Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   EKAL = LAKE spelled backwards! (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14579)

fatlazyless 08-01-2012 09:39 AM

EKAL = LAKE spelled backwards!

www.ekalactivitycenter.com just opened for kayak, canoe, pedal boat, and stand up paddle board rentals on August 1, and is located in the Meredith Bay, no-wake zone, just a short walk down the boardwalk from the Meredith town docks, Lake Winnipesaukee parking area.

So, what's up with calling it an EKAL ......I dunno.......but that sure was smart of me to figure it out to be LAKE spelled backwards........don't you think!!!

Jonas Pilot 08-01-2012 10:22 AM

They call it that because it's easier to say than eekuasepinniw.

RLW 08-01-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 188020)
www.ekalactivitycenter.com just opened for kayak, canoe, pedal boat, and stand up paddle board rentals on August 1, and is located in the Meredith Bay, no-wake zone, just a short walk down the boardwalk from the Meredith town docks, Lake Winnipesaukee parking area.

So, what's up with calling it an EKAL ......I dunno.......but that sure was smart of me to figure it out to be LAKE spelled backwards........don't you think!!!

Congratulations, the USA just got another gold metal for fatlazyless spelling back wards. May I be the first to congratulate you on winning that honor.:)

GTO 08-01-2012 04:51 PM

ohhhh

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLW (Post 188036)
Congratulations, the USA just got another gold metal for fatlazyless spelling back wards. May I be the first to congratulate you on winning that honor.:)

And you are out of medal contention for spelling the worh "Medal" incorrectly.

SIKSUKR 08-02-2012 08:07 AM

Yup,only sselyzaltaf would figure that one out.:laugh:

Jonas Pilot 08-02-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIKSUKR (Post 188089)
Yup,only sellyzaltaf would figure that one out.:laugh:

You better double check that!

dpg 08-02-2012 10:43 AM

Could someone find Less a job? Please!!! :D

Simon 08-02-2012 11:19 AM

The EKAL Activity Center is owned and managed by Scott Crowder - Pond Hockey Classic

Rusty 08-02-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 188020)

The "NEWS FROM THE VILLAGE The Inns and Spa at Mill Falls" said that the EKAL Activity Center opened in late June.

http://millfalls.com/blog/?p=1411

SUP New Hampshire 05-29-2013 07:11 PM

SUPNH.com paddle boarding lessons and rentals

SUP-NH Paddleboard Rentals - has been teaching others to paddleboard since 2007.New for 2013! board rentals and lessons can be brought to the customers location or local beaches. SUPNH offers the most experienced training in New England. Head instructor Christopher Shields was the first person to paddle board Lake Winnipesaukee back in 2007. This interest sparked the growth in the lakes region, showing others the versatility of the sport. Learn with the best! Over 23 years surfing and kayaking expierience!

More info @ www.supnh.com
like on facebook www.facebook.com/supnh
follow on twitter www.twitter.com/supnh

phone 1-603-833-1211

lake_summer 05-30-2013 09:34 AM

Glad to see

I am happy to see a SupNH post. My husband and I found a Ekal brochure and wanted to try them out. The activity center hours were weird and we never found the actual location. This is okay because we used the smart phone search and found Paddle-board NH online,top of google search. They are a local company and they brought the sup lesson right to the town docks in Meredith, it was fantastic service! :)
We learned the basics within the hour lesson. I was so happy that we started renting boards from them throughout the summer. They would drop them off at our home in Alton every time, and pick them up.
I just wanted to tell others about our experience, sorry there is no review for the Mill falls center, never tried them. I will try them again for some kayaking on the bay this summer.
PS: paddle-board NH, if you read this? You need to advertise more as you are a hidden gem service, Thanks

fatlazyless 05-30-2013 11:19 AM

...waterskiing at EKAL?

Is there any chance for waterskiing at EKAL? Last time I did a one ski, dock start was probably in August of 1967, but I am TOTALLY CERTAIN that I could do it again on my very first try ....... one ski-dock starts .....piece-o-cake .....just hit-it!!:D

VitaBene 05-31-2013 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 204849)
Is there any chance for waterskiing at EKAL? Last time I did a one ski, dock start was probably in August of 1967, but I am TOTALLY CERTAIN that I could do it again on my very first try ....... one ski-dock starts .....piece-o-cake .....just hit-it!!:D

Not on this Lake! 75' line precludes that with a 150' rule in place

BroadHopper 05-31-2013 07:22 AM

The old days

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 204888)

I use to be pretty good at jumping off the beach onto one ski and landing on the beach when finished. I never got wet. The beach babes go wild!

Skiing off the dock was common. I know of one guy who actually skied back on the dock! He was nuts.

chipj29 05-31-2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 204888)

I could be wrong (it happens), but I thought the 150' rule had a loophole that allowed you to pull up a skier within 150' of shore.

fatlazyless 05-31-2013 07:34 AM

.....u-know something ... I used to land right back on the same dock ..... too; it was wicked easy ...... just head for the dock aftyer you let go the rope ..... and keep your one ski tip up ..... betcha I am TOTALLY CERTAIN I could still do that too .... piece-o-cake buddy ..... just hit hit it! :D

ITD 05-31-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 204903)
.....u-know something ... I used to land right back on the same dock ..... too; it was wicked easy ...... just head for the dock aftyer you let go the rope ..... and keep your one ski tip up ..... betcha I am TOTALLY CERTAIN I could still do that too .... piece-o-cake buddy ..... just hit hit it! :D

If you ever attempt this again, please have it video recorded.....

