Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Plasma/LCD TV - cold weather (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5131)

Dave M 09-12-2007 09:06 AM

Plasma/LCD TV - cold weather

Got a chance to get a Plasma/LCD TV(24" or so) and planning on using it at the camp on the lake. I'm a seasonal residence and have heard that the cold weather destroys these type of TV's. Do any of the forum experts have info on this.

Thanks

Dave M

Paugus Bay Resident 09-12-2007 09:40 AM

I have an LCD in my boat, and it (the boat) stays in the water all winter. No problems so far. If you can move it easily though, why not.

mcdude 09-12-2007 11:23 AM

I've destroyed two stereo surround sound receivers by leaving them in the unheated camp over the winter. Lesson learned.

Phantom 09-12-2007 02:27 PM

Dave -- I may be way off here -- I too have heard that cold affects the TV's. In fact when you first get one (which we did) Part of the instructions & advise from the store was to let it sit for 24 hours (to let it get to room temp) before turning it on for the first time. What a bummer that was -- to stare at a 42" blank screen on the first day!!!!! And to boot there was a Football Game on ......... GGrrrrrrrr

Perhaps that only applies to first time fire up?? No clue -- I'd ask a couple of stores their opinions -- and I mean a couple, just in case you get the "trainee" on the first go around. Try Circuit City, Best Buy, etc.

Good Luck

Waterbaby 09-12-2007 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom
Perhaps that only applies to first time fire up?? No clue -- I'd ask a couple of stores their opinions -- and I mean a couple, just in case you get the "trainee" on the first go around. Try Circuit City, Best Buy, etc.

Good Luck

In addition, I'd call the manufacturer and perhaps a couple of appliance repair places, to be on the safe side!

Bear Islander 09-12-2007 11:14 PM

Just remember these things are shipped all over the world, in all weather, by truck, rail and container. I've been running trucks for a long time and never seen a heated truck box.

If you check a units specifications you will find an operating temp. But what you need is the shipping temperature range or storage temperature range. That spec will be harder to find.

I think the question comes up because of the word "Liquid" in LCD and the idea that liquids freeze.

Try a google search for your unit and "shipping temperature". Some units have shipping temps down to -40.

bigpatsfan 09-13-2007 08:04 AM

It appears that Plasma TVs have an operating temperature range of 32°–104°F (0°–40°C);

Operating range is just that…. You can use your TV when its temperature is between 32 and 104F…

Storage temperature is also just that… how cold or hot the TV can get before it suffers damage to itself…Note that the TV is not plugged in during storage… keep in mind most TVs go into sleep mode when turned off..

So if you get to the camp and the room is less than 32F then you cannot use the TV…

Hope this helps..

Mr. V 09-13-2007 09:32 AM

Google is your friend.

>snip<

Environment Considerations
Operating Temperature: 32 - 104 degrees F (0 - 40 degrees C)
Operating Humidity: 20 - 80%
Operating Altitude: 0 - 9180 feet (0 - 2800m)
Storage Temperature: 14 - 122 degrees F (-10 - 50 degrees C)
Storage Humidity: 10 - 90%
Storage Altitude: 0 to 9840 feet (0 - 3000m)

SIKSUKR 09-13-2007 01:53 PM

Leave it plugged in.This produces a small amount of heat to keep her from freezing.

upthesaukee 09-14-2007 05:37 PM

Laptop LCD freeze up

We had a customer this past winter come in with his laptop, which he had left in his car overnight outside with temps in the teens and maybe even down into the high single numbers, not in a garage, and in a slip case (very thin laptop case). When he realized where his laptop was, he went out to the car (next morning) and got it, and turned it on. Screen was gonzo!:( , and the customer was not happy that the company would not honor the warranty...operating temperature limits of 32 degrees to 100 or so.

The message to the customer by the CST, which several of us heard on the speakerphone, was in a very nice way, what part of "LIQUID" did you not understand:rolleye2: . The company CSR was actually very empathetic, but unfortunately the $1000 laptop became victim of a $700+ screen replacement (actually customer opted for a new computer).

I don't know that I would leave it in the camp, unheated. JMHO:)

Mee-n-Mac 09-14-2007 08:07 PM

It all depends ...

I've had some LCD displays go bad when left in the car but then again the LCD in the car radio has never gone bad so I guess it all depends. Same can be said for the LCD in the boat, no problems so far. Now given what you'd pay for an LCD TV I think I'd follow SIKSUKR's advive and leave it plugged in. That should prevent it from going bad ... I think. That and leave it where the sun can warm it.

Aquadeziac 09-15-2007 08:37 AM

It would seem there are a vast number of large boats (not to mention RVs) that come factory equipped with LCD TVs built in. These are known to be seasonal use items. Somehow I don't see thousands(or millions) of people in cold climates pulling their built in TVs out of their RVs and boats before they are shrink wrapped. And its doubtful they will have power to them while they are in storage. Possibly the the problem with the laptop was that it was turned 'on' while it was still cold. Sure, apply current to a frozen LCD and what do you think will happen? Willing to bet if he let it warm to room temp before starting, things might have been different. Face it, by the time the shrink wrap comes off in the spring, the ambient temp is in the acceptable range anyway.

jeffk 09-15-2007 09:22 AM

Maybe?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIKSUKR
Leave it plugged in.This produces a small amount of heat to keep her from freezing.

