Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Pets (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Boat ladder for dogs (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13923)

donnamatrix 04-23-2012 09:41 AM

Boat ladder for dogs

Hi
I know a couple years ago somebody posted that they had purchased a ladder that attaches to back of boat to enable their dog to get back into the boat without a hassle. I believe the ladder is a bright yellow color... appreciate any information any of the forum folks can share.

Thanks

Little Bear 04-23-2012 10:54 AM

http://www.pawsaboard.com/ladder.asp

Check with Watermark in Gilford - they might have these. 293-4000

Alton Bay 04-23-2012 07:32 PM

...or Sports and Marine Parafunalia in Gilford.

fpartri497 04-23-2012 08:50 PM

I saw a bunch of doggy ladders at Parafunalia last friday when I was shopping there

:D

drifter 05-11-2012 02:17 PM

doggy ladders

There is a new product out developed by a gentleman from MA that is a lot easier to store on the boat and use. There is a display at the Channel Marine store with brochure on how to order them. video of the step in action with a couple of 50# +/- dogs at [URL="http://www.dogzoboard.com"] Costs vary but they are custom made to your swim ladder and should be around $115 (early season price) Please let 'em know you heard about it at Channel.

AC2717 05-11-2012 02:20 PM

pretty cool idea
but a price for something like that seems very high
seems like something you could put together real quick on your own, not to steal an idea from the maker

drifter 05-11-2012 03:29 PM

build your own doggy step

Yes, you could, but figure your costs and fuel and time in getting the rubber matting, starboard like material the snaps and mechanism to lock the step onto the ladder with the stainless fittings, cutting it, machining the edges etc. depends on your DIY comfort level and time i guess.

Dogberry01 08-28-2012 06:10 PM

For anyone still looking

1 Attachment(s)
This is what we use.

brk-lnt 08-28-2012 06:32 PM

We have the yellow "Paws Aboard" ladder also. I think I ordered it from Cabellas for just under $200 delivered.

IMO, it's OK, not great. The plastic is a little bit flimsy, I question how long it will hold up for. Setup is easy, but it does require a little bit of "assembly" to get all the supports and fasteners and whatnot in the right spots. It's not difficult by any means, but it does have that feel that one critical element could break at any time.

The benefit though is that my one "water dog" (we have 2 Boxers. One enjoys the water, the other would stay in the water forever chasing ducks if we let her) can board the boat on her own, since she jumps in at her own will when we are anchored. The ladder is a little bit steep, so older dogs might have a little trouble with it (our 7 year old Boxer needs an assist to get up the ladder on her own, it's frankly easier to just pick her up and set her on the swim platform).

And of course if you only have a single swim ladder and the Paws Aboard is attached to it, humans need to find an alternate way to get in and out of the boat. We just tilt the outdrive about 1/2 way up and use that to climb out.

Overall, I'd say it's probably worthwhile, as long as your dog can pull themselves up a little bit, and isn't too timid (the ladder moves with the waves and boat, so I can see how some dogs might not like that it's not "stable").

Dogberry01 08-28-2012 06:39 PM

I mounted carpet on the steps, made a huge difference for our dog to climb up. Just like walking up the stairs now.

brk-lnt 08-28-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogberry01 (Post 189961)
I mounted carpet on the steps, made a huge difference for our dog to climb up. Just like walking up the stairs now.

Good idea. Was it a berber carpet, or more of a deep pile? I might do the same thing, I'd just need to find a good quality carpet that compliments the boats interior, and I'd prefer if it was a rich textured berber, with maybe a nice 10lb padding under it. That way I could get the carpet for the ladder steps bound with a clean edge and a contrasting stitching.

Or, I could grab some remnants from the basement, hack off a few pieces and glue 'em down.

Dogberry01 08-28-2012 06:57 PM

I had a piece of carpet left over from last boat. It has a rubber backing and short pile. Matches current boat and best of all it was FREE. I have some left over if you are interested.

donnamatrix 08-29-2012 03:49 PM

This is exactly what we got

This ladder is exactly what I got - from Parafunalia - too bad that Cosmo the Wonder Dog - who has webbed feet - doesn't like the water. At least not from the boat. He will run into the water from shore, but only up to his shoulders. He doesn't like his paws leaving the ground... even if ducks are 10 feet from shore. It's funny, he will sit and let me pour water over him to wet him down. He seems to know that my pouring water over him will help cool him down, but he is not a water dog.

Dogberry01 08-29-2012 06:55 PM

We bought the ladder for our last dog a black lab. Come to find out she hated the water.