Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   "Have a nice day"... (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20811)

garysanfran 06-25-2016 06:26 PM

"Have a nice day"...

Did all the local service employees attend the same customer service seminar during the "off season"?

EVERYWHERE..."Have a nice day"

If you have accessed this, you will be haunted by this brain-worm. Every time you hear this phrase you'll think of this thread.

Maybe we could tally the numbers?

Your curmudgeon...

mbr 06-26-2016 02:31 PM

There's a bench outside Heath's in Center Harbor that says, "You have a nice day now". Much more specific and demonstrative, and kind of rude.

Newbiesaukee 06-26-2016 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbr (Post 264239)
There's a bench outside Heath's in Center Harbor that says, "You have a nice day now". Much more specific and demonstrative, and kind of rude.

I believe this is a memorial bench to a gentlemen who worked at Heath's for years and this was one of his greetings.

Acrossamerica 06-26-2016 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 264195)
Did all the local service employees attend the same customer service seminar during the "off season"?

If you have accessed this, you will be haunted by this brain-worm. Every time you hear this phrase you'll think of this thread.

Your curmudgeon...

Wow, you sound just like your standard liberal. Get's up everyday and wonders what he or she can find wrong with the world. Be happy they don't just say thanks for your money now go back to what ever state you really live in because we like your money but we don't like you.

Outdoorsman 06-26-2016 05:49 PM

Have a nice day

NoBozo 06-26-2016 06:21 PM

Kinda like: "Thank You For Your Service". Maybe a little Pandering..?? :look: NB

PS: I am a Vietnam Era Veteran. 1959-1968. NAVY. NB

dave603 06-26-2016 06:26 PM

I noticed it most during the Market Basket Strike.
Every store you go into now asks how your doing when you get in line.
And says Have a nice day when your checked out.
Seems they all took the same customer service class.
Kinda nice actually.

dave603 06-26-2016 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoBozo (Post 264253)
Kinda like: "Thank You For Your Service". Maybe a little Pandering..?? :look: NB

PS: I am a Vietnam Era Veteran. 1959-1968. NAVY. NB

Better than getting sneered at or spit on like the 60's

Funny the same people saying it to us now, were the ones most likely to do the sneering.

Air Force 71 to 75

thinkxingu 06-26-2016 06:41 PM

Quote:

Your curmudgeon...

Are you complaining about people being NICE?!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

NoBozo 06-26-2016 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 264257)
Are you complaining about people being NICE?!

Maybe he is complaining about people being..FAKE...:look: :look:

thinkxingu 06-26-2016 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoBozo (Post 264259)

Maybe, but fake nice is still better than the alternatives and still not worthy of a complaint!

NoBozo 06-26-2016 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 264260)
Maybe, but fake nice is still better than the alternatives and still not worthy of a complaint!

I like your positive attitude. :) NB

Outdoorsman 06-26-2016 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoBozo (Post 264259)

Living the "Retail life" for 15 years in my younger days this was always a point of contention.

What is acceptable??? Sir? Madam? Mr? Mrs?.... NONE of those would make every customer happy... NONE! In fact, some of those respectful names will anger "customers"

Next time any of you hear this from a retail clerk just remember, they just want to make sure your visit is friendly.

God I do not miss the BS from disrespectful CUSTOMERS!

8gv 06-26-2016 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outdoorsman (Post 264263)
Living the "Retail life" for 15 years in my younger days this was always a point of contention.

What is acceptable??? Sir? Madam? Mr? Mrs?.... NONE of those would make every customer happy... NONE! In fact, some of those respectful names will anger "customers"

Next time any of you hear this from a retail clerk just remember, they just want to make sure your visit is friendly.

God I do not miss the BS from disrespectful CUSTOMERS!

A lot of my crew would often address the customer they were serving as "boss".

At first I thought it was odd but warmed up to it after considering that the customer really was our boss.

Also, to the folks who have served in our armed forces:

Thank you for your service!

garysanfran 06-26-2016 08:29 PM

Wow!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrossamerica (Post 264241)
Wow, you sound just like your standard liberal. Get's up everyday and wonders what he or she can find wrong with the world. Be happy they don't just say thanks for your money now go back to what ever state you really live in because we like your money but we don't like you.

No! I am a conservative who gets up every day and and sees a realistic world that has intense problems.

