Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Lakes Region Residents - Where do you go in winter? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18570)

TheProfessor 12-18-2014 08:50 AM

Lakes Region Residents - Where do you go in winter?

Where do you go in Winter?

OK.
Some stay home/here.
Some are seasonal residents here and live other places.
Some take day trips.
Some visit relatives down South.
Some rent for a month - 4 months in other places.
Some own another home down South.

Where do Lakes Region people go in Winter and for how long?

rgilfert 12-18-2014 10:27 AM

I Got It Figured Out .....

How do I pass the winter months? Well, I fall into the live in state (NH) category but take numerous road trips out of state to get all required/necessary spousal family visits out of the way between camp closing and ice-out. Clears the slate for an uninterrupted summer at the lake!!

ishoot308 12-18-2014 10:49 AM

We love the winter in the Lakes Region and for the most part stay here. We do however go for our annual week or so trip to the Turks & Caicos islands which we have been doing for the last 8 or so years and absolutely love it there! We do come back before ice in as I can't miss the ice fishing / snowmobiling season or the occasional winter weekend at the island camp! :)

Dan

winnisummergal 12-18-2014 11:31 AM

Winter retreat

Ok Dan,

Turks & Caicos is on the short list of vacations in the next 2-3 years. Where do you recommend staying? Please PM since it's not necessarily "Lakes Region". :laugh:

ishoot308 12-18-2014 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winnisummergal (Post 237754)
Ok Dan,

Turks & Caicos is on the short list of vacations in the next 2-3 years. Where do you recommend staying? Please PM since it's not necessarily "Lakes Region". :laugh:

P.M. sent...

Dan

Pine Island Guy 12-18-2014 12:54 PM

please share!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 237755)
P.M. sent...

Dan

Hey Dan - although not the "lakes region" it does help "lakes region residents" to day-dream about sunny 80 degree beaches this time of year...

I'm sure there are more than just me who would appreciate hearing the details on recommendations to escape to for a week or three this time of year...

Thanks!! -PIG (where it is always 80 and sunny in my mind)

BroadHopper 12-18-2014 04:20 PM

Lakes Region

As a lifetime resident, I love it here! With the ocean and mountains about an hour away, the big lake at my foot step why should I go elsewhere.
Bean town about an hour 1/2 away, Gunstock next door, I pretty much stay home. I do spend a month in Colorado for my ski fix and occasionally spend a few weeks in the Florida Keys for my beach fix.

Its funny the number of folks claiming there is nothing to do off season, and they have cabin fever. Just get outdoors and enjoy nature!

chasedawg 12-18-2014 05:12 PM

Where do you go.....

We love to stay at our barn house in Melvin village through the Holidays and into ski and snowmobile season. Love the area in the winter. But at times we need a break and head South to the British Virgin Island to do some sailing for 10 days.

BVI sailing is considered the best sailing in the world. Anyone want to go? :)

BTW great thread....it will be fun finding other idea's of enjoying the winter months

Billy Bob 12-18-2014 06:23 PM

Six and six

the lake is the place in the summer , Tierra Vierdi ( st Pete ) in the winter with side trips to the Keys . Lots of side trips to the islands .
We can even try Havana soon !!

Trying to make a feeble attempt at living that Beach Boys song about summer all year round .
Cold and dark dosen't make it

TiltonBB 12-18-2014 06:25 PM

Go South

After many years in New England, depressed when summer ended, and many years of spending the winter wishing for summer, I did the Florida thing. I realized that I was wishing half of my life away.

In past years, I have had snomobiles and done some skiing but I realized that I enjoyed summer and water things a lot more. Driving in the snow, worrying if someone will slide into you, getting in to a freezing cold car, all things I didn't want to do anymore, and don't miss. I know there are a lot of fun winter things to do if you are hearty and adventurous, but I am not that anymore.

I have wintered in Florida since 2007. One of my favorite things to do in the winter is bring up NECN on my computer during a blizzard to see what is happening. I am still very much in touch with what is going on in New Hampshire, I even get the automated calls from PSNH about power outages!

I would have posted some pictures but I wouldn't feel right about it!

phoenix 12-18-2014 08:29 PM

I spend the winters in Phoenix . For me I am too old to handle the winter. Much prefer the 70's and spring training

Winni-Retired 12-18-2014 08:58 PM

Naples, Florida

RLW 12-18-2014 10:14 PM

Now me, I stay right here on Alton mountain 365 days and wouldn't change a day of my stay here. even my older age does not change my brides and my idea of really enjoying the area all 4 seasons. Snow ice, rain and sunshine just keeps us here. Oh I forgot we just love the mason breakfast and friendship once a month. Oh by the way breakfast is this coming Sunday per my calendar.:)

8gv 12-19-2014 09:39 AM

Tierra Verde FL

At least that's the plan. First we must complete our move from CT to NH.

