Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Woodshed Closing?? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14284)

ishoot308 06-21-2012 12:17 PM

Woodshed Closing??

I see the Woodshed Restaurant is going up for auction on July 12th.

http://www.jsjauctions.com/details.a...Code=2012-1139

Are they still open now?? If so, use up your gift certificates!!

Dan

LIforrelaxin 06-21-2012 12:32 PM

Interesting......

They always appeared busy so I am surprised that they are having to auction the property off....

Well hopefully everyone with a gift certificate gets in soon...

Janet 06-21-2012 12:50 PM

Oh my...thought I had a wonderful idea this past Christmas for a present for my sister and husband so I bought a certificate. They won't be at the lake until July 28th. Oh well! If anyone hears of how to get a refund, please let us know. Thanks.:(

Newbiesaukee 06-21-2012 01:24 PM

We ate there last night. It was busy and we enjoyed the meal. Sorry to hear this.

secondcurve 06-22-2012 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin (Post 184649)
Interesting......

They always appeared busy so I am surprised that they are having to auction the property off....

Well hopefully everyone with a gift certificate gets in soon...

It is probably not a problem with the business but rather what they paid for it and how much debt they have outstanding. I'm fairly certain this business will survive in some form or fashion given its history and unique charm. It is just a question of who will own and run it in the future.

Shore Driver 06-22-2012 07:42 AM

secondcurve, I hope you're right!

Hermit Cover 06-22-2012 11:51 AM

Woodshed in the future....

Last night as I was informing Ms. HC of the auction we thought of all the likely restaurant buyers that would be able to purchase (at the right price) this type of restaurant and make it better and we both thought of Alex Ray and Common Man.....we eat in CM restaurants frequently and find them priceworthy, and usually quite full when we are there. There are probably the usual detractors when it comes to CM but how many of them have closed and gone to auction lately?

VitaBene 06-22-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermit Cover (Post 184739)
Last night as I was informing Ms. HC of the auction we thought of all the likely restaurant buyers that would be able to purchase (at the right price) this type of restaurant and make it better and we both thought of Alex Ray and Common Man.....we eat in CM restaurants frequently and find them priceworthy, and usually quite full when we are there. There are probably the usual detractors when it comes to CM but how many of them have closed and gone to auction lately?

It is certainly possible, but I hope that is not the case. The Common Man Group has become a chain of decent restaurants (I do eat there) that are well run and managed. I would hate to see the Woodshed kitchen work under the direction of a "corporate" executive chef.

I am sad, I live very close to the Woodshed and I eat there once and even twice a week typically. I like Kirk and Paige and think it is a great place.I have not talked with them yet but I also believe the Woodshed will survive mostly intact. They are busy- like everyone else, mid-week off season is tough. But weekends and all summer... slammed. I will be going in tonite and may be able to report more if they want me too.

Newbiesaukee 06-22-2012 04:55 PM

I won't swear by it, but I "heard" today it was not going to auction. Hope this is the case.

Billy Bob 06-23-2012 07:47 PM

A very nice looking and comfortable spot . But the service is inconsistent and the food has declined . Time for a change . Perhaps we will get new owners that can turn the place around.

beancover 06-25-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet (Post 184652)
Oh my...thought I had a wonderful idea this past Christmas for a present for my sister and husband so I bought a certificate. They won't be at the lake until July 28th. Oh well! If anyone hears of how to get a refund, please let us know. Thanks.:(

You could call them and find out.

SumoDog 06-25-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 184742)
It is certainly possible, but I hope that is not the case. The Common Man Group has become a chain of decent restaurants (I do eat there) that are well run and managed. I would hate to see the Woodshed kitchen work under the direction of a "corporate" executive chef.

I am sad, I live very close to the Woodshed and I eat there once and even twice a week typically. I like Kirk and Paige and think it is a great place.I have not talked with them yet but I also believe the Woodshed will survive mostly intact. They are busy- like everyone else, mid-week off season is tough. But weekends and all summer... slammed. I will be going in tonite and may be able to report more if they want me too.

Alex Ray - Corporate??? - guess you do not know Alex - to my knowledge Common Man Group is owned by Alex and he does not answer to shareholders looking to max profits and returns.

You are correct about the sadness portion - wish present owners all the luck in the world to pull thru and continue to run Woodshed the way Lynn and Bob used to

dragonfly03246 06-27-2012 07:25 AM

They are not closing...

From the restaurant manager:

Hi,
The Woodshed is not closing and there will be no auction on July 12th as the forum states. I appreciate your concern and your e-mail and look forward to seeing you in here soon enjoying yourself with us.

