair during the summer. I believe they take donations all year, but don't know if they will pick up. Might want to give them a call?

tis 04-23-2012 12:26 PM

They have a storage barn where last I knew they were selling throughout the year. It is located on Pine Hill Road just below Stu Shannon's Security business.

dragonfly03246 04-23-2012 12:45 PM

Freecycle

You can try posting them on Freecycle.com where someone who can't afford to buy it could have it for free. Just post that they have to pick up and they get a free piece of furniture and you get rid of what you don't need.:D

jmen24 04-23-2012 01:14 PM

There are quite a few church rummage sales going on this time of year, check the local papers for ads. Some will take furniture and other will not.

My wife and I just donated a dining room set this past weekend to the church a few houses down from us, that had their sale this past weekend. Didn't ask for a receipt, not sure of the protocol. We look at it as paying it forward and keeping a credit on our Karma account.

Good luck, you can also check with the local community action program.

CateP 04-23-2012 01:41 PM

I have been trying to get in touch with the Huggins Hospital collection center for days now. Nobody answers either of the two numbers listed on their sign at the collection center.

Thanks for the other suggestions. Really hoping to give to a non-profit versus just free furniture to anybody who will take it.

NickNH 04-23-2012 03:14 PM

What about this place:

http://www.newbeginningsnh.org/contact.html

winniplayhouse 04-23-2012 03:55 PM

The Winni Playhouse is a non-profit and donations are tax-deductible. We usually accept antique-looking furniture and especially small sized sofas. Contact info@winniplayhouse.org if it is something that might be suitable. Thanks!

BrownstoneNorth 04-23-2012 07:43 PM

Agape Ministries

A worthy organization, headed by Kevin and Janna Straughan, that has been serving the needy directly in various ways for more than a decade. Their volunteers, including Kevin himself, have picked up furniture and major appliances from us in Wolfeboro several times.

Not sure about the status of the new headquarters they've been buliding with community assistance, but they can always be reached through the Ossipee Valley Bible Church -- 603 539-4456.

A couple of background articles about Agape Ministries:

http://www.newhampshirelakesandmount...-new-home.html

http://www.conwaydailysun.com/index....y-construction

Re: Huggins Fair. As of a few years ago, when gas prices started to skyrocket, Huggins told us that their volunteer drivers could no longer afford to do pickups. We offered to pay for the gas but it was still no-go, so we could only donate things small enough to bring to the Barn ourselves.

WakeboardMom 04-24-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CateP (Post 180523)
Really hoping to give to a non-profit versus just free furniture to anybody who will take it.

Last year I had a couch, loveseat and large armchair w/ottoman that I needed gone. If someone would move it, they could have it, so I put it on Craigslist under "free."

I was very, very happy that it was a young woman in her twenties who came to look at it. She was back later that day with her husband and a friend. They have two young children, and had just recently moved cross-country taking only their children's toys. Other than that, they were starting from scratch. I know what you're saying Cate, about a non-profit, but like someone above mentioned, sometimes fate/karma steps in and takes a hand. I was glad to see the furniture go to someone who was appreciative. : )

fatlazyless 04-24-2012 09:47 AM

In Meredith, there's a small, 3-room Thrift Store on Water St., around the corner from Meredith Town Hall, that is always pretty busy with people, and will be happy to accept small furniture pieces like chairs, stools, ottoman's, small bureaus, small desks, small tables, small shelves, and small breakfronts that are in reasonable good shape.

The small furniture gets sold to the public at very small prices and the Thrift Store sends the proceeds to benefit a number of different community social concerns such as a local food pantry or two. No need to worry that the donated furniture is being sold and then the money going to pay for someone's gas guzzl'n Land Rover or something outrageous like a brand new, full-dresser Harley Davidson or something......because that's not happening......

If your home is starting to look like that "Hoarder's-tv show" where there's so much "stuff" inside that there's no room to manuever yourself from the kitchen to the living room to the garage then maybe it's time to start carting off all that collected "STUFF" down to the Water St Thrift Store in Meredith and you will seriously be a better person for doing this. Too much stuff.........not just a manifestation of loneliness and boredom.............. but a way of life..........say-hey........how's about that!

CateP 04-24-2012 11:20 AM

Feeling Good About Giving

Well...sometimes circumstances have a way of going in a direction you don't anticipate, but end up being the best. I have given away my entire living room set to a young newlywed couple who are just starting out and were absolutely THRILLED with the furniture. They are moving and I was also able to give them a bunch of once-used moving boxes. I gave them a couple of other things to as we toured my house and looked at the piles.

Yes, I had hoped to sell stuff or at least get a decent tax deduction by donating to a non-profit, but as WakeboardMom said above, sometimes there is great pleasure in knowing your stuff is going to appreciative people.

I still have a few items left and I'm going to look into the other resources listed above.

This has been a good lesson in giving for me.