Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   MP Just Blew By Us--Crazy Skilled Driving (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19759)

thinkxingu 08-30-2015 04:04 PM

MP Just Blew By Us--Crazy Skilled Driving

Just came from Hanson Cove or Greene's Basin at seemingly full throttle through the channel off Bryant's Point (what's the channel called?) with crazy precision--driver must know the lake incredibly well to drive like that!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

wifi 08-30-2015 04:58 PM

I doubt he has much to worry about in getting a ticket

thinkxingu 08-30-2015 05:28 PM

Anyone know what happened?

Greene's Basin Girl 08-30-2015 09:29 PM

I saw him leave Green's Basin at that time. We were headed into the basin and he was headed out. He was going slow at that moment through the NWZ.

Dave R 08-31-2015 06:30 AM

Where is Bryant's Point?

SIKSUKR 08-31-2015 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave R (Post 250900)
Where is Bryant's Point?

It is the choke point by Lees Mill.

Greene's Basin Girl 08-31-2015 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave R (Post 250900)
Where is Bryant's Point?

It is right by numbered light buoy 52

Dave R 08-31-2015 12:15 PM

Thanks. Is that a spot where one has to be at no wake? The "island" there is within 150 feet of the red topped spars, but it's really just a pile of rocks. I've observed that most people go through there at speed.

Rattlesnake Gal 08-31-2015 12:39 PM

Bryant's Pt.

1 Attachment(s)
Bryant's Point. I haven't been up that way enough to know.

Lakegeezer 08-31-2015 01:22 PM

Name that area?

What is that area called between Bryant's point and the entrance to Greens Basin? Perhaps Badger Bay?

Dave R 08-31-2015 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave R (Post 250925)
Thanks. Is that a spot where one has to be at no wake? The "island" there is within 150 feet of the red topped spars, but it's really just a pile of rocks. I've observed that most people go through there at speed.

When I wrote that, I thought it was the spot by FL51, not 52. Now that someone posted the chart screen shot, I know FL52 is a NWZ.

Descant 08-31-2015 07:55 PM

Whaaaat?

What is the purpose of this thread? You've never been passed by a cop? If they don't need it, they may go in a hurry without lights and sirens.

thinkxingu 08-31-2015 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 250947)
What is the purpose of this thread? You've never been passed by a cop? If they don't need it, they may go in a hurry without lights and sirens.

It was a comment on either the MP's knowledge of Winni or driving skills that allowed him to do what we saw--was very impressed and, in a way, increase my appreciation for what they do.

Dave R 08-31-2015 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 250947)
What is the purpose of this thread?

I think it was to start a friendly conversation.

TiltonBB 09-01-2015 05:25 AM

Tough area

I have taken the ride to Green's Basin about 5 times over the last 20 years. For the first 20 years I was on the lake I didn't know it existed. After noticing it on the chart I went for a look.

Each time I have gone there the chart is in one hand and the wheel in the other. I find it to be the most challenging area of the lake to navigate. To me, that area feels like a different lake.

If a Marine Patrol Officer got a call and had a need to hurry somewhere, and is capable of safely doing so, more power to him!

Dave R 09-01-2015 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 250958)
I have taken the ride to Green's Basin about 5 times over the last 20 years. For the first 20 years I was on the lake I didn't know it existed. After noticing it on the chart I went for a look.

Each time I have gone there the chart is in one hand and the wheel in the other. I find it to be the most challenging area of the lake to navigate. To me, that area feels like a different lake.

If a Marine Patrol Officer got a call and had a need to hurry somewhere, and is capable of safely doing so, more power to him!

I go up there at least once a year, I think it's lovely and you are absolutely spot-on about it being like a different lake. That said, I think everything on the north side of Cow, Little Bear, and Long Islands; and Moultonboro Neck, is like a different lake.

Buzzell Cove is another interesting one to see, it feels like a little pond in there.

I don't find Green's Basin all that tough to navigate, but the channels sure can get narrow... I think the area around 9 Acre, Dow, Pistol and Whortleberry Isalnds is vastly more challenging. The way red tops and black tops swap sides (of the boat) as you twist and turn through that area is really crazy.

Killevippen 09-01-2015 10:42 PM

Agree this is a pretty aimless conversation....but with that said I (in kayak) and my son (on SUP) had just passed 52 bearing toward Evergreen when we heard the sirens. We thought it was a police car on the Neck. Then we saw the MP absolutely ripping through the channel - very fast, very aggressive, but clearly not his/her first pass through the channel. I assumed there had been an accident (pure speculation). A few mins later two boaters met near the channel. We overheard something about a wakeboarder....but again, who knows. I'm just glad we weren't in the channel or by 52 or it would have been quite dramatic.