For years I've been telling my wife that every six months something changes our plans. So far, we've stuck to this one for three years. Eight months to go...

MGWillia 12-19-2014 11:03 AM

On our Way!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8gv (Post 237815)
Tierra Verde FL

At least that's the plan. First we must complete our move from CT to NH.

For years I've been telling my wife that every six months something changes our plans. So far, we've stuck to this one for three years. Eight months to go...

We close on the house Jan 7th and will hopefully complete the move by March or May at the latest!!!! Feeling pretty blessed.

Barbara 12-19-2014 01:15 PM

We live in Wolfeboro year round, but in the winter go away periodically to always have something great to look forward to through the winter months: usually a cruise, visit to the kids in Park City, a trip to St John, USVI, my favorite place on the planet, my husband does a golf trip to FL with his buddies, and I do a Girlfriends Getaway week. In between all those, I love the beauty of winter here. I feel blessed!

Duke's 12-19-2014 01:17 PM

We moved to the lake full time a little over a year ago and we're loving it. We go to Naples, Florida at the end of January until early March, then Southern California until the end of March. By then we're ready to come home and wait for ice out and Spring 🌷🌷

CateP 12-19-2014 02:26 PM

Winter in Wofeboro

1 Attachment(s)
I think everyone handles winter differently, but having an outdoor activity you like enhances the season. We x-country ski and snowshoe. We've also been known to slide down Abenaki ski hill when no one is there. (wild ride)

Winter is a great time for us to take care of all the things we tend to neglect all summer when sailing and boating on the lake. (like organizing piles of papers) I also do theatre and water color painting.

One of the best parts about our winter is going to St. John U.S.V.I to warm up in February. We rent a fabulous place in Coral Bay and meet up with friends from Barnstead, NH and sail. The anticipation for this trip, the experience and about two weeks afterwards helps us get through the tedious cold if there is no snow to play in.

BTW- We hope to join Chasedawg and Chaselady for a BVI sailing trip in 2016. (Got that Chasedawg??)

Webbsatwinni 12-19-2014 08:09 PM

Rgilfert, get a sled! Island life in the winter.

bruinsfan 12-19-2014 08:26 PM

Winter is the best time up here.

We stay put, watch hockey, and enjoy the regions skiing and winter hiking trails.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

riverat 12-20-2014 08:16 AM

We live in Alton but usually around the 2nd week in January we make several trips a week to our houses on Alton Bay, Bobhouses that is! and as usual, you are all invited to stop in for a visit. I am usually the first house on the right leaving the ramp by Shibley's. If Ol' Glory is waving that means were home, stop in for some hot cocoa.

Everything you could possibly want is right here, no need to go anywhere else.
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...201_122525.jpg

lilyelgato 12-20-2014 08:56 AM

I prefer the winter over summers here. It's so serenely beautiful, and life is just more laid back. But I must disclose that I am a skier, so I prefer winter over summer just about anywhere. We ski at Gunstock as much as possible, and get in a few days at Telluride. I keep wanting to take a few art classes that are offered in the area too, but I haven't gotten around to it. We definitely go out more in the winter too, since there are no lines or crowds. It seems like there are a lot more year-rounders here than there were ten years ago.

Sunbeam lodge 12-20-2014 09:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheProfessor (Post 237732)
Where do you go in Winter?

OK.
Some stay home/here.
Some are seasonal residents here and live other places.
Some take day trips.
Some visit relatives down South.
Some rent for a month - 4 months in other places.
Some own another home down South.

Where do Lakes Region people go in Winter and for how long?

Merry Christmas from Naples Florida. Those are not the Ossippee's in the background

MAXUM 12-20-2014 10:36 AM

Nowhere! I enjoy my place just as much in the winter as I do in the summer. Maybe even a little more because there is even more peace and quiet.

I do burn through a lot of propane keeping my place heated though. Well worth it though!

ronc4424 12-20-2014 06:53 PM

Wife & I take the Motorhome and tow the trikes to Big Pine Key ( mile marker 33 )at the end of February.

SIKSUKR 12-22-2014 12:58 PM

This is what I love to do

This was taken this past Saturday(12-20) at Cannon.What a perfect day it was to be on the mountain.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8zy6R1_6A58" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BroadHopper 12-22-2014 01:21 PM

16" last storm, 2 major storms coming up!

Just in time for the holidays!

http://www.breckenridge.com/mountain...d=PPC116636692