Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Snowmobiling (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Two snowmobiles through the ice 2-11 night (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13608)

upthesaukee 02-11-2012 11:20 PM

Two snowmobiles through the ice 2-11 night

WMUR and Union Leader reported that two snowmobiles through the ice. They were rescued by an airboat from Moultonboro FD. Good outcome to what could have been a disasterous situation.

Here's the link: http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...WS07/120219986

Merrymeeting 02-12-2012 06:13 AM

If the report is accurate, it's hard to believe that anyone was out on The Broads after dark with these conditions. They are very lucky that it ended well.

Slickcraft 02-12-2012 06:47 AM

WMUR web site story

This story was updated at 1:03 am.

Quote:

ALTON, N.H. -- Authorities rescued two snowmobilers on Lake Winnipesaukee in the area of the Broads on Saturday.

Gilford firefighters said they received a call from one of the two snowmobilers who said that he was riding with a friend, but when he turned to look back, he could no longer see him. Firefighters said the snowmobiler told them that when he turned around to look for his friend, he went through the ice himself. He was able to get himself out and call for help.

GPS coordinates from his phone indicated he was in an area approximately 1 mile east of Welch Island and 1 mile south of Sandy Island, rescuers said. An initial staging area was established at Ames Farm Inn and then moved to Lakeshore Park.

Rescuers said a DHART helicopter was able to locate one snowmobiler in the area identified on the initial call, and a Tuftonboro’s air boat was sent to the scene.

Crews were able to rescue a man and transported him to Lakeshore Park in Gilford. He was then transported to Lakes Region General Hospital by ambulance for evaluation for hypothermia.

Rescuers said the second victim had made his way to shore in Tuftonboro and was transported to Huggins Hospital by ambulance. The second man was transferred to Gilford's ambulance at Lakeshore Park.

"We have been hearing that ice conditions are very poor and this drives that point home. There are numerous ice ridges that have created open water -- even in the middle of the lake. These guys were extremely lucky that they weren’t more seriously injured, and that they had a phone that they could use and that could help them be located," said Gilford Fire Chief Stephen Carrier.

Alton Fire Department, Tuftonboro Fire Department, DHART, Gilford Fire-Rescue, Gilford Police Department, and NH Fish & Game assisted at the scene.

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/30437829/de...#ixzz1mARIt3Qp

upthesaukee 02-12-2012 06:53 AM

Evidently only 1 snowmobile, two riders.

Reports this morning indicate only one machine, two riders. Also, DHART helicopter was involved in the rescue. Not to mention all the rescue personnel whose lives were put in danger. The only good thing is that no one lost their life.

And I agree MM, what were they thinking? There certainly has been enough news reports about the ice and open water. It just makes me shake my head.

Jonas Pilot 02-12-2012 07:15 AM

I hope it costs 'em.

They should be charged for the costs of their rescue.

Formula 02-12-2012 08:03 AM

Hellicopter

I was wondering what was going on arouns 9:00pm. The rescue hellicopter was in the West side at the end of Long Island searching the lake.
I figured that someone went through!

SeventySeven 02-12-2012 08:13 AM

TFD is the best...

Excellent work by the men and women of Tuftonboro Fire/Rescue.

Mink Islander 02-12-2012 08:16 AM

Make them pay

I sure hope the state comes after them for the full rescue cost and starts fining them daily for the sleds in the lake. Will probably be ice out before they can retrieve the sleds.

You really wonder how people can be this stupid.

Slickcraft 02-12-2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot (Post 175986)
They should be charged for the costs of their rescue.

If this was a case of hikers being rescued in the White Mountains and the hikers had blatantly ignored widely publicized warnings of unsafe conditions, they would be charged for the rescue costs.

Good to hear that the snowmobiles were rescued. However if the reports on how it came about are true, then they should pay-up.

In addition to the cost of the rescue, a number of rescue personnel were put at serious risk.

raydoe1 02-12-2012 08:43 AM

Is the snowmobile on the bottom of the lake???

Sandy Island fan 02-12-2012 08:44 AM

Tfd

Sandy Island's Fire Brigade drills with Tuftonboro Fire Department at the start of our season (which is how my daughter ended up engaged to one of their members!). All of the men and women that we have met from the department are wonderful people, and I would hate to think that any of them - or those from the other responding departments - might have come to harm because of someone's stupidity. Accidents happen - but this was totally assinine!

SeventySeven 02-12-2012 11:13 AM

Judgement day is just ahead...

If what I hear is correct, these boneheads will be seeing the Judge in March. Cited for OUI. Currently free on bail. No law against stupidity, hence not cited for that.
It would be really special if the Judge is a regular visitor to this forum.

Mink Islander 02-12-2012 01:09 PM

Yep

Quote:

Originally Posted by raydoe1 (Post 175995)
Is the snowmobile on the bottom of the lake???

Snowmos don't float so well, unfortunately. But dumb and dumber will soon find out how expensive their mis-adventure was when they get the bill for the recovery. Maybe they can charge them with skimming too. Lol.

