Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Polish Beans Are BACK! - Walter's Market, Laconia (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11297)

Argie's Wife 12-18-2010 12:07 PM

Polish Beans Are BACK! - Walter's Market, Laconia

Argie asked me to post this... "Hey! Next time you're on winni dot com, let 'em know that Walter's Market's Polish beans are BACK!"

So, consider yourself informed.

Argie says the beans are the original recipe and are excellent. I just tried them for the first time and they're sweet, with some onion, hamburger, mustard, and are really different - but very good. Argie is on Cloud 9 because I guess these are an "old Laconia taste" as he put it.

Anyhow, it seems the new owners of Walter's Market are on to something here...

BroadHopper 12-18-2010 12:34 PM

Not only the beans

But the homemade sausages were good. Did the new owners bring the sausages back? I will be in heaven!

I read an article in the Citizen that the new owners are bringing Walter's Market back to original roots. With best grade meat as well as the beans.
I'm definitely going to check it out!

Argie's Wife 12-18-2010 12:42 PM

Argie says they had sausage but didn't know if it was the original recipe... He said there was a lot of meats and sausages - he told me they had said they were selling something like 200 pounds of beans a week! :)

Chickie 12-18-2010 02:28 PM

Walter's Market

Great news that Walter's Market is back in business. It always had the reputation of having the best meat in town - homemade sausage, Polish beans and all the rest. It was also a life saver for the elderly who lived at Sunrise Towers and the Tavern Apartments, as they took their orders by phone and delivered them to their door. Those who were elderly, disabled or had no transportation, certainly benefited from the service.

Wishing the new owners much success in reopening this old establishment. May their business flourish and remain a part of downtown Laconia for years to come.

Now I am waiting for someone to bring back Jimmy's Bakery in Lakeport and LaFlamme's in Laconia. LaFlamme's had the best glazed donuts in town and Jimmy's Bismarck's were something made in heaven. Goodbye Dunkin' Donuts if they were ever to return.

Neko 12-18-2010 03:40 PM

Walters Market

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argie's Wife (Post 146120)
Argie asked me to post this... "Hey! Next time you're on winni dot com, let 'em know that Walter's Market's Polish beans are BACK!"

So, consider yourself informed.

Argie says the beans are the original recipe and are excellent. I just tried them for the first time and they're sweet, with some onion, hamburger, mustard, and are really different - but very good. Argie is on Cloud 9 because I guess these are an "old Laconia taste" as he put it.

Anyhow, it seems the new owners of Walter's Market are on to something here...

Can I get a address and phone number if you have it.

Winnigirl83 12-18-2010 09:53 PM

They're at 193 Court St. If you're coming from downtown Laconia, they're about a 1/2 mile down on the right after the Landmark Inn.

Neko 12-19-2010 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winnigirl83 (Post 146141)
They're at 193 Court St. If you're coming from downtown Laconia, they're about a 1/2 mile down on the right after the Landmark Inn.

Thank you
Neko

SAMIAM 12-19-2010 09:07 AM

The Meredith Center store has, what I think, is the same recipe. Barry, the owner, used to be the meat man at Walters before he opened up in Meredith and has pretty much the same business plan.......the beans have kidney, lima and pea beans, as well as hamburg and onion in a sweet sauce. Yum!
Also, if you happen to have a moose, deer or bear carcass with you, Barry cuts and packages wild game.
Good luck to Walters as well.....definately plan to stop in.

Winopt 12-19-2010 11:59 PM

Great beans

Stopped in and got beans and steak tips on Saturday. They were awesome!

VitaBene 12-20-2010 11:02 AM

Galumpkis

Polish food eh? My FIL loves the stuff, do you know if they make Galumpkis?

BroadHopper 12-20-2010 01:18 PM

Polish food

I love polish food. Love the stuffed cabbage and I forgot what they call them, nicknamed 'whorehouse hamburgers'.

AB_Monterey 12-20-2010 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 146226)
Polish food eh? My FIL loves the stuff, do you know if they make Galumpkis?