LIforrelaxin 05-31-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chipj29 (Post 204902)
I could be wrong (it happens), but I thought the 150' rule had a loophole that allowed you to pull up a skier within 150' of shore.

Yes their are some loop holes in the law. As I learned a couple of years ago...
However I will also say that the Marine Patrol is aware of the loop holes, and in talking to them I got the impression, that while the loop holes are their, they are still likely to confront people, when witnessed by an officer.....

However when I made my complaint, they explained the law and wording to me, and noted that what I was witnessing, could be considered unsafe, for which the Marine Patrol would have the right to confront the offenders. But With out being present to witness the entire surrounding environment, was actually with in the law.

The bottom line is their are gray areas when it comes to starting skiers off close to shore, but they are gray and their is lots of room for interpretation. And what you feel maybe safe, the Marine Patrol and your neighbors may view differently.

webmaster 05-31-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin (Post 204908)
However I will also say that the Marine Patrol is aware of the loop holes

It's not really a loophole. It is specifically allowed in RSA 270-D:2:

Quote:

VI. (a) To provide full visibility and control and to prevent their wake from being thrown into or causing excessive rocking to other boats, barges, water skiers, aquaplanes or other boats, rafts or floats, all vessels shall maintain headway speed when within 150 feet from:
(1) Rafts, floats, swimmers.
(2) Permitted swimming areas.
(3) Shore.
(4) Docks.
(5) Mooring fields.
(6) Other vessels.
(b) These requirements shall not apply when:
(1) Starting skiers from shore, docks or floats, as long as neither the boat nor the skier is endangering the life or safety of any person.

DickR 05-31-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 204900)
I use to be pretty good at jumping off the beach onto one ski and landing on the beach when finished. I never got wet. The beach babes go wild!

Yeah! I used to do starts that way, too. Actually, it's easier to start that way than to do a deep water slalom ski start. I'd, stand in perhaps knee-deep water on one foot, with the front half of the ski at the surface, and leave a 6-7 foot loop of rope loose. When the rest of the rope was out straight, I'd shout "Hit it!." That was just enough room for the boat to gain enough speed so that I could simply step onto the ski and take off, without the boat pulling me over onto my face.

The beach babes go wild? You've got me dreaming about that for this summer. I'm envisioning making a big impression on all those cute young babes barely in their 50s. Well, it's a matter of perspective.

LIforrelaxin 05-31-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 204913)
It's not really a loophole. It is specifically allowed in RSA 270-D:2:

While I agree that it is specifically stated, it was left purposely as a loop hole. And as the legislation was poorly written, it created a huge grey area in the law.

It completely nulls what is previously stated. And in theory what is previously stated constitutes not "endangering the life and safety of any person"

In short if a person is with in 150' feet of the tow boat and skier, their life is unnecessarily endangered by proximity given the previously stated rules. Whether the person feels they where endangered or not, and weather the skier and boat operator feels they where endangering the person or not, are all irrelevant . The law is dictating what is safe or not...

In short you are in violation of the law, even if no one involved in the situation feels they where endangered at all....

This is a prime example of a loophole / grey area in a law. It makes it hard to enforce because of the many arguments that it allows. It is an example of legislation that needs to be rewritten. Such that it will allow the activity, but at the same time leave the interpretation up to the people involved.

Hence why the blanket statement and belief of most people, and indeed the way the law is most often enforced, is that you have to be 150' away from anything and anyone, to be above headway speed, regardless of skiing or not...

A last note this law is also out of date because it uses the term skier, which through personal interpretation, may not cover a person on a wake board, kneeboard, tube or other tow-able toy...

The bottom line from the Marine Patrol when I talked with them, was that they would most likely stop and engage in conversation the inherit safety concerns with this type of Practice. But that even if they felt someone was doing it in an unsafe manor, they would be hard pressed to fine them, because the law itself allows for to much interpretation.

LIforrelaxin 05-31-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DickR (Post 204917)
Yeah! I used to do starts that way, too. Actually, it's easier to start that way than to do a deep water slalom ski start. I'd, stand in perhaps knee-deep water on one foot, with the front half of the ski at the surface, and leave a 6-7 foot loop of rope loose. When the rest of the rope was out straight, I'd shout "Hit it!." That was just enough room for the boat to gain enough speed so that I could simply step onto the ski and take off, without the boat pulling me over onto my face.

The beach babes go wild? You've got me dreaming about that for this summer. I'm envisioning making a big impression on all those cute young babes barely in their 50s. Well, it's a matter of perspective.

Your Neighbors will be awaiting the ski performance and ensuing rush of babes to the shoreline for sure......