Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ragged Island (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13948)

ishoot308 04-29-2012 06:32 AM

Ragged Island

Once the winds died down yesterday, we took a boat ride over to Ragged Island. When we got there I was devastated to see that two of the three public docks were completely wiped out over the winter.

This is a devastating blow for the Lakes Region Conservation Trust who owns the island as they just competed the repairs on these docks late last summer. Based on what I saw I doubt the trust will be able to repair the docks this year without coming up with some serious money. It's going to take a lot more than volunteer work to repair them, a barge and heavy equipment will be required. Truly a shame...

Dan

Slickcraft 04-29-2012 07:26 AM

Dan, that is a shame. I sent LRCT an email with a link to your report.

Alan

ishoot308 04-29-2012 09:11 AM

Thanks Slick;

I did email Muriel Robinette who heads up the volunteer work for LRCT. Ragged Island has been her baby and she is going to be devastated with this news.

BTW...It's still windy as all hell out here!!

Dan

Rattlesnake Gal 04-29-2012 10:56 AM

Lrct

Did you send a picture too? It is probable that they have insurance to cover the cost of repairs. A few years ago their dock on Rattlesnake got wiped out. I sent them an e-mail with a picture for which they were very appreciative and the dock was fixed super quick.

ishoot308 04-29-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal (Post 180914)
Did you send a picture too? It is probable that they have insurance to cover the cost of repairs. A few years ago their dock on Rattlesnake got wiped out. I sent them an e-mail with a picture for which they were very appreciative and the dock was fixed super quick.

No unfortunately I didn't. I didn't have a camera at the time I was there. If the wind dies down today maybe I will go back and get some shots for them. Never thought of the insurance...

Thank R-Gal!

Dan

DRH 04-29-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal (Post 180914)

F.Y.I. - we have our homeowner's insurance with Amica and our dock is covered for damage by the policy, except that damage from ice is specifically excluded. So those of you who assume your dock is covered under your homeowner's insurance policy might want to check the "fine print" and make sure.

Water Camper 05-14-2012 06:53 AM

Some Pictures

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures we took of the damaged docking at Ragged Island.

Merrymeeting 05-14-2012 09:02 AM

It is a shame, but can someone explain why they would build docks that are left in, knowing the damage that ice can do during the winter? Seems rather short-sighted.

ishoot308 05-14-2012 10:56 AM

They Tried

Looks like they had ice eaters going and did everything they could to prevent this from happening. This from the Lakes Region Conservation trust regarding the dock damage...

"….it was a very freak southerly wind that came up while the ice was just breaking up…our ice eater was useless to stop the flows from jamming up into the docks."

Dan

Sue Doe-Nym 05-14-2012 01:31 PM

Don't forget, these docks were originally part of a boat house.

MikeF-NH 05-15-2012 07:05 AM

what is on Ragged for the public? Public beach? Picnic area? Hiking Trails?

IslandRadio 05-15-2012 02:31 PM

That may be repairable, depending. I don't know what was underneath actually holding the dock up, but from the view in the picture, the wood on the main dock does not appear to have broken. It is obviously bent...

My safe dock was is much worse condition this spring, and I was actually able to fix it from above (so never had to get into the water), and without replacing any of the wooden frame. The dock was badly bent, and some of it was in the water.

But, this one may be worse than the pictures show.. hard to say without a close examination.

BroadHopper 05-15-2012 03:38 PM

Back in the days before DES

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merrymeeting (Post 181866)
It is a shame, but can someone explain why they would build docks that are left in, knowing the damage that ice can do during the winter? Seems rather short-sighted.

One can build a rock cage under the docks with rocks along the shore line. This method really helps prevent ice damage.

My neighbor says it takes 'an act of congress' to create a rock cage today.

tis 05-15-2012 04:15 PM

And even those docks can be damaged. The only way to really ensure no damage to your dock is to lift it out of the water. That nasty old ice can't get them then!!! Ours are all that way now!! :):)

Water Camper 05-15-2012 04:35 PM

Dock Repair

I believe the right side of the dock, as you are facing the shore, can be repaired. You can lift this dock with poles and a come-a-long. Have used this method before. You can then repair crib below or permanently put poles in place. It did not appear that the decking and framework on the right side was too damaged.

The left side, as you are facing the shore, needs complete replacement. It's rotten.

Have more pictures too.

Hope this info helps,
Bill

Pineedles 05-15-2012 06:34 PM

Tis is right. Our rock and cement wharf has finally sucumbed to ICE OUT. Major damage this time during ice out. Oh well, 120 years aint bad I guess. :laugh:

Barney Bear 05-16-2012 01:44 PM

Dock Damage

Much of the damage to our dock on East Bear Island is caused by wind-driven pack ice at ice-out time. :(

topwater 05-16-2012 03:45 PM

I think this would be a GREAT CAUSE, for all the Island land owners to chip-in and fix it for them. What a wonderful thing you would be doing for Winnie and all her visitors.:cheers:

ishoot308 05-30-2012 01:57 PM

Good News!

Just heard that a contractor was hired to rebuild both docks!! This is great news for those that visit the island!

Dan

holeinthewall 05-30-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topwater (Post 182056)
I think this would be a GREAT CAUSE, for all the Island land owners to chip-in and fix it for them. What a wonderful thing you would be doing for Winnie and all her visitors.:cheers:

How about all slip renter/owners with no place to go take up a collection.:laugh:

topwater 05-31-2012 10:11 PM

I trailer my boat where ever I go. But I like your idea too. So when is everyone going to start sending their money in? What about everyone donating time to get it fixed? Or is it Out of Site Out of mind type of thing? :laugh: Like usual.