It's Gołabki actually.

Polish beans = Fasolka po bretonsku (bean and meat stew)

Born and bred Polish.

The gołabki, kapusta, bigos, etc I can get every day but even my Babcia thinks that pierogies are a PITA to make. If they have them, or, gasp! chrusciki, I'd certainly be in there.

Is this the same ownership as the Wally's Market that is or used to be in Manchester?

BroadHopper 12-20-2010 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AB_Monterey (Post 146262)
It's Gołabki actually.

Polish beans = Fasolka po bretonsku (bean and meat stew)

Born and bred Polish.

The gołabki, kapusta, bigos, etc I can get every day but even my Babcia thinks that pierogies are a PITA to make. If they have them, or, gasp! chrusciki, I'd certainly be in there.

Is this the same ownership as the Wally's Market that is or used to be in Manchester?

No relationship to Wally's.

You lost me. Clue me into those other polish favorites.

AB_Monterey 12-20-2010 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 146271)
No relationship to Wally's.

You lost me. Clue me into those other polish favorites.

pierogi:

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/pierogi-i/Detail.aspx

Filled with cheese and swimming in enough butter to sink a ship would be my favorite. But the mushroom ones are a close second. The dough is the real PITA.

kapusta:

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/kapusta/Detail.aspx

We don't use the mushrooms and start with some bacon/fat in the pot.

bigos: (hunters stew) in very similar to kapusta but with more meat added. Pork, kielbasa, beef. It was whatever the hunters brought home that day.

and finally:

chrusciki:

http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od.../chrusciki.htm

My Babcia (grandmother) is the only one in the family that will make them.

If they have these at the store and they are the real thing, I will be there tomorrow.

BroadHopper 12-21-2010 09:16 AM

AB_M. Ms Bette, my Rottie, is drooling over my keyboard staring at you avatar...................... :laugh:

Neko 12-21-2010 11:03 AM

Polish beans

Quote:

Originally Posted by AB_Monterey (Post 146274)
pierogi:

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/pierogi-i/Detail.aspx

Filled with cheese and swimming in enough butter to sink a ship would be my favorite. But the mushroom ones are a close second. The dough is the real PITA.

kapusta:

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/kapusta/Detail.aspx

We don't use the mushrooms and start with some bacon/fat in the pot.

bigos: (hunters stew) in very similar to kapusta but with more meat added. Pork, kielbasa, beef. It was whatever the hunters brought home that day.

and finally:

chrusciki:

http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od.../chrusciki.htm

My Babcia (grandmother) is the only one in the family that will make them.

If they have these at the store and they are the real thing, I will be there tomorrow.

Do you know if they have any Kiszka?
I would get it from Kayem meat company years ago.

Greene's Basin Girl 12-21-2010 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 146150)
The Meredith Center store has, what I think, is the same recipe. Barry, the owner, used to be the meat man at Walters before he opened up in Meredith and has pretty much the same business plan.......the beans have kidney, lima and pea beans, as well as hamburg and onion in a sweet sauce. Yum!
Also, if you happen to have a moose, deer or bear carcass with you, Barry cuts and packages wild game.
Good luck to Walters as well.....definately plan to stop in.

I just purchased the polish beans at Walter's today. I tried them first. They tasted very sweet, but my husband will love them. They are expensive though----$4.29 a pound. I spoke to the owner and he said the recipe is the same as the one that the original owner used. He was very nice. He will make-up platters, sandwiches etc. to order as requested. I hope they do well.

Winnigirl83 06-27-2011 05:09 PM

Still Open?

Does anyone know if Walter's is still open? I drove by there a couple of times the past week or so and they don't look open. Anyone know?

natureboy79 06-27-2011 07:41 PM

would be amazing if they carried those polish treats. stuffed cabbage,perogies, and potato pancakes oh my! For those interested this is the closest polish restaurant I could find and it looks darn good.http://www.cafepolonia.com/
some pics-http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...57678960917049 I will definitely check out these beans.

upthesaukee 06-27-2011 09:11 PM

Don't think so...

