Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Drowning In Alton Last Night (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8352)

Just Sold 08-17-2009 09:22 AM

Drowning In Alton Last Night

Channel 9 and the Citizen reported a man drowned near Black Point Road in Alton last night. Reportedly after a domestic disturbance and alcohol was involved.
http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...998/-1/CITIZEN

Paugus Bay Lake Girl 08-18-2009 03:34 AM

New Hampshire man dies in Lake Winnipesaukee

New Hampshire man dies in Lake Winnipesaukee after dispute
The Lowell Sun
Updated: 08/17/2009 10:40:26 AM EDT

ALTON, N.H. (AP) -- Authorities believe alcohol contributed to the Lake Winnipesaukee death of a New Hampshire man who went into the water following a domestic dispute.

The New Hampshire Marine Patrol says 48-year-old Daniel Marcous of Alton was found about 50 yards from shore and didn't respond to efforts to revive him. He was pronounced death at Huggins Hospital in Wolfeboro.

The patrol is investigating the death.

VitaBene 08-18-2009 05:25 AM

Lesson

It drives the point home that alcohol consumed excessively and water do not mix. What an avoidable shame.

Rattlesnake Guy 08-18-2009 06:29 PM

We had two guest this year who had only drank one or two. We absolutely insisted they put on a life vest for their dip in the lake. Due to the really steep nature of our boulder strewn swimming area, they both conceded that this turned out to be a very good idea. Wearing a vest while swimming might not look cool but it sure beats the potential alternative. Be safe.

fatlazyless 08-18-2009 08:48 PM

Lots of people complain about the uncomfortable bulky pfd's, especially when it's hot. PararFunalia sells these swim belts which are much less bulky than pfd's and are actually much better for swimming because their bouyancy gets centered at your waist. At $25 they are way over-priced at ParaFunalia but no one else, including Wal-Mart, carries swim belts.

What the Lakes Region needs is an el cheapo $7.99, made in a Groveton NH garage, yellow or white swimmer's belt!

jmen24 08-19-2009 08:06 AM

And that way when you pass out and drown the MP will have an easier time finding you but your head will still be under water. A vest style PFD is the recommended option if you would like to have the option to clear water that you snuffed up, that way you do not have to try and stay balanced on a mid mount pivot as with a flotation belt, things might be a little hectic for a few moments as it is.

As Rattlesnake Guy stated throw on the PFD and go cool off, but drunk or buzzed and swimming are never a good idea. "Watch this, I bet I can swim to the mainland"
Not making light of the situation as it appears very different but how many times have we heard a comment like this in our years of social gatherings.

hazelnut 08-19-2009 08:54 AM

I went swimming in the Broads yesterday with my twin 5 year old boys. Ya know what? I used a life jacket. I actually brought my ski vest with me on the boat ride knowing that it was so hot and that I would be jumping in with the kids. The thought of my kids alone in the broads and me drowning.... :eek: It would be different if I had other adults with me but I thought it was a good idea while I was alone with the two kiddo's.

This is pretty sad news considering that it was so avoidable. I usually don't even like to swim off my beach at night when I am alone up here.

jrc 08-19-2009 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 103622)
What the Lakes Region needs is an el cheapo $7.99, made in a Groveton NH garage, yellow or white swimmer's belt!

Are you looking for a venture capitalist to fund this idea?

chipj29 08-19-2009 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hazelnut (Post 103658)
I went swimming in the Broads yesterday with my twin 5 year old boys. Ya know what? I used a life jacket. I actually brought my ski vest with me on the boat ride knowing that it was so hot and that I would be jumping in with the kids. The thought of my kids alone in the broads and me drowning.... :eek: It would be different if I had other adults with me but I thought it was a good idea while I was alone with the two kiddo's.

This is pretty sad news considering that it was so avoidable. I usually don't even like to swim off my beach at night when I am alone up here.

I would classify myself as an above-average swimmer. When I am drifting on my PWC, I often unbuckle and remove my PFD to get some sun. In the past, I have jumped in the water without it on, but never really felt comfortable doing that in the deeper water. Now I rarely even remove it. If I do, I have recently found myself putting it back on before I jump in the water. I have never had trouble getting myself back on my PWC, but the thought has occurred to me that there could be a time when I am not feeling up to par that I wouldn't be able to get back on. Swimming with PFD for me.

jrc 08-19-2009 07:32 PM

When I boat alone or otherwise can't count on someone to rescue me (weak swimmers or can't drive the boat) I always throw out the square PFD with a line tied to the boat. It gives me something to grab if needed.

SteveA 08-19-2009 08:15 PM

Us too

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrc (Post 103752)
When I boat alone or otherwise can't count on someone to rescue me (weak swimmers or can't drive the boat) I always throw out the square PFD with a line tied to the boat. It gives me something to grab if needed.

Before we leave the dock, on deck are the number of vests for the number of passengers and the throwable with a line already attached. Not required by the state to have on deck, but it's the way we have always operated.