Paige Daniels
General Manager
The Woodshed Restaurant
128 Lee Rd.
Moultonboro, N.H.
603-476-2311

JDeere 06-27-2012 07:27 AM

Nailed it

Billy Bob, nailed it with his reply on the Woodshed.

dockmaster 06-27-2012 07:30 AM

Woodshed Closing

E-mailed the Woodshed the other day. They responded no aucton, no closing. ENJOY

Janet 06-27-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dockmaster (Post 185056)
E-mailed the Woodshed the other day. They responded no aucton, no closing. ENJOY

Great news, thanks!!

Mr. V 06-27-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dockmaster (Post 185056)

That may be what they said, but the auction site shows the auction is still "ON" as of June 27th.

Happy Gourmand 06-27-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 184648)
I see the Woodshed Restaurant is going up for auction on July 12th.

http://www.jsjauctions.com/details.a...Code=2012-1139

Are they still open now?? If so, use up your gift certificates!!

Dan

Dan said it first....use up those gift certificates. Better safe than sorry.

Just Sold 06-27-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 185073)
That may be what they said, but the auction site shows the auction is still "ON" as of June 27th.

The auction can be listed as still on but the auction can get cancelled any time up to the day of the auction. The only way you will know is to call the auctioneer or have registered with them and requested to be notified of any changes to the listed auction.

ishoot308 06-27-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Sold (Post 185081)
The auction can be listed as still on but the auction can get cancelled any time up to the day of the auction. The only way you will know is to call the auctioneer or have registered with them and requested to be notified of any changes to the listed auction.

If the financial obligation has been satisfied to the bank, the owner of the property can demand the auction listing be deleted. Strange this has not been done yet... I know if it was my property and I was up to date with my payments, I would not allow it to be listed for sale by auction....rather bad for business.

Dan

secondcurve 06-27-2012 05:22 PM

A downward spiral

What typically happens in these cases is the restaurant brings current its bank payment and forestalls the foreclosure proceedings than a month or two later it falls past due again and the foreclosure is back on. We saw this with the restaurant that was in the space the Bayside in Wolfeboro now occupies. Once the spiral begins it almost never is stopped. My guess is the Woodshed has new owners by the springtime.

tis 06-27-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondcurve (Post 185110)
What typically happens in these cases is the restaurant brings current its bank payment and forestalls the foreclosure proceedings than a month or two later it falls past due again and the foreclosure is back on. We saw this with the restaurant that was in the space the Bayside in Wolfeboro now occupies. Once the spiral begins it almost never is stopped. My guess is the Woodshed has new owners by the springtime.

THat is true. That is what I have generally seen happen too.

VitaBene 06-27-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumoDog (Post 184949)
Alex Ray - Corporate??? - guess you do not know Alex - to my knowledge Common Man Group is owned by Alex and he does not answer to shareholders looking to max profits and returns.

You are correct about the sadness portion - wish present owners all the luck in the world to pull thru and continue to run Woodshed the way Lynn and Bob used to

The Common Man group is a corporation that owns numerous restaurants. They do not have an executive chef in each location, they rely on corporate chefs and well trained cooks. It is common when you get chainy- look at Legal Seafoods. It is not necessarily a bad thing, I just would like to see the Woodshed remain an independent restaurant. If I want to go to the Common Man, I can go to Ashland, Concord or one of the other 16 CM locations (and I do on occasion).

Jonas Pilot 06-28-2012 07:25 AM

Well said.

Well said VB.

Hermit Cover 06-28-2012 01:13 PM

Good Food...

In the case of any restaurant "good food" is the key word. If corporate chefs and care taken to prepare well-trained cooks yields good food....they will come and they will come back. If the food is generally "less than good" and the service is poorly trained and managed any restaurant will fail.

Emeril Lagasse does't cook in every one of his restaurants but his restaurants are highly rated because the service is very well-trained and the food is top quality when it is delivered to the back door and is prepared by chefs and cooks that are trained by the master chef.

The "corporate" in Common Man isn't bad if it yields steady good service and good food. I hope the Woodshed catches on to some sort of success formula in its next life.....:liplick:

secondcurve 06-28-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 185133)
The Common Man group is a corporation that owns numerous restaurants. They do not have an executive chef in each location, they rely on corporate chefs and well trained cooks. It is common when you get chainy- look at Legal Seafoods. It is not necessarily a bad thing, I just would like to see the Woodshed remain an independent restaurant. If I want to go to the Common Man, I can go to Ashland, Concord or one of the other 16 CM locations (and I do on occasion).