...we went by on Saturday, and it was closed up, no signs of life. This is the third time we went by in the last few months. In the past, there were was info on the sign out front stating they would reopen soon. Nothing on the sign now.

There was a piece of paper on the door that may have had info, but we couldn't read it, and we were in a rainshower, so we didn't get out.

Too bad...I was hoping to get some of the andouille sausage that Walter's sold.

AussieDog 06-29-2011 06:24 AM

I drove by Walter's yesterday and there was a realtor sign out front. I can only guess that the property is for sale or perhaps lease.

No beans anytime soon.

Argie's Wife 06-29-2011 02:49 PM

Yes, I was by there on Monday and noted it was closed, too, and I saw the "for sale" sign...

Maybe we need to get a business plan together for an ethnic food market... Y'all want Polish food, and I'd love to do a Greek food shop/cafe... if only I was a rich woman....

BroadHopper 06-29-2011 09:43 PM

The Rub

Since the lay off from High Tech in 2008, it's been tough to get a job. I have approach various banks to buy various businesses in the lakes Region area. All banks ask for enough liquid assets to cover the business loan. WOW! The don't consider pensions and 401K as assets. The reason why is that they are protected in bankruptcy courts.

That is why a lot of businesses are not sold as well as why there are not many start ups.

I would love to get Walter's Market going if only I can get a loan. I have a degree in accounting as well as an MBA. I contract out to many small businesses for financial analyst models, pro formas etc. Businesses are doing so, so, since 2008.

MindFire 07-06-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argie's Wife (Post 161615)
Yes, I was by there on Monday and noted it was closed, too, and I saw the "for sale" sign...

Maybe we need to get a business plan together for an ethnic food market... Y'all want Polish food, and I'd love to do a Greek food shop/cafe... if only I was a rich woman....

We live near the Garden Oasis place that went up and then died after one summer. Too bad, beautiful place. I think the same way as you! A nice ethnic place would be awesome.... unfortunately, they don't do so hot around here.

Oh, and Garden Oasis is for sale! For just $1.4 million! OR... you can lease it for $90,000 per year.

brk-lnt 07-07-2011 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindFire (Post 162266)
Oh, and Garden Oasis is for sale! For just $1.4 million! OR... you can lease it for $90,000 per year.

Or, more likely, we'll get to watch it slowly decay.

Every time my wife and I drive past that place we just have to say "WTF"?

How can you invest that much in an operation and then not seem to be able to keep it going for more than 1 year?

Winnisquamguy 07-08-2011 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brk-lnt (Post 162277)
How can you invest that much in an operation and then not seem to be able to keep it going for more than 1 year?

I don't even think they even gave it a summer they opened after bike week, and then closed I believe around Columbus Day...very sad, nice, building.

Filaroski 03-01-2012 12:14 AM

Thank you Everyone

I have to say that reading all of these comments means a lot to me. I am Walter's granddaughter and it is incredible to know that people are still talking about his market. I am currently working on a Marketing Plan to restore my Grandpa's store back to its original roots and showcase the heritage my Grandpa created.

So thank you again everyone for your comments, I can't tell you how much it means to our family to read them and know that he is still known in the community and talked about.

SAMIAM 03-02-2012 08:00 PM

Awwww...Filaroski.That's so nice to hear.I'm an ol' Laconia boy and I can tell you that your grampy was a legend.
He was not just known for his great meat and deli delights,but also for his big heart....not many people knew that he would "accidentally" forget to ring up certain items when someone checked out that was having some hard times.
Good luck to you .

Filaroski 03-13-2012 12:35 AM

SamIam

That is so funny you mention his "forgetting" to ring people up. My Dad and I were just talking about that as well. I must say that it is pretty cool to know that people still remember him! I think what gets me is that for the most part, people that know of him now that are still living were kids when he was around, and now their kids know about him. It is inspiring to say the least.

Thanks for the post- it means a lot. And if you are from there I am sure you know my Dad and Uncles.. Tom, Paul, and Pete.

Cheers!