Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Kayak launch site near the witches? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21163)

lfm 08-29-2016 11:15 AM

Kayak launch site near the witches?

Looking for suggestions for a car-top launch site, that would be advantageous to explore the witches.

Woodsy 08-29-2016 11:57 AM

Free site... Gilford Town Docks in Glendale by the Marine Patrol...

Silver Sands Motel (closer) has a launch... but they might charge you a couple of $$.

Woodsy

fatlazyless 08-29-2016 01:34 PM

....Gilford Town Beach-1100' long?

The Gilford Town Beach facebook has some good photos of the 1100' long natural beach, the longest natural beach on Lake Winnipesaukee, plus a map that would include the witches area that is out near Timber Island except it is a land map and not supposed to be a navigation map. The Gilford Town Beach is very close to Silver Sands Motel, and Silver Sands Marina, and Fay's Boatyard.

Anyone know if the Gilford Town Beach has transitioned yet from 'Residents Only' to 'Open to All' which happens when the beach employees summer employment is ended, which happens sometime soon like maybe yesterday, Sunday August 28, or so?

It could be a 30-yard kayak carry across the beach from the parking lot, to the lake, and once the lifeguards and other employees are no longer present ..... there is probably no fee to use the town beach because there's no one there to collect the money and to keep the non-residents out. It is directly across the road from Fay's Boatyard.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gilfo...38653092830199

Descant 08-29-2016 08:23 PM

Be aware,make yourself visible. There is a lot of traffic coming in/out of MVYC and Silver Sands. Add tubers and skiers to this. A kayak from Gilford Beach to the Witches is not a safety plan. Using a kayak to assert right of way over a larger less maneuverable boat is contrary to law, so be careful in a busy area.

Rich 08-30-2016 08:19 AM

Do you know anyone on the south east corner of Governors Island? That would be about the closest to the witches from a road, and the water should be an easy carry from the top of your car.

Bring a bottle of wine as a peace offering and go make some friends there! :cool:

Unfortunately, knowing the type of homes there, it may have to be a very expensive bottle of wine! :laugh:

codeman671 08-30-2016 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 268315)
Free site... Gilford Town Docks in Glendale by the Marine Patrol...

Woodsy

That will only work if you are a Gilford resident, or obtain a guest pass from one. Same thing with the Gilford town beach I think.

Depending on how much paddling you want to do, I suppose you could park over by Weirs beach and paddle out.

rick35 08-30-2016 06:23 PM

I guess the real question is is there anything to explore at the Witches by kayak?

Slickcraft 08-30-2016 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick35 (Post 268394)
I guess the real question is is there anything to explore at the Witches by kayak?

Well on a calm day I would find it interesting to poke around. Easy to see what lies below in a kayak in shallow calm water. I would guess quite a historical graveyard.

thinkxingu 08-30-2016 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickcraft (Post 268396)
Well on a calm day I would find it interesting to poke around. Easy to see what lies below in a kayak in shallow calm water. I would guess quite a historical graveyard.

Is it ever really calm there? Calm enough to see deep in the water, at least?

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

ishoot308 08-30-2016 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 268397)

On weekdays and even right now its very calm out there....

Barney Bear 08-30-2016 06:55 PM

Witchcraft

Many years ago, my brother cruised to the Witches in our small Alumacraft. He saw a sunken sailboat sitting on the bottom with its sail up. ⛵️

Slickcraft 08-30-2016 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 268397)

Yes for sure and it is not all that deep.