Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Good Eats, Cheap Eats (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7041)

jetskier 11-28-2008 07:48 PM

Good Eats, Cheap Eats

I figured in these economic times most folks are paying more attention to value dining. Toward that end, I thought that a thread on the topic would be useful. To start things off, here are a couple of my current favorites:

Hong Kong Buffet:

Belmont, NH next to the Belknap Mall

They have a lunch and dinner buffet for approximately $6/person lunch and $10/person dinner. I believe that you can also take out for $10/container.

The food is plentiful and good quality. Cost is about $10/person for dinner.

Panama Bill's

Laconia, NH on Union Avenue

They have very good southern style BBQ. The portions are extremely generous. For approximately $10/person you can have dinner with lots of left overs.

OK...hopefully, others will post their favorites and the approximate cost of dining. Please, nothing about McDonalds :D

Jetskier:cool:

Irish mist 11-29-2008 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetskier (Post 85233)
I figured in these economic times most folks are paying more attention to value dining. Toward that end, I thought that a thread on the topic would be useful. To start things off, here are a couple of my current favorites:

Hong Kong Buffet:

Belmont, NH next to the Belknap Mall

They have a lunch and dinner buffet for approximately $6/person lunch and $10/person dinner. I believe that you can also take out for $10/container.

The food is plentiful and good quality. Cost is about $10/person for dinner.

Panama Bill's

Laconia, NH on Union Avenue

They have very good southern style BBQ. The portions are extremely generous. For approximately $10/person you can have dinner with lots of left overs.

OK...hopefully, others will post their favorites and the approximate cost of dining. Please, nothing about McDonalds :D

Ok......no McDonalds, but Wendy's has a senior citizens discout of 10% for those over 65 which they don't post for some reason. I drag out a parent when I want an even cheaper burger:)
________
F1 641

angela4design 11-29-2008 12:40 PM

Jon's Roast Beef!

When I don't have time to throw lunch together, I visit Jon's Roast Beef! A sandwich with chips and pickle is $5.35 with tax. Wholesome, yummy and call ahead quick! Thumbs up!

Glendale Girl 11-30-2008 08:36 AM

Christmas Island

On wednesdays they have wing night, But in Thursday nights they have 5-6 specials for 5 dollars...It changes each week but some are shepards pie..american chop suey...etc..not a bad deal but the best is get a dinner off the menu and your second one is 5 bucks...hubby and me got crab legs and paid 5 bucks for prime rib......:D

SteveA 11-30-2008 08:19 PM

I'll add..

Second both Hong Kong Buffet and Jon's.

We also like the $5.00 foot long subs at Quiznous (sp) at the Belknap Mall. Nice people and love the little "side bar" that lets you add all the horseradish and hot peppers you want.

fatlazyless 12-01-2008 07:01 AM

The dollar menu at the Meredith McDonalds has seen some big changes. As of Saturday, it has gone from a dollar menu of about seven items down to just one item. The double cheeseburger now costs 1.19, but there's a new McDouble burger for 1.00 which has just one slice of cheese instead of two.

Hopefully, the 86 cent non-advertised Paul Newman's, 14oz 'senior coffee' will remain the secret special for 55 year olds. Picture ID or certified birth certificate required! It's good coffee!

Whatever happened to the 35 cent coffee?:) Someone from Sandwich said it still lives at the Village Kitchen in M-Boro?

SIKSUKR 12-01-2008 08:54 AM

No McD's?How about BK?Had 2 Jr whoppers loaded the other day for $2.16.

Paugus Bay Lake Girl 12-01-2008 10:57 PM

Jon's Roast Beef

Jon's Roast Beef is just OK. I wish they would invest in a grill. Love a toasted bulkie roll and heated roast beef with melted cheese.

Something about a cold roast beef sandwich... yuck.

I am sticking to Waldo Peppers for sandwiches.

Winnigirl83 12-03-2008 09:28 AM

I've never been to Waldo Pepper's so I can't give an opinion, but I hear their pizza is really good. Can anyone verify?

Breakfast/Lunch:
Jon's Roast Beef OK, but it's such a pain to get in and out of there.
If I'm in the mood for a beer to go with my burger, the Mug in Center Harbor is pretty good (and they have a lunch club - buy 10 get one free).
The Sunrise Cafe is still my favorite place for breakfast, and their lunch is pretty good and very reasonable.
Donna Jean's is good, but I find it a tad overpriced.

Dinner:
Right now you can find some great bargains.
Fratello's is a HUGE favorite of mine and their mid-week specials are great.
Mame's has a coupon in the paper for a buy one get one meal (though their food can be very hit or miss).
The Brickfront has pretty good food and their prices are very reasonable (but I find their service isn't that good) - they have great early bird specials.

Take-out:
China Bistro
Louie's Famous Pizza

jetskier 12-03-2008 12:52 PM

Agreed

The pizza at Waldo's is very good; I have had it a few times. Most folks go there for the lobster rolls, but they have a large menu.

kayakn 12-03-2008 05:20 PM

Agree with Winnigirl83

Sunrise Cafe is my favorite for breakfast. ;) Their lunches are good, too.

sa meredith 12-03-2008 05:43 PM

Sort of agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paugus Bay Lake Girl (Post 85361)

Jon's Roast Beef is just OK. I wish they would invest in a grill. Love a toasted bulkie roll and heated roast beef with melted cheese.

