Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Mast clearance... (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13971)

8gv 05-03-2012 11:13 PM

Mast clearance...

Hi folks!

I have a neighbor who is considering the purchase of a sail boat to be based in Paugus Bay. He plans on getting a day sailer with a keel that can be lifted up to reduce draft so I don't think the depth will be an issue. Can anyone tell me what the clearance is under the bridge at Weirs Beach? Thanks!

brk-lnt 05-03-2012 11:23 PM

I believe it is ~20ft in the center, depending on lake level.

no-engine 05-04-2012 11:04 AM

The charts would have the clearances.
However, there are sail boats with an easy to hinge down mast at the deck.
Might research those, along with how far they would extend beyond the transom! There could be some boaters follow too closely !!! Tailgating under the bridge!

SIKSUKR 05-04-2012 01:38 PM

6th edition Bizer just says 21 ft clearance with no reference to full lake.I would assume it would be at full lake though.

Bizer 05-04-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIKSUKR (Post 181295)
6th edition Bizer just says 21 ft clearance with no reference to full lake.I would assume it would be at full lake though.

Ya know, I never got an accurate measurement, but it's at least 21 feet.

Bizer took a 12 foot long boat hook, held it one foot above my head, added my six foot height, and that I was standing on my chair about 2 feet above the water to come up with that figure. I was unable to touch the underside of the bridge. I estimate there was about 3 feet of clearance between the boat hook and the underside of the bridge so it's probably more than 21 feet.

I don't think a day sailer would have a motor. Without a motor, you're not going to be able to go upstream without a strong south wind. And if you're under sail, your boom is likely a hazard to oncoming traffic.

8gv 05-04-2012 08:59 PM

Thanks for the replies. I shall pass the info on to my neighbor. I may not be using te correct term for the sailboat. I consider a day sailer to be a boat with no overnight cabin space. The motor would be a "kicker" probably under 10hp.

NoBozo 05-05-2012 10:06 AM

The term Daysailer was coined by the O'Day Company back in 1955. They built over 10,000 of their Daysailer models over the years and the term has become generic to represent just about any "open" sailboat...usually under about 20 feet or so, although and "open" sailboat over 30+ feet might also be called a daysailer. No overnight accommodations.

Even a 62 foot 12 Meter Yacht might also be refered to as a daysailer. :D NB

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=3338

PS: I'd be willing to hazzard a guess that the O'Day Daysailer @ just under 17 feet long would NOT fit under the Weirs bridge whithout a crewmember hanging over the side to "heel" the boat over to reduce clearence required. You would need a "kicker" (~3 HP).. to transit the channel. :)

8gv 05-05-2012 09:42 PM

So...bare pole, heel it over, hold course, don't hit any other vessels...yikes!

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoBozo (Post 181348)
The term Daysailer was coined by the O'Day Company back in 1955. They built over 10,000 of their Daysailer models over the years and the term has become generic to represent just about any "open" sailboat...usually under about 20 feet or so, although and "open" sailboat over 30+ feet might also be called a daysailer. No overnight accommodations.

Even a 62 foot 12 Meter Yacht might also be refered to as a daysailer. :D NB

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=3338

PS: I'd be willing to hazzard a guess that the O'Day Daysailer @ just under 17 feet long would NOT fit under the Weirs bridge whithout a crewmember hanging over the side to "heel" the boat over to reduce clearence required. You would need a "kicker" (~3 HP).. to transit the channel. :)

NoBozo 05-06-2012 06:48 PM

Scaling (measuring) the drawing in the link I provided (That drawing IS To Scale) roughly indicates the top of the mast on the O'Day Daysailer is about 25 feet above the waterline. Bizer says he "Estimated" the Clearence under the bridge @ 21'. I would GO to the bridge and drop a Plumb Line down to the water surface from the bridge to get a more accurate Clearence measurement.

BTW: Someone earlier mentioned there was a method by which a mast could be "hinged" at the deck so it could be folded down. This fixture is called a "Tabernacle". This IS an option.... HOWEVER....My experience indicates this is only practical with certain boats under about 20 feet in length... (Done at a dock). Sailboat masts are proportionally longer than the boat length.

OK: Picture emerging from the Weirs Channel...and then haveing to errect the mast ...Rockin & Rollin with all the boat wakes...NOT a pretty picture. ie: NOT HAPPENING. :D NB

Belmont Resident 05-08-2012 04:08 AM

Thinking back

In the almost 20 years I've been using the lake I do not recall ever seeing a sailboat that has been kept in Paugus Bay, nor do I recall ever seeing one enter or exit the bay.
There may be a reason for this.
Or maybe I've not been in the area when/if it happened.