Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Strawberry Patch in Wolfboro (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14499)

Mink Islander 07-21-2012 02:14 PM

Strawberry Patch in Wolfboro

Two thumbs down to the Strawberry Patch. Today was the single worst restaurant experience my family has ever had in the Lakes Region.

We arrived around 10:30 to what looked like a line of a couple of groups of 4-6 people waiting to be seated. Typical summer weekend. We were told the tables were turning soon and the wait would be only a few minutes. 30 minutes later we were seated. Ok, no foul there since the wait staff can't always judge those things. We ordered promptly. 45 minutes later a 4 top, seated long after our table of 5, gets their food. 15 minutes later (yes, an hour after being seated), our food finally is delivered. The chocolate chip pancakes that normally nearly cover the plate are only 3-4 inches wide. My "heavenly hash" - hash with eggs on top and then covered with cheese sauce was disgusting. The sauce had the color and consistency of brown mustard. - it was spread, not poured on the eggs. Seriously? So we complained about the painfully slow service and the mini pancakes and asked for some kind of discount on the meal.

When the waitress told this to the owner behind the grill, he said a number of things for all to hear:

1) We're busy. They're aren't getting a discount. If they don't like it they don't have to eat here.

2) He then said we must be Democrats (apparently for suggesting that some form of compensation was due). Wow.

He did send us one additional pancake after hurling these insults at us.

Now I did work for a lot of years in my youth at restaurants ranging from dishwasher, sandwich line cook, and waiter at two fine restaurants (French service, tux's, the whole bit). I know how hard the business is. I know what it's like to get in the weeds on a very busy day. This wasn't that. A breakfast place has to be able to quickly turn out quality plates. That's the business. The prior owner, Tammy, did a great and consistent job at that. Today the kitchen was simply a train wreck. And the owner really doesn't get that his is a service business and keeping customers happy is a key part of that. A simple apology and a small cut on the bill would have preserved a long time customer. But no.

So after 25+ yrs of making the Strawberry Patch a frequent weekend breakfast destination, we will never be back. So, no, Mr. Owner, we don't have to eat at your restaurant.

camp guy 07-21-2012 03:40 PM

Strawberry Patch in Wolfeboro

I'm sorry, Mink Islander, for your experience at the Strawberry Patch. For what you describe there is no excuse whatsoever, Period.

That having been said, I hope you will not judge the entire Wolfeboro restaurant scene by this inexcusable experience.

mcdude 07-21-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mink Islander (Post 187113)

2) He then said we must be Democrats. Wow.

:laugh::D this is too funny! SURE....Democrats....that explains everything!

and in Wolfeboro.....of all places!

Thanks for the laugh Mink Islander

NoBozo 07-21-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdude (Post 187120)
:laugh::D this is too funny! SURE....Democrats....that explains everything!

and in Wolfeboro.....of all places!

Thanks for the laugh Mink Islander

I guess I'm out of touch with Wolfeboro politics..I don't get it...:look: NB

Mink Islander 07-21-2012 06:44 PM

Funny but true

Anyone can have a bad day, but the owner's infantile meltdown was certainly unexpected. And the Democrat comment was very funny in hindsight. Who knew Republicans prefer bad service and worse food?

The best part was when my wife stopped at the kitchen entryway to make sure he knew we had heard his comment and wouldn't be back, he gave her some additional mouth and then turned his back on her and turned up the exhaust fan. Master chef he's not.....

And I am very interested in checking out the other breakfast options in Wolfboro....

Jonas Pilot 07-21-2012 07:40 PM

Wolfeboro breakfast.

I haven't been to the Strawberry Patch in years. Wolfeboro has other breakfast opportunities. Most open pretty early and probably start switching over to lunch in the late morning.

Happy Gourmand 07-22-2012 06:26 AM

The Wolfeboro Diner is the place for breakfast when in Wolfeboro. They serve Democrats, Republicans and Independents. The breakfast they serve is pretty darned good too!

Merrymeeting 07-22-2012 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand (Post 187142)
The Wolfeboro Diner is the place for breakfast when in Wolfeboro. They serve Democrats, Republicans and Independents. The breakfast they serve is pretty darned good too!

And even Yankee's fans! :eek:

Rusty 07-22-2012 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand (Post 187142)

They serve Democrats, Republicans and Independents.?

Not my type of food thanks. :D

BroadHopper 07-22-2012 08:45 AM

Experience with SP

I had good experience with Strawberry Patch for years. Lately in the past few years I had mediocre food and service. I think the place is under new management? Last year and this year, I avoided SP and favored the Wolfeboro Diner.

Isn't this Mitt's town? A Republican stronghold? I hope to he!! that Mitt don't win. I'm not please with the way the Secret Service manhandled innocent children during the July Fourth parade.

tis 07-22-2012 10:53 AM

There was a line at the Strawberry Patch this morning, a lot longer than the diner so some people must still like it.

I didn't hear about the SS manhandling of kids at the parade. What happened?