Legals and the Common Man may be chains but their food, service and consistencey are excellent. The Woodshed, historically a wonderful choice, appears to be struggling with quality and consistency. Given the recent foreclosure activity the picture is starting to come into focus. While I like a unique independent restaurant as much as the next guy, having one of these well run "chains" operate in the Woodshed building would likely be an excellent outcome. In my opinion, it is the unique building and location of the Woodshed that define the dining experience, not whether the restaurant is owned by an individual or a "chain".

Jonas Pilot 06-28-2012 06:37 PM

I think it would make a great McDonalds. When is enough sameness enough?

Hermit Cover 06-28-2012 08:21 PM

McDonalds...Five Guys...Friendly's

I agree Jonas Pilot...these all offer sameness and consistency. I think it would be a shame to let a remote location and great physical plant with lots of ambience go the route of so many others...new ownership and a poorly-capitalized slide into mediocrity. You've been around the restaurants in the Lakes Region long enough obviously to have seen them come and go. It's easy to be ordinary...but hard to stay open.

Old Hubbard Rd 06-28-2012 09:28 PM

Dinner at Woodshed

I was at the Woodshed for dinner tonight. It was a s great as it always has been!! I did not ask the staff about any closing etc.

laketrout 06-28-2012 11:53 PM

I guess I shouldnt 2nd guess buttt... Another victim of the CRAP economy. In 2005 I could not get a seat in Wolfboro or Merdith, late week, now I can stroll in and get seat in any restaurant in the area sans-- Saturday nite... Even Saturday nite is not that bad..
I promised myself I would not turn his into a political discourse.

George

Hermit Cover 06-29-2012 04:19 PM

C%#* Economy?

According to the NRA...that's the National Restaurant Assoc.... the past 12 months have seen a general rise in restaurant attendance and they brag about adding at least 500,000 summer jobs in 2012. One of the better years...

The fastest growing restaurant chain, Five Guys, now has more than 1000 outlets in 40 states and Canada a few short years.... Not interested in fast food?

Ok, sit down restaurants with waiters saw an uptick of 8.7 per cent this year over last. The economy....perhaps is not the problem and sticking the economy with the problem may not be the answer. How about the food served and the service? That's not at all political...

Look back at the historical posts for each failing restaurant and you will probably see the real reasons.

BernerGuy 06-29-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondcurve (Post 185206)
Legals and the Common Man may be chains but their food, service and consistencey are excellent. The Woodshed, historically a wonderful choice, appears to be struggling with quality and consistency. Given the recent foreclosure activity the picture is starting to come into focus. While I like a unique independent restaurant as much as the next guy, having one of these well run "chains" operate in the Woodshed building would likely be an excellent outcome. In my opinion, it is the unique building and location of the Woodshed that define the dining experience, not whether the restaurant is owned by an individual or a "chain".

I have to disagree with referring to Common Man restaurants as having food, service, and consistency at the level of excellent. I have found one or two good and the rest okay. I have yet to have a meal at the rte 104 diner that did not come out of the microwave, and service has been good and awful, never excellent. I will keep trying though. I guess microwaving everything would be consistent, but I'm thinking it is not what you meant. I would rather see another O's or Canoe go in there, but I would be happy with a resurgence of the Woodshed as well. If I had the money and a death wish, I'd open a second restaurant up herebut let's leave that to the sadists. Hoping for good news for the Woodshed.

Mr. V 06-29-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BernerGuy (Post 185273)
If I had the money and a death wish, I'd open a second restaurant up herebut let's leave that to the sadists.

I think you meant "masochists."

Sadists run China Garden.

Old Hubbard Rd 07-01-2012 07:33 AM

On a mission to keep them open!!

Went to dinner here 2 nights in a row (Friday & Sat PM) !! I love the Woodshed. I love the atmospere. The food and service is always great too!! Very friendly staff. I hope they make it!! As you can see I am doing my part!!

jeffatsquam 07-12-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 185073)

No auction so far today

Summertm 07-12-2012 12:16 PM

Woodshed Closing

Sold at auction to the highest bidder!!!!

meredith weekender 07-12-2012 12:24 PM

Was definitely sold this a.m., maybe a family member bought it back??? Could be like the happenings over in Laconia??? Lets wait and see.

ishoot308 07-12-2012 12:25 PM

Who??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summertm (Post 186182)
Sold at auction to the highest bidder!!!!

Any idea who that was??

