Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Wolfeboro NY Times Story (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14553)

wolfegirl 07-27-2012 04:13 PM

Wolfeboro NY Times Story

I always find visitors (or 'outsiders') takes on places I know well interesting. The story in the NY Times today is about Wolfeboro. Many pictures too.

Vacationing Like a Candidate

The website allows 10 articles free/month or unlimited if you get the paper delivered.

Rusty 07-27-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfegirl (Post 187690)
I always find visitors (or 'outsiders') takes on places I know well interesting. The story in the NY Times today is about Wolfeboro. Many pictures too.

Vacationing Like a Candidate

The website allows 10 articles free/month or unlimited if you get the paper delivered.

He said: “The town of Wolfeboro (population 6,269), where Mr. Romney has his home, calls itself “the oldest resort in America,” and it is a living tribute to the word “adorable.”

Actually Wolfeboro calls itself “the Oldest Summer Resort in America”.

Another thing that He said is: “I dared only 45 m.p.h. of the vehicle’s possible 55.”

He didn’t say because there is a speed limit, he just said he didn’t dare. Evidently he doesn't know that there is a speed limit on the lake.

Other then that it was a good article.

barefootbay 07-27-2012 05:04 PM

Snarky !!!!

Convertible Girl 07-27-2012 07:09 PM

It made me laugh

What can I say it made me laugh after reading very depressing economic news.

Jonas Pilot 07-27-2012 07:12 PM

I like snarky!!!

Heaven 07-27-2012 08:10 PM

Terrible writing. Terrible pictures.

kauriel 07-27-2012 10:55 PM

My question is where are the fried oreos available? Tower Hill Tavern?

Rusty 07-28-2012 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kauriel (Post 187712)
My question is where are the fried oreos available? Tower Hill Tavern?

My question is where does the Cotton Valley Rail Trail go through the middle of a Lake...and what lake is it? I know it goes along the shore of two Lakes and a swampy area but not through the middle of a Lake.
The part of the trail "that’s been filled in with dirt" is only @6 miles long and that is where most people bike. So she probably biked a total of 11-12 miles up and back. The cleared bike path is not 11 miles long.

This is what he said:

"I rented a bike at the Nordic Skier and rode Wolfeboro’s terrific 11-mile-long Cotton Valley Rail Trail bike path while checking my e-mail. The trail is mostly a disused train track that’s been filled in with dirt; it runs through backyards, forest and, most excitingly, the middle of a lake."

winnitru 07-28-2012 08:43 AM

Nyt

Thanks for posting wolfegirl. I found Mr. Alford's piece to be dripping in elitist
condescension. All the better if it keeps his ilk from the lake.

Grey Goose 07-28-2012 10:53 AM

I was curious

I've been looking for a safe place (no cars) to go riding with the kids so this post sparked my curiosity. I just looked on google maps and it looks like the trail has two causeways that run over a part of Crescent Lake and Lake Wentworth. Looks fun. How well maintained is the trail? Kids range from 10-16 yrs old. Anybody ride it that can give a review? Thanks!

I enjoyed the article. It was entertaining and put a smile on my face. Just love Wolfeboro.

Rattlesnake Gal 07-28-2012 11:07 AM

Cotton Valley Trail

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Goose (Post 187741)
I've been looking for a safe place (no cars) to go riding with the kids so this post sparked my curiosity. I just looked on google maps and it looks like the trail has two causeways that run over a part of Crescent Lake and Lake Wentworth. Looks fun. How well maintained is the trail? Kids range from 10-16 yrs old. Anybody ride it that can give a review? Thanks!

I enjoyed the article. It was entertaining and put a smile on my face. Just love Wolfeboro.

We walked a good portion and absolutely loved it! There were other walkers, joggers and plenty of bike riders. I highly reccommend you and your family try it.

Rusty 07-28-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Goose (Post 187741)

You will absolutely love biking or walking the Cotton Valley Rail Trail. The trail is well maintained and has compacted stone dust on top that makes it easy to walk or bike on. Along the way you can stop at Albee Beach and take a swim.
I suggest that you park your vehicle at Depot St in wolfeboro and then get on the trail there.
Don't forget to shop or eat in wolfeboro before or after your adventure. You’ll find a myriad of shops, art galleries and museums, as well as a tempting array of restaurants, bed and breakfasts and inns.

Grey Goose 07-28-2012 04:26 PM

Thanks for the reviews Rattlesnake Gal and Rusty. Will definately take the kids there this week!

tis 07-28-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winnitru (Post 187734)
Thanks for posting wolfegirl. I found Mr. Alford's piece to be dripping in elitist
condescension. All the better if it keeps his ilk from the lake.

I love that description. It's exactly what it was if you took it that way! It's funny, my daughter got exactly the same thing you did from it. I didn't take it quite so badly, I guess I chose to think he was trying to be humorous rather than elitist.

barefootbay 07-28-2012 05:32 PM

An on going effort by the NY Times to paint Mitt as an elitist.

secondcurve 07-28-2012 06:02 PM

Tough Crowd

I thought the article was well wrritten and informative. Thanks for the post.