Mink Islander 07-22-2012 12:22 PM

Long lines

They wait was long yesterday too - because the kitchen couldn't get food onto plates. Others in the restaurant were literally coming to the kitchen area to ask for more coffee or their check because the entire waitstaff was waiting to pick up orders and not taking care of the other customers. In this case, a long line doesn't mean good food. It means slow kitchen. I wonder how many people they served.

Others may find the service and quality acceptable. To each their own. I don't think it's worth patronizing. Add the jerk owner response to legit complaints and you're off my list forever.

KBoater 07-22-2012 12:57 PM

In Wolfeboro for Breakfast

In Wolfeboro for Breakfast I like the Wolfeboro Inn and the Front Poach.
You need a car or a good walk to the Porch.
I;m not sure it Dockside still serves breakfast.

mcdude 07-22-2012 04:50 PM

Try LYDIA's or KATIE's.....two other excellent choices.

jrc 07-22-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 187162)
Isn't this Mitt's town? A Republican stronghold? I hope to he!! that Mitt don't win. I'm not please with the way the Secret Service manhandled innocent children during the July Fourth parade.

Without getting into politics, you do realize that the Secret Service work for the current President, not for Mitt.

spider22 07-23-2012 07:43 AM

I am a republican and I would find this poor service unacceptable. I have been to Donna Jean's near weirs beach on a saturday morning when then place was packed and we still get seated right away and order, get our food, and eat it within 30 minutes at the longest so the fact that they are busy is not an excuse. They need to hire more or better people so they can serve people in a timely manner.

gtagrip 07-23-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrc (Post 187181)
Without getting into politics, you do realize that the Secret Service work for the current President, not for Mitt.

jrc, Mitt does receive SS protection as being the Republican nominee for President.

Also, the SS has no affililiation to the President or Mitt Romny. They are a independent security service that protects our important leaders. The SS does not "work" for the President.

Peter 07-23-2012 11:54 AM

I worked in the Strawberry Patch back in the late 80s and waited on Bob Dole and his wife, Elizabeth. It was a great restaurant and owner to work for back then. It is important to keep that quality food moving and turn thos tables fast during the summer.

tis 07-23-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter (Post 187266)
I worked in the Strawberry Patch back in the late 80s and waited on Bob Dole and his wife, Elizabeth. It was a great restaurant and owner to work for back then. It is important to keep that quality food moving and turn thos tables fast during the summer.

AH, when he was running for President. Same scene. Everyone was nervous they were going to buy a summer place here.

spider22 07-23-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merrymeeting (Post 187148)
And even Yankee's fans! :eek:

Say it isn't so. They even serve Yankee's fans. Some people have no morals.

jrc 07-23-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtagrip (Post 187259)
jrc, Mitt does receive SS protection as being the Republican nominee for President.

Also, the SS has no affililiation to the President or Mitt Romny. They are a independent security service that protects our important leaders. The SS does not "work" for the President.

OK my definition of "work" and yours might be different. The Secret Service is led by Mark Sullivan. The Secret Service is a part of the Department of Homeland Security. So Mark reports to the Secretary of Homeland Security, Janet Napolitano. She is on the cabinet and reports directly to President Obama.

Most federal government workers report up to the President, that's what we elected him to do, be the chief executive.

gtagrip 07-23-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrc (Post 187285)
OK my definition of "work" and yours might be different. The Secret Service is led by Mark Sullivan. The Secret Service is a part of the Department of Homeland Security. So Mark reports to the Secretary of Homeland Security, Janet Napolitano. She is on the cabinet and reports directly to President Obama.

Most federal government workers report up to the President, that's what we elected him to do, be the chief executive.

No issues jrc, understood!

jrc 07-23-2012 07:01 PM

Think about what that says for our country. No matter how much disagreement there is between these two party's no one worries that the President's armed men are surrounding the opposition's leader. What an incredible country we live in.

wolfegirl 07-25-2012 05:25 PM

Wolfeboro Breakfast place

My favorite place for breakfast is the Downtown Grille (I think that's the name -- its where the old Hallmark store was), which hasn't been mentioned yet. In addition to great food, the view is awesome and the outside deck is seating option (maybe seasonal or weather dependent..).

The type of service is a little unusual; you place your order at the counter, take a numbered token and they find you when its ready.

Never been there on a weekend, however, so can't speak to lines or crowds.

tis 07-25-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfegirl (Post 187498)
My favorite place for breakfast is the Downtown Grille (I think that's the name -- its where the old Hallmark store was), which hasn't been mentioned yet. In addition to great food, the view is awesome and the outside deck is seating option (maybe seasonal or weather dependent..).

The type of service is a little unusual; you place your order at the counter, take a numbered token and they find you when its ready.

Never been there on a weekend, however, so can't speak to lines or crowds.

Everybody likes that place, wolfegirl but you are a little off on location. The Hallmark store is still there, Downtown Grille is next door. I only say this because I wouldn't want someone to think the Hallmark store is gone. Businesses are struggling enough these days.