Summertm 07-12-2012 12:57 PM

Woodshed Closing

His name is Matt, he worked for the original owners. He has a restaurant in Portland. He plans on bringing back the original Woodshed.:)

dutchie4 07-12-2012 01:20 PM

Word is that Kird and Paige are staying on and running the restaurant until Labor Day.

dutchie4 07-12-2012 01:22 PM

Ooops! I meant Kirk and Paige!

secondcurve 07-12-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 186185)
Any idea who that was??

Or what they paid?

It isn't surprising that it was sold. Lots of folks have incurred too much debt and are now unable to service that debt. As I said in an earlier post, there likely would be new ownership in the not too distant future. It was a little quicker than even I thought but once the downward momentum gets underway it is tough to stop.

KPW 07-12-2012 11:33 PM

I wish the new owners the best.

JDeere 07-13-2012 03:33 AM

New Owner!

Hip hip hooray!

jamichele 07-13-2012 12:42 PM

Rumor has it Lyn Seley may be involved with the new ownership structure; just a rumor....

Shore Driver 07-14-2012 10:30 AM

Good luck to the new owners!!!

hopscotch 07-14-2012 12:18 PM

Not True

Jamichele, the rumor you're starting is not true

VitaBene 07-17-2012 05:51 PM

My understanding is that the potential new owners (being successful at auction does not make them the owners, until they meet financial milestones and ultimately close the deal) own or are involved in the Muddy-Rudder Restaurant in ME. http://muddy-rudder.com

We will see how it shakes out- at a minimum Kirk and Paige will run the restaurant until the transaction is complete.

secondcurve 07-17-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 186770)
My understanding is that the potential new owners (being successful at auction does not make them the owners, until they meet financial milestones and ultimately close the deal) own or are involved in the Muddy-Rudder Restaurant in ME. http://muddy-rudder.com

We will see how it shakes out- at a minimum Kirk and Paige will run the restaurant until the transaction is complete.

I've been to the MR four or five times. Not bad but I wouldn't call it fine dining.

Belmont Resident 07-18-2012 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondcurve (Post 186796)
I've been to the MR four or five times. Not bad but I wouldn't call it fine dining.

Maybe that is not their intention. With this area being a seasonal thing sometimes just good food and good atmosphere do better then fine dinning.
I’d consider O’s fine dinning, we might go there once a year, the other less expensive places with ok to good food are more frequented if for nothing else cost.
Either way I hope they do well. To far for us to venture though, as was the Woodshed.

lovetheforum 07-18-2012 09:34 PM

I have always loved the Woodshed! I wish the new owners the best and hope they keep it as the Woodshed. I am curios where everyone gets their information? It seems to be that some of these posts contradict one another.

Newbiesaukee 07-18-2012 09:48 PM

That is why...

you gotta love the Forum, "lovetheforum!" Welcome.

Altonbayicefishingfool 07-20-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summertm (Post 186189)
His name is Matt, he worked for the original owners. He has a restaurant in Portland. He plans on bringing back the original Woodshed.:)

And prices from when my parents ate there in the 70's? I went on their website and checked out the menu....little pricey....

ChocolateGypsy 07-20-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetheforum (Post 186903)
I have always loved the Woodshed! I wish the new owners the best and hope they keep it as the Woodshed. I am curios where everyone gets their information? It seems to be that some of these posts contradict one another.

Maybe because there is more than one "new owner?" :)

lovetheforum 07-20-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altonbayicefishingfool (Post 187041)
And prices from when my parents ate there in the 70's? I went on their website and checked out the menu....little pricey....

Is that from the old owners or the new ones?

lovetheforum 07-31-2012 04:53 PM

Does any one know when the Woodshed is changing hands?

Altonbayicefishingfool 07-31-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetheforum (Post 187051)
Is that from the old owners or the new ones?

Current menu on their website...

VitaBene 07-31-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altonbayicefishingfool (Post 187041)

The Woodshed is not inexpensive but it offers a good value. I would rather pay more for good food.

I eat there weekly or more often. I wish nothing but the best for Kirk and Paige along with Asa and the rest of the awesome crew at the Woodshed:)

phoenix 08-05-2012 08:53 AM

My son and daughter in law went this past week and werent pleased. First the waitress never went over the specials for the night. they both ordered scrod and felt it was over cooked. the vegetables were nearly raw so all in all they weren't happy at all. Don't know if the pending change in ownership is affecting this interim period as I have always enjoyed. Lets hope this was an anomoly or will get fixed when the new ownership takes over

Heading4thelake 08-12-2012 09:56 PM

Dinner tonight

Went to nWoodshed tonight, there were 5 of us, I musy say from the wine to the salad, bread, soup, and then our entrees it was just great . Prime rib, Scallops, and others ,not one complaint. Waiter was good, can't think of anything other than great !! Finished with Denver pudding which was the icing on the pudding !!