VtSteve 08-19-2009 09:16 PM

There was an unfortunate incident recently here in Vermont. A man (I think age 47) was in a boat with his seven year old son. They hit a wave and the small boat capsized. The father had a heart attack and drowned. I know someone that knows them and the son was heard to say "But daddy wouldn't help me".

That's a pretty sad thing to hear.

An awful lot of drownings this year, papers across the country are filled with them.

John A. Birdsall 08-20-2009 11:03 AM

seat cushion

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrc (Post 103752)

Back in the good ole days, those square PFD were allowed instead of a wear type. But we used them to sit on so our hinney would not get sore when we jumped the mounts wake.. One day we threw it in the lake, it sank, quickly.
My uncle gave me four new ones for christmas that year.:eek:

Winnicandle 08-20-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chipj29 (Post 103662)
I would classify myself as an above-average swimmer. When I am drifting on my PWC, I often unbuckle and remove my PFD to get some sun. In the past, I have jumped in the water without it on, but never really felt comfortable doing that in the deeper water. Now I rarely even remove it. If I do, I have recently found myself putting it back on before I jump in the water. I have never had trouble getting myself back on my PWC, but the thought has occurred to me that there could be a time when I am not feeling up to par that I wouldn't be able to get back on. Swimming with PFD for me.

I always kind of did the same....recently got a nice neoprene Obrien vest and it so comfy Im happy to leave it on when jumping off the PWC.

Coolbreeze 08-20-2009 04:44 PM

Lets face it, I'm not 18 anymore. I went to Cabelas and purchased a self inflating life preserver. It isn't bulky, feels really good when it is on, light weight and compact. I paid about $100.00 for it and it is rechargeable if god forbid it gets used. My logic is this, if my something bad goes down on the lake and family goes in the drink. I have to be the rescuer and person to take control of the situation. Well, I sure as heck can't do that if I am without a pfd and trying to stay afloat myself.
Hello life jacket, I hope I never use you!

GFP 08-20-2009 07:23 PM

Responsible people

It is a relief to read the previous messages from intelligent boaters and swimmers who use PFDs knowing that they are not only responsible for themselves, but in many instances others who would need help in case of emergency. Kudos to all of you.

chipj29 08-21-2009 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GFP (Post 103921)
It is a relief to read the previous messages from intelligent boaters and swimmers who use PFDs knowing that they are not only responsible for themselves, but in many instances others who would need help in case of emergency. Kudos to all of you.

Unfortunately, it is usually only the irresponsible ones who get the recognition.

jrc 08-21-2009 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coolbreeze (Post 103912)
Lets face it, I'm not 18 anymore. I went to Cabelas and purchased a self inflating life preserver. It isn't bulky, feels really good when it is on, light weight and compact. I paid about $100.00 for it and it is rechargeable if god forbid it gets used. My logic is this, if my something bad goes down on the lake and family goes in the drink. I have to be the rescuer and person to take control of the situation. Well, I sure as heck can't do that if I am without a pfd and trying to stay afloat myself.

Ok stupid question, can you swim in one of those?

Yes, I know some auto-inflate and obviously you can't swim in those. But if I wear an manual inflate version, can I keep it on while swimming around the boat, then just pull the rip cord if I get oin trouble?

Coolbreeze 08-21-2009 09:45 PM

Here is what I know and how I made my choice. The manually inflatable PFD's are just that, manually inflatable by pulling the cord. I think you should be able to swim with one on uninflated and activate it if you need it. The only question I would think about is how would the baffles inside the velcro holding fabric dry with out opening it all up. Anyway, I chose the auto inflate with the manual pull cord option and a blow tube to adjust the boyancy.
If i swim off the boat in the lake, I'll use a waterski vest... or my water wings. This vest was initially purchased by me to wear in windy bad weather or when I'm with my family boating at night. I have offered it to my father to use when he is boating alone or working around the docks alone as he is on the lake far more than I.
With that being said, I found that I actually donned the pfd each time I was in the boat, in any conditions day or night. It is so comfortable and not really bulky or noticeable like the orange cubes or a ski vest. So read up and try the manual inflatable pfd, you will like it.

fatlazyless 08-21-2009 10:06 PM

Here's a terrific economy model.......available from your local transfer station,,,,,,and made with totally recycled materials.......a 3' rope and two empty clorox bottles worn around your waist like a belt. :D.

Didn't the Hawaiians used to use a belt with two hollowed out coconuts?

Ropetow 08-22-2009 08:00 AM

humidity

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coolbreeze (Post 103912)

Agree that type of PFD is convenient and comfortable, but....back in July when we had all that rain and humidity, we came to the boat one morning and found that a self-inflating vest had done just that, thanks to the humidity and moisture. Lesson learned....they now go back-and-forth with us in a 'boat bag'.

Coolbreeze 08-22-2009 01:58 PM

Agreed the element thst releases the gas that fills the PFD baffles is vulnerable to extended periods of moisture nad direct exposure to rain. It will dissolve in rain and really humid conditions and inflate the pfd. Bags are a great idea. I just wear mine into the house and take it off like a coat on rainy days.