Quote:

"Be happy they don't just say thanks for your money now go back to what ever state you really live in because we like your money but we don't like you.
A quote from an ignorant person. Wow. You are a very ignorant, hostile person.

Uh, how many years have you lived here?

My famiy? 56 years.

Acrossamerica 06-26-2016 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 264269)
No! I am a conservative who gets up every day and and sees a realistic world that has intense problems.

Quote:

"Be happy they don't just say thanks for your money now go back to what ever state you really live in because we like your money but we don't like you.

My famiy? 56 years.

I will agree that the world has a lot of intense problems but one of them is NOT having to endure service people trying to be nice to you. Me thinks you would be happier doing all of your commerce on line where you do not have to have any personal interaction.

ApS 06-27-2016 03:39 AM

"Fake Nice", Makes One Think...

Quote:

If you have accessed this, you will be haunted by this brain-worm. Every time you hear this phrase you'll think of this thread. Maybe we could tally the numbers? Your curmudgeon...

My brain-worm engaged immediately after dinner last evening. The above message is emblazoned on the Syrofoam box and plastic bag of our "Doggy Bag" from West Lake restaurant. (Review to follow tomorrow).

The expression, "Have a nice day" goes back at least 25 years. I remember that because of an Australian's response to that phrase was, "I'll have any kind of day I want to have".

:laugh:

TCC 06-27-2016 06:48 AM

"Wow!" is right!

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 264269)

My famiy? 56 years.

Apparently what constitutes one of the world's "intense problems" on the left coast is somewhat different from the things that concern us here in New Hampshire.

Given the poster's general tone, it isn't surprising that the social courtesies of others might often seem insincere - that tends to happen more often when one is rude.

Curiously, although "my family" has lived in Michigan since the early 1800s and I've gotten back there occasionally over the past 25 years, I just don't feel that qualifies me to claim ownership to that state.

Airedale1 06-27-2016 12:26 PM

This reminds me of a scene from the movie, My Blue Heaven.

It's a comedy starring Steve Martin. Martin plays a New York Mafioso who is in the witness protection program and gets relocated to an idyllic small town.

Well, Martin walks into the local supermarket and a young employee; a clean cut teenager, greets him at the front door with a sincere, "have a nice day" and being a jaded New Yorker, Martin thinks the kid is being sarcastic and replys. "F&%K YOU!"

Major 06-27-2016 01:27 PM

Presidential Candidate

It reminded me of our esteemed presidential candidate who happens to be a former first lady. Here's an exchange between HRC and a secret service agent when she was a resident of the White House -

Secret Service Agent: "Good morning, ma’am.”

HRC: “F&%k off!”

Classy!

Hillcountry 06-27-2016 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 264313)
It reminded me of our esteemed presidential candidate who happens to be a former first lady. Here's an exchange between HRC and a secret service agent when she was a resident of the White House -

Secret Service Agent: "Good morning, ma’am.”

HRC: “F&%k off!”

Classy!

A truer, beatch, there never was...oh yeah and a crooked, liar too!:eek:

Irish mist 06-27-2016 03:06 PM

If you respect everyone in your public & private affairs until or unless they give you cause otherwise to do so, why is this even an issue ? Just nod & move on about your business.

Descant 06-27-2016 03:57 PM

Ladl

I don't have a youtube link, but I recall a George Carlin routine about "Have a good one". I laughed all day long. Thanks, George.

Visiting my grandparents in Florida, the retailers used to say "Thank you. Hurry back." Apparently, that never made it through the training classes, but it makes sense to me.

KPW 06-28-2016 07:21 AM

What are you supposed to say?

I have been in customer service for my entire working life. What are you supposed to say?

Gatto Nero 06-28-2016 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 264342)
I don't have a youtube link, but I recall a George Carlin routine about "Have a good one". I laughed all day long. Thanks, George.

Here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on_Q16xRoxI

SAMIAM 06-28-2016 11:03 AM

Got to YouTube and type in "The Restaurant Ep#5
My crew went hysterical watching it......adult language

garysanfran 06-28-2016 06:30 PM

There's nothing wrong with the saying...

Quote:

Originally Posted by KPW (Post 264395)
I have been in customer service for my entire working life. What are you supposed to say?

But there are inventive alternatives. Maybe we could come up with a few here?

