Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Dunkin Dougnuts raises prices.... (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6066)

martbri7 05-22-2008 11:07 AM

Dunkin Dougnuts raises prices....

Must be getting close to summer Dunkin' in Meredith raised coffee prices $2.59 up from $2.48 for large regular iced, and Irving gas prices are on the rise every other hour it seems....oil biggies can't remember how much they get paid....I need to start walking and drinking sanka again, I'm nervous on how the future looks. :eek:

twoplustwo 05-22-2008 12:29 PM

Maybe they're saving up for a real parking lot?:laugh:

Mr. V 05-22-2008 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martbri7 (Post 71050)
I'm nervous on how the future looks. :eek:

Fuhgeddaboudit.

The future's so bright, I got to wear shades. :cool:

SAMIAM 05-23-2008 07:30 AM

You're right to be nervous Martbri7.....but don't blame the oil companies. The media wouldn't show much on the hearings....only soundbites of senators scolding the CEO's...........But the truth is it is our own lawmakers are causing the problem.92% of federal land is off limits for oil exploration because the listen to groups like Sierra Club and Greenpeace.Oil co. profits are only high because they are not allowed to explore on our own land or build any new refineries.If obama gets elected,expect to pay a carbon tax every time you fire up your weed trimmer.

donnamatrix 05-23-2008 03:15 PM

Oil & the future fears

Sam: I think we can take some of the blame ourselves. I remember the energy crisis in the 70s. My Mom was in the hospital, you could only get gas on odd or even days (depending on your license plate)and it was really hard to get to visit her as she was in a rural area ... yet the US , which inhales an enormous amount of fuel, has never done anything since the 70s to lessen our reliance on outside resources. Geologically speaking, most of the oil is not in the US... I don't want to eradicate the Alaskan wilderness to find oil. Car makers in the US seem to have embraced hybrids only in the last 15 minutes. I would dearly love to take public transport, but there isn't any up here. We're still not paying for fuel what is and has been paid in Europe and other places (except Middle East) ... I am also worried about the future. All the news about house values falling, layoffs, companies closing their doors, fuel costs, etc., it's like the Apocolypse.. eeek.

SAMIAM 05-23-2008 06:12 PM

I'm not sure how we are to blame,DM.....should we stop using our hairdryers,toaster ovens and weedwhackers out of guilt?..........I know there are third world countries out there with people still scavenging beetles and grubs for breakfast....but that's not our fault. I like my SUV,twin engine deck boat....A/C.....snowmobiles.....well,you know.

ITD 05-24-2008 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donnamatrix (Post 71188)
I don't want to eradicate the Alaskan wilderness to find oil.

Donna,

There's part of the problem, irrational fears just like that one. The same scare statements were used in the 70s when the Alaskan pipeline was put in. NONE of it came true. This whole price runup has been nothing but fearmongering. We need to increase domestic supply and we need to do it now. China is drilling for oil less than 50 miles off our coast, yet US companies are prevented to do so by the environmentalist liberals, where the logic there? Who would do a better job protecting the environment?

You brought it up...........

Mr. V 05-24-2008 11:15 AM

Supply and Demand.

The Far East has some major new players coming of age, i.e. India and China.

Have you followed the development of their auto industry, and their economies?

Their new requirements for energy, coupled to the existing demands of the West, are most responsible for the rise in energy costs.

Of course, it wouldn't hurt things if the President stopped jabbing the Arabs with a sharp stick, but that is just common sense.

RLW 09-08-2011 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martbri7 (Post 71050)
Must be getting close to summer Dunkin' in Meredith raised coffee prices $2.59 up from $2.48 for large regular iced, and Irving gas prices are on the rise every other hour it seems....oil biggies can't remember how much they get paid....I need to start walking and drinking sanka again, I'm nervous on how the future looks. :eek:

The reason for the increase is to pay for the extra coffee only drive thru window you requested back in April.:laugh: