Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Loud aircraft last night? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29299)

bobkatfly 01-19-2024 10:32 AM

Loud aircraft last night?

Anyone hear that loud deep sound last night between 7 and 8PM? I'm in the Winter Harbor area and it was a very loud deep rumble that went on for at least 2 minutes before it slowly started to dissipate. A lot longer than most aircraft. Looking up I couldn't see anything even though it was somewhat clear.

camp guy 01-19-2024 10:48 AM

Loud aircraft last night

Yes, my wife and I heard it about that time. We live on Forest Rd, and it seemed to be coming from (generally) south to north. Very strange.

bobkatfly 01-19-2024 10:57 AM

Yeah, it did seem to dissipate toward North. Hard to tell sometimes with acoustics. Also, it sounded more prop driven than jet.

Triboro 01-19-2024 11:07 AM

Loud aircraft

We heard it too on Varney Road. It was a very long rumble

codeman671 01-19-2024 11:18 AM

Something came right over the house, very loud and low. Near Ames Farm.

skibumpsu 01-19-2024 02:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Head that in gilford it was a Boeing KC-46A Pegasus. I use this great app called flighttradar24 .

Attachment 18373

ITD 01-19-2024 03:04 PM

The sound of freedom. Pretty sure there were some fighter jets up there too, they don't show up on Flight radar. We are on the edge of a Military Operations area.

bobkatfly 01-19-2024 03:19 PM

Tried the app but didn't see that particular flight last night. Are military flights a limitation of the free version?

The Real BigGuy 01-21-2024 02:00 PM

Not all. Only ones that have turned off their identification (I forget the exact terminology) while it is on “private” operations.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

P-3 Guy 01-21-2024 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy (Post 390659)
Not all. Only ones that have turned off their identification (I forget the exact terminology) while it is on “private” operations.

Transponder.

The Real BigGuy 01-21-2024 06:32 PM

Bingo!

ApS 01-22-2024 08:19 AM

"IFF" Developed During WWII...

Quote:

Originally Posted by P-3 Guy (Post 390660)
Transponder.

"IFF"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iden..._friend_or_foe

P-3 Guy 01-22-2024 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 390666)

IFF is an encrypted system that would not be utilized by or available to any civilian application that tracks aircraft movement.

Descant 01-22-2024 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P-3 Guy (Post 390670)
IFF is an encrypted system that would not be utilized by or available to any civilian application that tracks aircraft movement

Thanks for the clarification and your service. Few people really understand the capabilities of the P-3 Navy, operating independently, perhaps 100's of miles at sea, away from any support. On the other hand, operating out of NHZ, it was not unheard of for the crew to serve Maine lobster on board. (XP3NFO).

P-3 Guy 01-22-2024 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 390672)
Thanks for the clarification and your service. Few people really understand the capabilities of the P-3 Navy, operating independently, perhaps 100's of miles at sea, away from any support. On the other hand, operating out of NHZ, it was not unheard of for the crew to serve Maine lobster on board. (XP3NFO).

Thanks Descant for your service as well. I never consumed lobster on a P-3, but on one of the crews I was a part of the lead acoustic operator enjoyed cooking in the galley and would prepare a full breakfast for everyone on early morning flights. Now that was a treat!

geordie 01-22-2024 11:08 PM

ADS-B Unfiltered

If you want to know what is round you right now try an ADS-B app like ADS-B Unfiltered. The common tracking apps like FlightRadar24 and Flightaware delay the data several minutes and don't show all traffic. ADS-B (Autonomous Dependent Surveillance - Broadcast) is directly transmitted by the aircraft and is available for anyone to receive. Ground stations forward the information. You can also receive it directly yourself with a cheap software defined radio and some software. I live near Pease and often fire it up to see what they are up to. Military aircraft frequently don't give all details, but civil aircraft will even tell you what autopilot mode they are in.

ApS 02-02-2024 03:32 AM

Overflights Could Be Worse...

Military jets over a lake--YT "Shorts":

https://youtube.com/shorts/j9nFu5LWT...SDGvY4e3_s9odE

:eek2:

Skippermark 02-08-2024 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geordie (Post 390679)
If you want to know what is round you right now try an ADS-B app like ADS-B Unfiltered. The common tracking apps like FlightRadar24 and Flightaware delay the data several minutes and don't show all traffic. ADS-B (Autonomous Dependent Surveillance - Broadcast) is directly transmitted by the aircraft and is available for anyone to receive. Ground stations forward the information. You can also receive it directly yourself with a cheap software defined radio and some software. I live near Pease and often fire it up to see what they are up to. Military aircraft frequently don't give all details, but civil aircraft will even tell you what autopilot mode they are in.

I'm familiar with the LADD program but don't fully understand PIA. I know ADS-B receivers will still pick up the signal, but the transmitted code is temporary, so there's no way to know what plane it really belongs to, right? Am I understanding that correctly?

geordie 02-16-2024 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skippermark (Post 391095)
I'm familiar with the LADD program but don't fully understand PIA. I know ADS-B receivers will still pick up the signal, but the transmitted code is temporary, so there's no way to know what plane it really belongs to, right? Am I understanding that correctly?

Right, PIA allows them to get temporary IDs that aren't associated with them. But the military isn't doing that. I don't know what controls they have on a military ADS-B transceiver. What I see is that sometimes you can see the autopilot mode and a lot of other live data. Other times you only get basic information.

LADD only works when the FAA is the source, if you look at ADS-B data that was captured by random people with cheap receivers and an Internet connection you bypass the FAA entirely.

So LADD is useless. Anyone who really wanted to could probably spot the privacy ICAO address too, because it wouldn't come back to a credible aircraft history. The only time they'd provide real uncertainty would be when several aircraft on the PIA program were in the same place at the same time. Musk has been tracked despite his best efforts.