Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Corner Store/Lake Town Market (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29267)

Dad207 12-24-2023 07:56 AM

Corner Store/Lake Town Market

Anyone know what's going on at the Corner Store in Alton? I heard that it was being converted to a wood-fired pizza restaurant-- Any confirmation or news on that?

Cobalt 12 12-25-2023 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad207 (Post 390140)
Anyone know what's going on at the Corner Store in Alton? I heard that it was being converted to a wood-fired pizza restaurant-- Any confirmation or news on that?

I have dealt ON and OFF with that property for many many many years. This is not the first time this conversation has been brought up. I said it years ago and I'll say it now....

NOTHING will be a success at that location. " Nothing ".. In the last 30 years, nothing has been successful. I'm not saying some of the food wasn't pretty darn good, but Parking is terrible. Not enough parking, and not enough foot traffic. The Location is TERRIBLE, very visible but terrible locations.

I would suggest that ALTON allows a Large Corporation come in and LEVEL IT!! Make a 7 story Hotel/Condos there with parking underneath. Retail shops and stores will not survive there.

TiltonBB 12-25-2023 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobalt 12 (Post 390160)
I have dealt ON and OFF with that property for many many many years. This is not the first time this conversation has been brought up. I said it years ago and I'll say it now....

NOTHING will be a success at that location. " Nothing ".. In the last 30 years, nothing has been successful. I'm not saying some of the food wasn't pretty darn good, but Parking is terrible. Not enough parking, and not enough foot traffic. The Location is TERRIBLE, very visible but terrible locations.

I would suggest that ALTON allows a Large Corporation come in and LEVEL IT!! Make a 7 story Hotel/Condos there with parking underneath. Retail shops and stores will not survive there.

Yes. Same thing at Pops Clam Shell location! Nothing will make it. Never going to make it. Not enough parking, no foot traffic. I see what you mean!

TheTimeTraveler 12-25-2023 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 390162)
Yes. Same thing at Pops Clam Shell location! Nothing will make it. Not enough parking, no foot traffic. I see what you mean!

The difference is that Pops Clam Shell IS very successful but they rely on all the public parking (compliments of the Alton taxpayers) and have a booming business just where they are.......

nj2nh 12-30-2023 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler (Post 390163)
The difference is that Pops Clam Shell IS very successful but they rely on all the public parking (compliments of the Alton taxpayers) and have a booming business just where they are.......

The parking for Pops is not any different than the parking for Busy Corner. At Pops, you have to cross the highway. For Busy Corner, you just walk up the road.

They just have not found the right formula. We were there this past summer. I really wanted to find a new model that would work. Was disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Cobalt 12 01-01-2024 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nj2nh (Post 390250)
The parking for Pops is not any different than the parking for Busy Corner. At Pops, you have to cross the highway. For Busy Corner, you just walk up the road.

They just have not found the right formula. We were there this past summer. I really wanted to find a new model that would work. Was disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

There is " NO RIGHT FORMULA " for that Location. If there were, somebody would have done it in the last 30 years.. What's the average age of the person eating at Pop's? They park across the street and walk 30 yards on level roads to get to pops... Those same aged people will not, won't ever, walk 200 yards UPHILL to get a donut and a postcard.

" Level it, make Condo's, create a positive cash flow for the town. You're welcome. This is where " Common Sense " should come into play. Convenience is everything to today's " Crowd " .. Walking up there is not a convenience.