Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boat Repairs & Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Bottom Paint Source (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13744)

CateP 03-19-2012 07:12 PM

Bottom Paint Source

"Mysterious", the 25 ft. Catalina sailboat is coming to the big lake from NJ at the beginning if April. She will need a bottom paint job and I am looking for a good source for bottom paint and other marine supplies at the best discount in the region. Willing to drive from Wolfeboro to get my marine supplies.

NoBozo 03-20-2012 09:11 AM

Not to try to throw a wet towel on the on the Joys of spring chores and launching....If the boat has spent it's life under the protection of likely .."Copper Based Anti-Fouling" bottom paint, commonly used in salt water...I wonder if ALL the old copper paint has to be Stripped Off down to gelcoat to be legal for use in the lake...from an environmental point of view..?? I don't know the answer to this question and am curious. :look:

Stripping old bottom paint was always my least favorite part of owning a salt water boat. I did it every year for 25+ years. :D NB

codeman671 03-20-2012 10:35 AM

I have never heard of any restrictions on bottom painted boats being required to be stripped before fresh water use. There are plenty of bottom painted boats in the lake. A lot of the marinas have electrolysis issues.

Soda blasting is not very expensive and makes quick work of it. It's not like the old days...

I either get my stuff online (a lot of places have free shipping deals) or West Marine in Portsmouth. I am a Port Supply member so I get a commercial discount through them, which works out well.

ishoot308 03-20-2012 10:46 AM

My Eastern has anti fouling paint on the bottom. There is no issue that I am aware of...

LIforrelaxin 03-20-2012 11:12 AM

West Marine is probably your best bet for marine supplies. They have several locations, although Portsmouth is probably the closest to you.... But if you are going to be traveling for work on occasions they do have other locations as well. You can also order things online and have them delivered.

Most all of the Marina's can order things for you as well....

As mentioned if you find you want to strip your bottom paint, soda blasting is the way to go.

NoBozo 03-20-2012 12:23 PM

Here's some interesting info on anti-fouling paint from the West Advisor (West Marine). :) NB

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...-fouling-Paint

BTW: You will have to remove ALL the old paint anyhow, before you apply ANY kind of new paint. Once you remove the old paint, you WILL have to apply "Some Kind" of new paint because the bare gel coat will be very unsightly after having had salt water anti-fouling paint on it for years. The old paint fills in all the stress cracks in the gel coat and will look like varicose veins after the old paint is removed. The lines can not be removed..so you paint it again. I've been there.

Belmont Resident 03-20-2012 12:36 PM

Point of view

Being a painter, if you use a good quality paint and clean any loose or chipping paint off, then seal it with a fresh coat of paint you have effectively sealed in anything that is under the new paint.
The key to a good long lasting paint job on anything you are going to paint is the prep.
You might look at Sports and Marine Parafunalia they might have what you’re looking for.

Good luck

Fishy Cover 03-20-2012 12:57 PM

Bottom paint unneeded in fresh water

Hi Cate. You do not need anti-fouling bottom paint in fresh water. Unlike the ocean, the lake has no barnicles, mussels or sea grass that grow on your bottom. You will get a thin layer of some type of growth, an algae-like film that will easily wash off with a pressure washer.

So my advice is to do nothing, e.g. leave the existing paint on.

CateP 03-20-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishy Cover (Post 178189)
Hi Cate. You do not need anti-fouling bottom paint in fresh water. Unlike the ocean, the lake has no barnicles, mussels or sea grass that grow on your bottom. You will get a thin layer of some type of growth, an algae-like film that will easily wash off with a pressure washer.

So my advice is to do nothing, e.g. leave the existing paint on.

I kept barnacles off my boat using cayenne pepper. Worked every time. I'm not concerned with anti-fouling paint as much as I want the bottom to look nice after a rough patch in a storm and recent repairs. I'm looking into copper free paint because I DO care a great deal about the environment of these beautiful waters.

NoBozo 03-20-2012 06:25 PM

Codeman mentioned "Soda Blasting". I have heard of it but don't know much about it. It sounds like it would be much easier than hand sanding like I did in the old days.

The old paint HAS to come off. With all respect to BR..Boat painting is NOT the same as house painting. Cate: I wish you well. :) NB

Ironfish 03-21-2012 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoBozo (Post 178213)
The old paint HAS to come off.

Not necessarily. The new paint has to be the same as (or compatible with) the old paint, and the old paint has to be structurally intact. I have an ocean boat that stays in the water year round (south winters and north summers). Four years ago, it was stripped to the gel coat, Interlux barrier coated (prevents water intrusion into the fiberglass, aka blisters), and painted with 4 coats of Micron brand antifouling bottom paint.

Every year since, it has been hauled, cleaned, scuff sanded, and painted with a single coat of Micron bottom paint, right over the old paint. I probably won't have to strip it to the gelcoat for another 10 years.

If the bottom paint isn't peeling off, a marina can have a sample of the paint tested, and a new coat of the same (or similar/compatible) paint can be applied over the old paint. It's done all the time, and for that matter, most of the time.

Most bottom paints contain copper. Recently, low/no copper paints have been introduced, that are apparently more eco friendly. Some people claim that the copper free paints do not do as good a job at inhibiting growth, but that is probably a non issue for seasonal lake use. However, finding a copper free bottom paint that is compatible with older paint may be a challenge.

drifter 03-21-2012 10:21 AM

another thought

Another option for blasting away the bottom paint and it's reportedly gentler on the gelcoat and easier to clean up afterwards is a type of blasting with dry ice. there are just a few companies that do it but its basically dust free and the only material to be disposed of afterwards is whatever came off the bottom of your boat. Something to look into....

gf2020 03-22-2012 06:27 PM

Since you are on the East side of the lake, I would reach out to Andy Brousseau at Complete Marine Care in Tuftonboro and have him take care of the whole job.

I tow my boat 100 miles each way to his shop each October to have him service and store my boat.

Andrew Brousseau
Complete Marine Care LLC
603-651-9727

http://www.completemarinecare.com/

WJT2 03-22-2012 08:31 PM

Bottom Paint

Stop in Tewksbury and vist Jamie Sheehan.. he'll do you right.

Woody38 05-17-2016 07:28 PM

paint stripper

Best thing on the market by me is StarTen.
www.starten.com