Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Trader Joe's and Michaels??? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13898)

Alton Bay 04-17-2012 06:34 PM

Trader Joe's and Michaels???

Not sure where else to go to ask these questions because the folks who post here seem to be pretty well informed!
Wondering if anyone knows any more about Michael's coming to Gilford and who might know when we'll see Trader Joe's open its doors.

no-engine 04-17-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alton Bay (Post 180192)
Not sure where else to go to ask these questions because the folks who post here seem to be pretty well informed!
Wondering if anyone knows any more about Michael's coming to Gilford and who might know when we'll see Trader Joe's open its doors.

Where is MIchaels going in?

What happened to shopping local? There are local frame shops and art supplies.

Who says Trader Joe's to Lakes Region? I have not been to their website for a while, but did NOT see a New Hampshire site. When we are in southern part of State, we often go to Tyngsboro site. And sometimes to one in Cambridge.

patman 04-17-2012 08:14 PM

There's supposedly a Trader Joe's going in a couple of doors down from Kohl's in Newington, where the Pet Quarters (?) used to be. I drove by there a few days ago, and there was absolutely no sign of anything happening yet, so it's not looking like it's going to be opening any time soon.

http://portsmouth-nh.patch.com/artic...g-to-newington

Not Michael's but...there is a JoAnn Fabrics opening in the Lowe's plaza at exit 13 of rt 16 in Rochester.

Argie's Wife 04-17-2012 09:42 PM

Trader Joe's is opening in the Fall 2012, per an article in the Union Leader.

Alton Bay 04-18-2012 07:00 AM

I had heard Michaels was going in to the old Hannaford building in Gilford...Maybe it was only a rumor.

Will look forward to Trader Joe's visits in the fall!

no-engine 04-18-2012 07:27 AM

Why is there so much speculation?

Would people really drive from lakes region to Newington for the chain of Michaels? Shop local

As much as we like Trader Joe's, would one drive 40 miles?

Yes, I am using caps, to indicate a stronger voice.

Barbara 04-18-2012 12:07 PM

I already drive to either Portsmouth or Tilton to go to BJ's. If the drive is to Tilton, I make it a day long affair with stops at Kohl's, Loews or Home Depot, a few outlet stores and a grocery shopping trip to Market Basket. A drive to Portsmouth and BJ's usually includes stops at other stores in Newington, sometimes a movie and a meal out. Once Trader Joe's opens it will be one of the stops. I never make those trips for just one store.

AB_Monterey 04-18-2012 12:25 PM

We usually hit Trader Joe's on Memorial Dr. when we go in for a Sox game. Heck, we've actually parked there and walked the mile to the park to avoid getting taken over the coals on parking on those getaway day games. Having one up here would be a nice option during the non-baseball season months when we're not in the city 2-3 times a month.

Lake Shore CT 04-18-2012 03:15 PM

Trader Joe's

Just as another point of information, Trader Joe's is also coming soon to Nashua, 262 Daniel Webster Highway, for those that might be going that way.

no-engine 04-18-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lake Shore CT (Post 180252)
Just as another point of information, Trader Joe's is also coming soon to Nashua, 262 Daniel Webster Highway, for those that might be going that way.

They must be moving to larger space in Nashua, as they are only 100 yards from NH border now. Tyngsboro.

Barbara, you do not identify where you are driving from.
I also am one to make multiple errands in one drive.
I did not, but when I refer to BJ's, I am less than 20 miles north of Tilton, a true Lakes Region resident.

Argie's Wife 04-18-2012 06:15 PM

no-engine - I get your point about shopping local, but there's a few speciality items that TJ's has that I've never been able to find anywhere else and I'm very (very!) partial to some of those items. If there was local equivalent, I'd be glad to get it. As much as I love to do business close to home, there are some things that just can't be found here in Alton or the LR. In the meantime, I frequent Fiddleheads, Hannafords, Market Basket, Sunflowers (Laconia), etc.

Alton Bay 04-18-2012 06:28 PM

I would certainly make trip to Trader Joe's from Alton. It's no further than going to Concord and I do that often.

I'd rather see the old Hannaford with a Michael's in it than just watch it sit vacant with brown paper all over the windows. A business like Michaels offers the opportunity for more year round jobs in the Lakes Region and I know of few local businesses that offer the crafting stuff and cheap frames other than Walmart and we know that is not going anywhere.

Rattlesnake Guy 04-18-2012 06:47 PM

Trader Joe's is my new goto frozen mac and cheese. Good enough to pass for home made between batches of RG's. Just right for a chilly day at the camp.

Yes Tyngsboro is moving to Nashua.

no-engine 04-18-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argie's Wife (Post 180271)
no-engine - I get your point about shopping local, but there's a few speciality items that TJ's has that I've never been able to find anywhere else and I'm very (very!) partial to some of those items. If there was local equivalent, I'd be glad to get it. As much as I love to do business close to home, there are some things that just can't be found here in Alton or the LR. In the meantime, I frequent Fiddleheads, Hannafords, Market Basket, Sunflowers (Laconia), etc.

For sure, I well understand Trader Joe's, b/c I go there when we visit relatives in Brookline, NH, west of Hollis, west of Nashua. And returning from other reasons in eastern MA, almost always stop at TJ's. We have relatives in Somerville, MA and have stopped at TJ on Memorial Drive and/or Fresh Pond area Cambridge, which is across street from Whole Foods, another great market!

What my intent was really about stores like Michaels, there being art & frame shops in local Lakes Region, and I realize Michaels has more than merely framing.... Since people drive to Concord from northern areas of Lake, a branch in Gilford will please them.