Something about a cold roast beef sandwich... yuck.

I am sticking to Waldo Peppers for sandwiches.

I went there (Jon's) for lunch this past summer, based on reviews from this forum. (By the way, the place is indeed a bit tricky to drive out of. Quite the blind turn there).
While it was probably good, I was expecting to bite into something similar to what you get at Harrison's or the old Reilly's (for those of you with ties to the Merrimack Valley....(Andover, Lawrence, Methuen, North Andover). So the cold Roast Beef, and cold BBQ sauce really caught me by surprise, and I could not warm up to it. I guess after eating RB at Harrison's (in North Andover) the standard has been set. I would say this however...the service by the two woman who were working that day was second to none! Friendly, patient, big smiles, just real quick to offer a hand. Top notch.

Paugus Bay Lake Girl 12-04-2008 03:25 AM

Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches

Let's not forget the Beefside on Manchester Street in Concord. It's the closest to Harrison's, Riley's or let's not forget Kelly's Roast Beef.

They all make a great Roast Beef Sandwich and fried onion rings.... Those memories of going for bite after midnight.

Waterbaby 12-04-2008 07:08 AM

Half-Price Gift Certificates for Wolfe's Tavern

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winnigirl83 (Post 85413)

Dinner:
Right now you can find some great bargains.
Fratello's is a HUGE favorite of mine and their mid-week specials are great.
Mame's has a coupon in the paper for a buy one get one meal (though their food can be very hit or miss).
The Brickfront has pretty good food and their prices are very reasonable (but I find their service isn't that good) - they have great early bird specials.

On Fridays, WOKQ has a "Buyer's Club" (or something like that) where you can get a $50 gift certificate for $25. This week it's for Wolfe Tavern at the Wolfeboro Inn -- go to WOKQ.com, starts at 8:30 AM. Takes about 3 weeks to get the certificate, you need a charge card.

I know there's another dining website somewhere (Lyon's Den participates) where you can get 1/2 price certificates also.......... I've seen it mentioned here but don't have time to go looking for it right now. Anyone know what it is? Maybe go on LD website and they have a link?

Have fun!

riverat 12-04-2008 09:16 AM

http://www.theidealmeal.com/index.asp

Lakepilot 12-04-2008 12:23 PM

Love the Roast Beef at Harrisons. They worked their butts off at that place! Too bad we never get down there anymore.:(

mcdude 12-05-2008 11:52 AM

Dining Discounts

Follow the link below for discounted coupons for Kevin's Cafe, Hart's Turkey Farm, Crazy Gringo, Patrick's Pub and more....

https://store.concordmonitor.com/index.php/coupons?p=1

Little Bear 12-05-2008 02:01 PM

Another source for discount coupons

http://dollarsavershow.com/Default.aspx?station_id=17

They usually have some good deals on dining coupons.

wifi 12-05-2008 04:10 PM

Went to Jon's Roast Beef today, had a cold RB on a wrap. Got their a little after noon, it was busy, but not crowded. Got it to go, great service, someone even came out of the kitchen to deliver it to me personally as opposed to yelling from the counter. errr, by the way, "thank you"..

There was hand written signs up that you could get the RB cold or heated if you want. So maybe someone is listening to people here about warm food?

fatlazyless 12-05-2008 08:06 PM

John's Roast Beef...never tried that...isn't that on route 25 M-Boro, just east of Lake Kanasatka, in the gas station that used to be Fred Fuller's?

wifi 12-05-2008 08:12 PM

Its in McIntires Circle, Laconia/Gilford line

C Tucker 12-06-2008 09:52 PM

Rob & Linda's - Rte 25 in Moultonborough

Rob and Linda's Roast Beef and Pizza is at the old Fuller's Station by the turn for Redding Lane. I am not a fan of Roast Beef sandwiches (I like mine well done) but my boyfriend really likes them. We also like their pizza when I don't make it myself. They will make the crust extra crispy per our request. Our problem with Taste of Tuscany in Moultonboro was undercooked crust - to the point of raw. Never gave them another try.

dpg 12-11-2008 07:27 AM

"The pizza at Waldo's is very good; I have had it a few times. Most folks go there for the lobster rolls, but they have a large menu.

Jetskier "

Been to Waldos 2 or 3 times the past year, their good that's all in my opinion. For all the attention they get on this forum (and it is alot) they don't quite measure up. Of course that's just my humble opinion yours will vary. :rolleye2:

Irish mist 12-11-2008 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironhorsetim (Post 85791)
Across from Funspot you'll find a little bar that has great food and is very reasonably priced everything is fresh and made to order check out their website for a menu and prices www.looneybinbar.com :liplick:

I deleted this post by request because I've received conflicting information about this place. Since I don't know who is right there is no reason to leave the post up. Sorry about this. I'll eat some crow here:) It's always a good thing to take any of these posting with a grain of salt. It's just personal opinions.
________
Comparison Of Toyota Hybrids Specifications

redc5 12-12-2008 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish mist (Post 85806)
Lol, this is the local "Hell's Angels" bar as you can see when you check out the "peep show" section of their web-site. Nothing wrong with that:) but some folks might want to know that before they walk in there.

maybe I'm missing something, but I dont see anybody wearing HA clothing or tattoo's, or any sign of the Angles. I see a lot of drunk people and bikers though. I'm OK with that.

I dont see any food being eaten either ...