"Thank you for your patronage".

"Please come again. I hope you enjoyed us, as much as we enjoyed having you".

" I hope you have a GREAT day". (no wimpy niceness, and no order to try and control that, that is out of our control...i.e. We have all had terrible days, regardless of some stranger's well intentioned order to "Have a Nice Day").

garysanfran 06-28-2016 06:41 PM

You once again fail to understand...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrossamerica (Post 264272)
I will agree that the world has a lot of intense problems but one of them is NOT having to endure service people trying to be nice to you. Me thinks you would be happier doing all of your commerce on line where you do not have to have any personal interaction.

I want, and love, courteous service people and tip them well for doing a good job. My comment had nothing to to with having to "endure" anything. It was a comment on ALL using the same, the exact same, phrase...Entiende?

Let's come up with some alternatives.

I find the majority of your posts critical, hostile and rude...Are you hostile and rude? Did you play well in the sandbox? Probably not.

KPW 06-28-2016 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 264450)
But there are inventive alternatives. Maybe we could come up with a few here?

"Thank you for your patronage".

"Please come again. I hope you enjoyed us, as much as we enjoyed having you".

" I hope you have a GREAT day". (no wimpy niceness, and no order to try and control that, that is out of our control...i.e. We have all had terrible days, regardless of some stranger's well intentioned order to "Have a Nice Day").

Thank you! I appreciate it!!

chipj29 06-29-2016 08:01 AM

When someone tells me to have a nice day, I usually mutter under my breath "what if I don't want to?"
:D

Janet 06-29-2016 09:24 AM

My Dad always muttered "compared to what".

tleeclffrd 07-05-2016 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbr (Post 264239)

This bench is a memorial to my grandfather. The etching you find so "rude" was his kind and friendly way of greeting the people he encountered while he spent his days collecting carts from patrons. Chances are, if you shopped there prior to the last two years, you and he may have crossed paths. It's sad to think that he may have wasted his kind gesture on someone who couldn't appreciate it. Or more specifically...you.

mbr 07-06-2016 01:59 PM

It was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. My meager sense of humor failed.

Descant 07-06-2016 08:09 PM

Tic

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbr (Post 264921)

Not a failure. Sometimes you have to put TIC in the title bar for those with a different sense of humor than yours. Sometimes you don't know you're TIC until somebody gets upset and then you say, as I do, "oh that was meant to be TIC. I just forgot to say."

Knowing who their real customers were, True's Gift Shop in Meredith used to have chairs outside labelled "For Tired Men". I know, I know. Off topic. But this was a loose topic from the start.

Flotnjr 07-06-2016 08:40 PM

Is this a serious topic?

I saw this thread- and immediately thought it was in jest. After reading the comments, I'm floored. How in the Hell can you be offended by somebody telling you to "Have a nice day"? If you don't immediately look up, smile, and return the nice gesture, than you, my sir, are an ass.

AB_Monterey 07-06-2016 08:56 PM

Is this like when people get upset when someone wishes them a Merry Christmas?

tleeclffrd 07-07-2016 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbr (Post 264921)

Apologies if it was meant as sarcasm. It's not always easy to interpret context in written word. I really just couldn't believe someone could find the bench offensive. Especially given the purpose is the complete opposite. I suppose too, the mood was set by the initial post in this thread.

Nagigator 07-07-2016 08:28 PM

Hey everybody!

Lighten up Frances.........

swnoel 07-08-2016 06:12 AM

God bless you all...

Pricestavern 07-09-2016 04:59 AM

Have a Nice Day - History/Usage

"Have A Nice Day"; Wikipedia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_a_nice_day
:)

Hillcountry 07-09-2016 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricestavern (Post 265149)
"Have A Nice Day"; Wikipedia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_a_nice_day
:)

It figures that "Euros" would choose not to use or be welcoming to its utterance by others....damn glad I'm an American in the good ol' (but quickly, fading) USA.
Have a nice day ya'll!

songkrai 07-09-2016 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave603 (Post 264255)
Better than getting sneered at or spit on like the 60's

Funny the same people saying it to us now, were the ones most likely to do the sneering.

Air Force 71 to 75

Yep. The deferment types. Anything to get out of serving in the military at that time. Although most have been a small minority who showed up at airports to jeer and spit at returning soldiers coming back from duty overseas.