Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Seafoam Equivalent Alternate ? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13315)

Mirror Lake's BB 11-21-2011 06:13 PM

Seafoam Equivalent Alternate ?

I noticed a gasoline additive, STP Multipurpose Motor Treatment, next to my usual Seafoam gasoline additive that I use for lawn and garden equipment. I noticed that the containers were similar, if not identical, similar use instructions, similar 'used for' equipment, etc. The STP product is new and a full rebate is currently being offered for the second bottle purchased. A good deal to me that won't last very long if the product is comparable.

I have read on a forum that the STP product may be identical to and made by Seafoam. Is anyone familiar enough with these products to comment? The gasoline with ethanol is killing me with all the equipment that I own and sometimes need more than just Stabil (red or marine).

Thanks everyone.

NoBozo 11-21-2011 07:02 PM

I use to use StaBil. No particular reason why I changed. Now I use StarTron. BEWARE: There are a few different strengths.....How many ounces per gallon to use. The bottle cost difference can be significant.

My results so far have been positive:..the motor always starts after the winter layup and runs fine during the season. In the boat, which only gets about 15-20 hours of use a season, I always add some with Every Fill Up. It only amounts to an ounce or two per 20 gallons. I carry a "Shot Glass" on the boat to measure it.

One season, I didn't commission the boat at all and it started right up after the two winter layup.

I also use it in my lawn tractor, weed whacker, chain saw..etc. :) NB

TOAD 11-22-2011 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoBozo (Post 172108)
I use to use StaBil. No particular reason why I changed. Now I use StarTron. BEWARE: There are a few different strengths.....How many ounces per gallon to use. The bottle cost difference can be significant.

My results so far have been positive:..the motor always starts after the winter layup and runs fine during the season. In the boat, which only gets about 15-20 hours of use a season, I always add some with Every Fill Up. It only amounts to an ounce or two per 20 gallons. I carry a "Shot Glass" on the boat to measure it.

One season, I didn't commission the boat at all and it started right up after the two winter layup.

I also use it in my lawn tractor, weed whacker, chain saw..etc. :) NB

To my knowledge Startron is the way to go now. Was recommened to me by the marina where I bought my boat. 5 years and no problems.

Belmont Resident 11-22-2011 05:46 AM

Advice

We run the gas down as low as possible then add stabilizer, blue marine. In the spring you are adding that much more fresh gas to the tank. That is what was recommended to us and it has worked for years now. The days of putting the boat away with a topped off tank are gone. If the gas goes bad it is just that much more bad gas you have in the tank.
With ALL other gas powered equipment , mower, snow blower, chainsaw, weed whacker, etc, it is recommended you drain the tank completely them run it until all the gas is out of the carb. That is how the snowmobile dealer I use does all the sleds.
We use the blue marine stabilizer in EVERY tank of gas that goes into our sleds, weather at a gas station or on the trail you can still get bad gas. Cars will run on it because the computers will compensate for the bad gas but 2 stroke sleds are destroyed by it.

dpg 11-22-2011 06:58 AM

I let all my home stuff two mowers, gas blower, weed wacker and snow blower run dry of gas before putting them away. Been doing this for years and never an issue. Some people feel it dries seals, etc..All my equipment gets replaced because of age or just because I want to upgrade most things I give away still running when I buy new so I must be doing something right. :D

SIKSUKR 11-22-2011 08:15 AM

Never ever ran the fuel out of any equipment I own. Stabil in everything towards the end of its season. 30+ years and never 1 problem. I must be doing something right also.:laugh:

LIforrelaxin 11-22-2011 10:34 AM

The Key as I see it is to consistently run what ever treatment you chose. I have used both Startron and Stabil with out any issues.... every time I fill the boat, or power equipment it is treated.....