Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Traffic Jam (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28087)

4 for Boating 07-03-2022 07:39 PM

Traffic Jam

Against my better judgment as we typically stay at the dock on busy weekends, I was convinced to drop my son and his friends over at the Weirs Beach docks so they could roam around... With what seemed like a slow boating season for the last few weeks >> I'm not sure I have been in a congested situation like that before on the lake - boats and jet-skis EVERYWHERE and in all different directions. People plowing through the no wake by Governors... It was absolutely crazy.

On the plus side the weather was outstanding and a big change from last year this time. I guess you take the good with the bad.

Happy 4th of July!

Lake Fan 07-03-2022 08:38 PM

I wonder if we are nearing "peak lake"? At some point we will hit a critical mass where there is too much pressure on the lake. It's not an infinite resource. Already there are large rafts of boats in areas where they never were before - ringing Ragged Island, on the east side of the Hole in the Wall, and others, while the usual spots are packed to overflowing. The lake has become a giant washing machine from the huge waves of wake boats and plowing cruisers. Dock space, slips, and moorings are at a super-premium and the shoreline is quickly being taken over by huge mansions and green lawns.

We've already seen fecal bacteria beach bans and cyanobacteria blooms this year. I fear the lake is being loved to death.

Maybe high gas prices, rising mortgage rates and a recessionary economy will slow the process, but there's always another "boom" down the road.

I love the lake myself. Just wondering how much more it can take?

mowtorman 07-03-2022 09:20 PM

Critical mass achieved

Glendale Bay just like Rodney Dangerfield and Caddyshack today. Pontoons doing a solid 45 through the new no wake, half of the others plowing at max wake speed. Maybe it is a max wake zone?

25 plus boats waiting to go down the Channel?

Tough day for the Marine Patrol.

Hundreds of boats Winnisquam Sand Bar....now that's the place for The Dive...oops wrong lake.
View from Ladd Hill dots everywhere...what happens when there is more square footage of boats than surface area?

Good weather....post covid (almost).... let's get this party started bring out the new toys!

We definitely need two Dives....why should the good folks of Winnisquam be left out.

Bangor Maine had a restaurant named the Submarine Diner because it flooded every spring. Think about it...how about a Navy surplus submarine on the lake for dining and loon watching? No worries about fuel costs with nuclear power and you wouldn't even know it was there. They could cut it up and bring it by rail to Lakeport to reassemble....oh they already did that except it was a car ferry side wheeler..

John Mercier 07-03-2022 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lake Fan (Post 372550)
I wonder if we are nearing "peak lake"? At some point we will hit a critical mass where there is too much pressure on the lake. It's not an infinite resource. Already there are large rafts of boats in areas where they never were before - ringing Ragged Island, on the east side of the Hole in the Wall, and others, while the usual spots are packed to overflowing. The lake has become a giant washing machine from the huge waves of wake boats and plowing cruisers. Dock space, slips, and moorings are at a super-premium and the shoreline is quickly being taken over by huge mansions and green lawns.

We've already seen fecal bacteria beach bans and cyanobacteria blooms this year. I fear the lake is being loved to death.

Maybe high gas prices, rising mortgage rates and a recessionary economy will slow the process, but there's always another "boom" down the road.

I love the lake myself. Just wondering how much more it can take?

If we have boats on the lake... we haven't reached high gas prices.
From what I have seen... still a lot of out-of-state plates and consumers.
We actually have so many customers that I have to use the computer on my desk as a register to handle the lines.

thinkxingu 07-04-2022 06:11 AM

Consumer debt is skyrocketing—people are still spending like they're getting stimulus checks. Methinks we're in for a world of hurt in the next half-decade.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

tis 07-04-2022 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 372556)
Consumer debt is skyrocketing—people are still spending like they're getting stimulus checks. Methinks we're in for a world of hurt in the next half-decade.

I agree. I wonder about credit cards!!

Ms Molly McKever 07-04-2022 07:30 AM

Money

Quote:

A lot of money at the lake, Ask any marina, People are buying big ticket boats out of a check book.

WinnisquamZ 07-04-2022 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms Molly McKever (Post 372560)
A lot of money at the lake, Ask any marina, People are buying big ticket boats out of a check book.

Yup. Big money coming in from MA, NY and Conn. Lakeside condos with docks going for a premium. Will be very exciting and interesting how the locals respond. Lot of talk about working class housing, but it’s just talk. All new apartment builds in process or planning are market rate. Good times ahead

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

John Mercier 07-04-2022 08:30 AM

If you heard what I hear every day... you would realize they don't have big money.

LoveLakeLife 07-04-2022 09:08 AM

John what are you hearing? Don’t tease us!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

John Mercier 07-04-2022 11:20 AM

Cost cutting in areas that do not make sense.
Usually after inferring that cost is not an issue.

Descant 07-04-2022 12:21 PM

Quote:

Agreed. I'd guess a lot of this is home equity loans on the huge increases in real estate values. And, "Better buy it now before the price goes WAY up."

John Mercier 07-04-2022 12:57 PM

Could be retirees cashing out.

BroadHopper 07-05-2022 07:15 AM

Cali Dreamers

Yeap. Folks settled from San Diego in my 'hood. Paid the highest price ever for a condo! Drop in the bucket for them! Even bought one of the biggest pontoon boat at Winni Marine!

Now they are complaining the lake is too crowded! I thought San Diego was crowded!

Maybe they will go back to where they came from.

dickiej 07-05-2022 12:21 PM

….too many people with too much money…

Juiced06GTO 07-05-2022 09:24 PM

I am holding all my cash and waiting for the crash.....really hoping my island cottages become affordable again so I can actually buy one!