Lakesrider 08-13-2012 07:51 PM

Well, I think that is part of the problem at the Woodshed. At least for me there is no consistency for the service or the food. One day we go and it is awesome. Next time we go the waitress is having a bad day or something so while the food is still good the service lacks. Next time we go the waitress is great but it takes forever to get the food, and the drinks (which are not cheap there) were not great.
It's the whole reason we stopped going there long ago. :(

Waterbaby 08-13-2012 08:17 PM

Veggies nearly raw............

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix (Post 188258)
My son and daughter in law went this past week and werent pleased. First the waitress never went over the specials for the night. they both ordered scrod and felt it was over cooked. the vegetables were nearly raw so all in all they weren't happy at all. Don't know if the pending change in ownership is affecting this interim period as I have always enjoyed. Lets hope this was an anomoly or will get fixed when the new ownership takes over

That seems to be a trend in a lot of restaurants with veggies nearly raw...... Lately, I've eaten in NH (both north and south), MA, and RI and the veggies are always crunchy. Don't know why - If I wanted a crudite platter I would order one!

lovetheforum 08-21-2012 08:28 PM

I went to the Woodshed tonight and they were closed. There was a sign on the door that said they would be open tomorrow. Does anyone know if the ownership has changed or is changing?

bumble71 08-22-2012 01:31 PM

??

Have you read ANY of the Woodshed thread??:laugh:

Newbiesaukee 08-22-2012 02:21 PM

Actually, I've been following the whole thread and don't think that the plan was to close it in August. We were there about ten days ago and had a nice meal. I had "heard" that there is some difficulty with the financing of the purchase, but what is going on now is not clear.

I guess I assumed that "lovetheforum"was just surprised it was closed, but I do see the confusion. A little kindness wouldn't hurt.

CL 240 LS 08-22-2012 05:37 PM

Woodshed open

To clear up any confusion and doubts including my own I just called the Woodshed. They are open.

lovetheforum 08-23-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bumble71 (Post 189460)
Have you read ANY of the Woodshed thread??:laugh:

Bumble71, I was merely asking if that was the day it changed. I did not find any information in the thread that stated a day. I now know that the new owners took over on Monday. Thanks for your help Bumble!

VitaBene 08-23-2012 02:32 PM

I heard that the changeover took place and they are open today. I may swing by for a visit:)

bumble71 08-23-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetheforum (Post 189528)
Bumble71, I was merely asking if that was the day it changed. I did not find any information in the thread that stated a day. I now know that the new owners took over on Monday. Thanks for your help Bumble!

Don't mention it....

Jumbie98 08-23-2012 08:36 PM

Woodshed OPEN!!

Went there for dinner this evening! The new owners took over a few days ago. The service was great, the entire place looked and felt clean. The menu was the same but the food was great! Congratulations to the new owners!!!

VitaBene 08-25-2012 12:58 PM

I went in on Thursday evening and everything is pretty much the same. They have removed the pub menu (sandwiches, etc) and are not using the Woodshed loyalty card any longer.

All of the other familiar faces are there at the front of the house and on the front lines.

The Woodshed will have a familiar, but new life, under its new ownership.

Best of luck to them!

Shore Driver 08-30-2012 09:21 PM

They took the website down! That will cost them a few butts in seats this holiday weekend. I called and they are open as other have verified on here. The rumor mill made its way to my wife today about them closing down. I had to call!!!!!!

Newbiesaukee 08-31-2012 03:16 PM

We went last night and the four of us had a nice meal. Had I not known there was a change I would not have known there was one ( a little "Yogi-esque).:)

kauriel 09-01-2012 08:15 AM

Woodshed is no longer participating in restaurant.com

I received an email this week notifying me that The Woodshed is no longer participating in Restaurant.com. They sent me a link to exchange my certificate for another restaurant.

I had a feeling it might happen with ownership changes but was hoping it would hold off until we were able to try the woodshed!

Five Mile 09-02-2012 08:27 AM

Woodshed

Fact, not rumor. There are 4 owners. 3 of the 4 have worked at the Woodshed in the past. Matt (one of the new owners) has revealed that the new Woodshed website is now under construction and there will be loyalty cards coming back. All of the same people are still working there so no one has become unemployed. Oh, and as far as the raw veggies go, all you need to do is tell them how you want your veggies cooked. We have eaten there so may times that they just automatically do it.