Slickcraft 02-12-2012 01:24 PM

Yes OUI

WMUR update:

Quote:

ALTON, N.H. -- Authorities have charged two snowmobilers with OUI after rescuing them from Lake Winnipesaukee late Saturday.

Gilford firefighters said they received a 911 call from Jason Quin, 32, of Nashua who reported that he and a friend had fallen through the ice. Officials said Quin managed to pull himself out of the water but he remained stranded on the ice.

Neighbors also called for help after seeing the second snowmobiler, Derek Couture, 33, of Manchester, fall through the ice near the shore line.

"We have been hearing that ice conditions are very poor and this drives that point home. There are numerous ice ridges that have created open water -- even in the middle of the lake. These guys were extremely lucky that they weren’t more seriously injured, and that they had a phone that they could use and that could help them be located," said Gilford Fire Chief Stephen Carrier.

Quin was transported by DART helicopter to Lakes Region General Hospital where he was evaluated for hypothermia. Couture was transported by ambulance to Huggins Hospital in Wolfeboro.

Both men were treated and released before they were charged. Both men were free on bail Sunday morning and were due in court in March.

Alton Fire Department, Tuftonboro Fire Department, DHART, Gilford Fire-Rescue, Gilford Police Department, and NH Fish & Game assisted at the scene.

Sandy Island fan 02-12-2012 01:41 PM

fools

My husband often quotes: "Apparently, God watches out for drunks and fools.." These guys seemed to have covered both bases.

MAXUM 02-12-2012 03:18 PM

Darwin also awards drunks and fools too!

I can't even begin to express the stupidity of these two. Even worse, those of us that are hardcore snowmobilers have to fight the public image that is left when stuff like this happens.

Kudos to the folks that risk their own life to go out and rescue these guys.

ITD 02-12-2012 03:34 PM

There basically no snow on the lake, tough on the tracks and nothing to cool the sled unless it is air cooled. Pretty dumb. Was on Blackies cove, ice was 8 to 14 inches thick. Snowmobiles stayed locked up though.

Little Bear 02-12-2012 04:38 PM

Does anyone know where they fell in/lost the sled?

I was watching the helicopter shine the light down on the lake last night. Could also see flashing lights on the lake, which must have been a rescue vehicle (ATV, sled or airboat)? I turned on my hand-held NAV/COM radio and heard the DHART helicopter broadcasting to Laconia traffic.

NoBozo 02-12-2012 07:50 PM

If the DHART Helicopter is from Dartmouth Medical Center.....in the past, that was a Eurocopter Dauphin. (French) The US Coast Guard uses them for SAR. Not cheap.

Like Woodsy says: "You Can't Fix Stupid." :look: NB

PS: Trouble is: There is No Law against STUPID.

Mink Islander 02-12-2012 08:24 PM

Or we could call them....

A couple of Dunkin Dumbnuts.....

upthesaukee 02-12-2012 08:46 PM

New RSA needed?

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoBozo (Post 176026)

When we lived in Bossier City LA, we had a friend who was a city cop. He always maintained that the city needed to add one more law on the books, and he could write tickets all day long. The charge: Aggravated Ignorance.

Unfortunately, you can not legislate against stupidity.:(

Little Bear 02-13-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoBozo (Post 176026)
If the DHART Helicopter is from Dartmouth Medical Center.....in the past, that was a Eurocopter Dauphin. (French) The US Coast Guard uses them for SAR. Not cheap.

Like Woodsy says: "You Can't Fix Stupid." :look: NB

Here's the info on the DHART chopper. They are made in the USA by American Eurocopter. DHART operates two of these choppers: one based in Lebanon, one based in Manchester.

http://www.eurocopterusa.com/about_u...try_leader.asp

fatlazyless 02-14-2012 07:42 AM

Supposedly, the cash price as opposed to the health insurance price, for a helicopter ambulance ride in the DHART helicopter is $14,000 .........anybody have any experience with that?

jmen24 02-14-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 176086)
Supposedly, the cash price as opposed to the health insurance price, for a helicopter ambulance ride in the DHART helicopter is $14,000 .........anybody have any experience with that?

Yes, a fellow business owner over here on the Sunapee side of the state, broke his arm in three places while snowmobiling in Pittsburg. Because of the condition of his break, he was given the option of ambulance transportation through 3 hospitals enroute to Dartmouth or they could call in DHART. His ride in DHART 1 cost his insurance company $12,400. That was 2 years ago.

Jonas Pilot 02-14-2012 08:53 AM

I hope he enjoyed the ride. It must have been pretty exciting. The price is a lot cheaper at the Sandwich Fair though.

jmen24 02-14-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot (Post 176095)
I hope he enjoyed the ride. It must have been pretty exciting. The price is a lot cheaper at the Sandwich Fair though.

He did actually say it was pretty neat, though the view is non existent. It is not the kind of ride you really ever wish to tell a story about.

I would also have to think that the price his Ins Co paid was directly relative to the care he received and distance traveled. I do not think for even a minute that there is a set rate for their services.