I'm not sure that leaving it plugged in will produce much heat. The newer TVs are digital which consume far less power and don't require the warm-up (in general) that older TVs required. Also, environmentally, there is a push in the electronics industry to minimize the standby power used (energy star electronics) and also thereby the heat produced.

I agree that if some electronic gadget is frozen the best thing to go is let it warm to room temperature before turning it on. Computers that have been shipped to me have had very obvious notice about this inside the box. It may not even be the plasma or LCD that's the main problem but instead the associated electronics and the dampness that comes with cold temps. In low power electronics it may not take very much of a condensation "short" to blow something out. And since no one bothers to fix these things you end up having to replace the unit.

Figure out what brands you may be interested in and call or put a question on the manufacturers web site. Save the response. If you don't get a response maybe you don't want a brand that won't respond to customer questions anyway. :rolleye2:

SIKSUKR 09-18-2007 12:38 PM

I think Aqua and Jeff are on to something here.There are many LCD screens that are left in freezing temps all the time with no damage at all.Jeff has a point about condensation accumulating in the component and a resutling short when powered up.I'm doing some research on this one.

First thing I ran into was this from HDTVexpert.com

LCD monitors freeze at low temperatures: Well, at some point, everything will freeze! But the liquid-crystal paste used in LCD displays has a different specific gravity than water, and its freezing point is much lower as a result. I have left consumer and professional LCD monitors out in cars overnight when temperatures dropped into the low ‘teens with no adverse effects the next day. (Be nice to the monitor and let it warm up to room temperature before use.)

Keep in mind that many of the displays in today’s cars use LCD technology, in particular car radios and CD players. When was the last time you saw one of those crack when left out in cold weather?

Just found another reply on Yahoo

Will lcd tv freeze in winter months if no heat?
I have a romte cabin which i run with generators. it is not used in winter months and it is not heated or insulated . will my lcd tv get damaged by the cold if i do not bring it home for the winter months. Does any body know?????

Best Answer - Chosen By Voters

Contrary to popular belief, LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) Technology does not involve any sort of liquid whatsoever. LCD panels use tiny microchips that "twist" open to allow light to pass through the display to your eyes. There is no risk of these Crystal "twisters" to freeze. They can get cold, and their "twisting" can be reduced however, but that's about it. I do suggest allow the tv to warm up before use. The answer to your questions would be like asking if it is ok to leave a calculator in a cabin for the winter. Calculators use the same "LCD" technology, and of course, I'm sure the one you left at the cabin last year still works just fine. No worries. Don't forget to rate me. Dan 15 Years Home theatre/Tv sales Management
On a side note, keep in mind, lcd technology has been around for over 50 years (invented by sharp) and the technology is used everywhere, like your car dashboard, boeing 747 airplane control panels, laptops. All these items can and will be exposed to freezing temperatures at some time in their lives, and they are still "Living"

GWC... 09-18-2007 03:39 PM

Some informative links for your viewing pleasure...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_crystal_display

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article...rystal-display

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/lcd.htm

http://www.liquidcrystaltechnologies...DMaterials.htm

Quote:

In most applications, a temperature range of -40oc to +85oc is sufficient, however for unusual applications, fluids are available with operational temperature ranges as low as -55oC and as high as +125oC. Fluids that have relatively flat response curves from -40oC to +85oC are readily available.
URL Link:

http://www.liquidcrystaltechnologies.com/TempRange.htm

Here's a website that provides temperature conversion... :D

http://www.albireo.ch/temperatureconverter/

Dave M 09-19-2007 09:49 AM

Lcd

Hi folks, thanks for the replys. I wonder if size of the LCD has anything to do with it. Radio/CD are small, labtop larger, TV's larger yet. I was talking to a saleperson who works in TV's and said to look at the storage temp for the TV. Even though it would probably would be OK to leave, he did suggest taking it home. I would have a small TV so its not a problem but what happens when you have 42". He did mentioned that the TV should be carried vertically and not laying down as damage can happen. Seems there's more to it than I thought.

Dave M

loony 09-19-2007 11:22 AM

off topic- dishwasher freezing

We shut off the heat + winterize our camp, but we also use it occasionally in winter (sometimes with large groups).

I'm in the market for a new dishwasher and prefer one that can withstand freezing in winter without winterizing the drain. Currently, we briefly turn on the rinse-hold cycle after shutting off the water to purge the supply line, but we don't pour antifreeze in the drain. The dishwasher never worked very well, so I dont know if freezing had any affect.

I'd like to avoid using antifreeze- and doing a rinse-hold before each use during the winter.

Any ideas?