Belmont Resident 02-15-2012 06:32 PM

sled fine

Well given nothing can be done until spring to recover the sleds. Ice will not support recovery. The daily fine for the sleds being in the lake alone should add up to quite a large sum of money. Then there is the lawyers fee for the DWI which will probably be pennies compared to the fine from the sleds being in the lake.
I'd say what comes around will be going around for these two.
Anyone know the daily rate for sleds in the lake?

Formula 02-15-2012 07:43 PM

Recovering Sleds

I have told today that the recovery crew will be using an air boat tomorrow to start the recovery of the sled(s) in about 108 feet of water.

Remember- "lets be safe out there"!

SIKSUKR 02-16-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formula (Post 176198)
I have told today that the recovery crew will be using an air boat tomorrow to start the recovery of the sled(s) in about 108 feet of water.

1 mile south of there and it could have been in 200 ft.

Webbsatwinni 02-16-2012 05:56 PM

Anyone close enough to get pics of the event?

Jonas Pilot 02-16-2012 06:24 PM

I was thinking the same thing. I hope some one takes pictures of the recovery and posts them here.

samosetguy 02-16-2012 09:43 PM

WMUR - footage of rescue

If you missed it, there was some raw footage of the actual rescue in the WMUR news report.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2j_s1JGmzQ

GTO 02-17-2012 09:32 AM

another video

Quote:

Originally Posted by samosetguy (Post 176282)
If you missed it, there was some raw footage of the actual rescue in the WMUR news report.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2j_s1JGmzQ

There is another video on Youtube of the same rescue posted by Dscan27 and it shows the airboat arriving back to the shore and the injured being taken off. If you listen to around the middle of the video, you hear a voice say to the camerman (and I assume is a police officer) and say, "you can't video or take pictures...is that clear"

Whats up with that?

Senter Cove Guy 05-22-2012 02:16 PM

One Sled Up

One of the sleds was recovered from 125 feet of water by divers from Dive Winnipesaukee on Sunday.

Belmont Resident 05-22-2012 04:32 PM

and how much does that add up to?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senter Cove Guy (Post 182377)
One of the sleds was recovered from 125 feet of water by divers from Dive Winnipesaukee on Sunday.

What is the daily fine for being in the water? :laugh:
Well even if the guy beats the rap there is no way around the fine and recovery cost. Hopefully they learned their lesson but something tells me differently. :cool:

ishoot308 05-23-2012 09:48 AM

$1000.00 Per Day

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belmont Resident (Post 182392)
What is the daily fine for being in the water? :laugh:

When I went through with my Polaris Ranger a couple years ago on Winni, I was informed by the fire department that I had 72 hours to get it out or I would be fined by D.E.S. $1000.00 per day for every day it was left in. I had it out in 12 hours!!

Dan

secondcurve 05-23-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 182445)
When I went through with my Polaris Ranger a couple years ago on Winni, I was informed by the fire department that I had 72 hours to get it out or I would be fined by D.E.S. $1000.00 per day for every day it was left in. I had it out in 12 hours!!

Dan

I'm curious, what was your retrieval cost?

ishoot308 05-23-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondcurve (Post 182477)
I'm curious, what was your retrieval cost?

It was right around $5,000.00 Insurance paid 100% of the cost (Allstate). Normal retrieval cost should have been around $3000.00 but my options were very limited and at the time I didn't know any better. That won't happen again!!

Dan

Belmont Resident 05-24-2012 04:16 AM

Wow

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 182480)
It was right around $5,000.00 Insurance paid 100% of the cost (Allstate). Normal retrieval cost should have been around $3000.00 but my options were very limited and at the time I didn't know any better. That won't happen again!!

Dan

I did not know that insurance covered going through the ice.

secondcurve 05-24-2012 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belmont Resident (Post 182496)

I would imagine it is like any other accident. However, after having this type of accident your next year premium would be quite steep.

ishoot308 05-24-2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belmont Resident (Post 182496)

As long as it's an "ATV" you are covered. An automobile would not be covered going through the ice. A snowmobile would also be covered.

Secondcurve, my premiums did not change one penny as this was covered under my plans comprehensive coverage. Had this been a collision with another vehicle / ATV I am sure my premiums would have been adjusted.

Dan

Edited to add: Best to check your policy regarding ice break through coverage as any insurance company can have exceptions. I confirmed with Allstate that I was in fact fully covered before signing on as I would only be using the Polaris Ranger on ice. Can't say enough good about Allstate and how they handled this unfortunate incident.

diz 05-24-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 182516)
As long as it's an "ATV" you are covered. An automobile would not be covered going through the ice. A snowmobile would also be covered.

Secondcurve, my premiums did not change one penny as this was covered under my plans comprehensive coverage. Had this been a collision with another vehicle / ATV I am sure my premiums would have been adjusted.

Dan

I think it may depend on the policy. My agent tells me I'm covered if my truck goes through the ice. I ask every winter to be sure.

VitaBene 05-30-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diz (Post 182517)
I think it may depend on the policy. My agent tells me I'm covered if my truck goes through the ice. I ask every winter to be sure.

My understanding is that you need an off road policy rider (IIRC) to be covered if you go through with a car.