Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Garwoods in Wolfeboro Renovation. (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11730)

Lakesrider 03-14-2011 12:17 PM

Garwoods in Wolfeboro Renovation.

Looks like they have gutted the Garwoods Restaurant in Wolfeboro. Big dumpster and a ton of carpet out front when I went by a little while ago. 3/14/2011.

Lucy Goose 03-21-2011 06:33 PM

I drove by today and wondered what was going on. Wonder what they are up to?

Heaven 03-21-2011 07:09 PM

It's a complete renovation front to back, new storefront, new floor level. New everything.

Rusty 03-25-2011 05:50 PM

The below notice about Garwoods renovation is in today's "The Granite State News":

http://localhostr.com/file/wBDUsnL/Garwoods.JPG

jsn 03-30-2011 05:14 PM

I have always had a good time at Garwoods, yummy meals and tasty cocktails. It's been a boat destination for us for quite some time! I'll be looking forward to its new atmosphere this coming summer.

Heaven 04-15-2011 08:36 PM

I see people in there tonight

LadyKey 04-18-2011 07:17 AM

Garwoods Renovation

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heaven (Post 154802)
I see people in there tonight

Has Garwoods reopened already? Is the restaurant going to be on one floor?

Heaven 04-18-2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyKey (Post 154998)
Has Garwoods reopened already? Is the restaurant going to be on one floor?

I think they are open, yes. According to the newspaper, it is kind of a split level with a chair-lift for those who cannot navigate four or five steps.

jack1706 04-18-2011 12:32 PM

garwoods Roof

I'm really surprised that the Town of Wolfeboro has let those a/c units look like that on their roof.
What an eyesore coming down Main Street !!

Grady223 04-18-2011 03:06 PM

Has anyone been there yet? Would like to know what was done. Any menu changes to go along with the remodel?

Rusty 04-18-2011 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grady223 (Post 155066)
Has anyone been there yet? Would like to know what was done. Any menu changes to go along with the remodel?

The below article was in this weeks edition of the Granite State News:

http://localhostr.com/file/QZnNwy1/Garwoods%202.JPG

KBoater 04-19-2011 02:51 PM

Lunch

I had lunch at Garwoods today to celebrate ice out.

The renovations are amazing. The restaurant is mostly 1 level except for a small area near the entry. This area has a web cam of the lake over the fireplace.
There is bar seating overlooking the street. It makes for a cozy area. Also on the street level is new bathrooms.

The main section of the place is at the level of the old bar. Just about every table has a view of the lake. The windows near the lake have been opened up
with overhead windows.
This makes for quite a view.
There has been a complete redo of the interior décor. They used local craftsmen and woodwork and the appointments are beautiful.

Lunch was excellent. I had a fish sandwich and my friend had a green salad. When we asked for rolls, they said they didn’t had any
but offered slices of bread (no butter). Service was fast.

I was told that there is a direct entry to the kitchen from the deck which is new.

I will go again. They have built a place that can now be a first class resturant.

Heaven 04-19-2011 03:36 PM

Deck isn't new, always had a kitchen access door serving the deck

KBoater 04-19-2011 04:00 PM

deck

I had not been on the deck for several years because on the entrance but from above it looked new. I'm not sure of the current entrance.

Marker 17 04-20-2011 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakesrider (Post 152629)
Looks like they have gutted the Garwoods Restaurant in Wolfeboro. Big dumpster and a ton of carpet out front when I went by a little while ago. 3/14/2011.

I'm happy to see some updating and change to Garwoods however the real reason I never go there is the menu. It is a tourist TRAP and the prices are outrageous for the food and service you receive. I'd much rather see this be a casual and cozy pub than try to be fine dining.

Knomad 04-30-2011 03:35 AM

We had dinner there last night. We were impressed with the renovations but not impressed with the overall experience. It is still noisy and the meals were just OK and very pricey.

lakeboat 05-03-2011 04:38 PM

Went there for lunch, the place is no better. It was a real disappointment. I agree with other person that said a cozy pub would have been better.

diz 05-03-2011 06:05 PM

Went there this weekend. They did a nice job with the renovation. It definitely isn't cheap but it's a nice option for lunch/dinner by boat.

Highlander 05-09-2011 09:08 AM

Went to Garwoods last night. The reno is much nicer than the old building, they did a very nice job. The food was ok, nothing to write home about, the service was very good but the prices are extremely high for the quality of the food. Still think lunch out on the deck is the best thing there.

jrc 06-25-2011 10:13 PM

The only upside to crappy weather is that I can get a dock in Wolfeboro. We tried the remodeled Garwoods tonight.

The place looks great. Much brighter and more inviting. The place was booked up with reservations, so we had to take a viewless table or wait.

I think they went a little pretentious on their presentation to try and match the new decor. We both had baked seafood and the tried and true baking dishes were placed on square plates with doilies. The sides were also serve this way.

The scallops and haddock were great but the sides were disappointing, usually I don't think much about them but the fish was so hot when served that I ate the rice while it cooled. Now rice here means an ice cream scoop of plain white rice. No butter, no sauce, no pilaf, just slightly soggy rice. On the same plate you get five or six sting beans and some juliene zuchinni.

We love Garwoods for lunch and seldom eat dinner there, the seafood was great but the meal was less than satisfying. I think I'll stick to lunch.

Loony Singer 06-28-2011 12:45 PM

noisy!

Tried the re-done Garwood's on Sunday. The place looks much better, and most in our party were happy with their food. On the downside, the service was slow, even though the place was far from full. And man, was it noisy! We were sitting inside near the lake, across from the bar. There were some folks at the bar engaged in animated conversation, and we couldn't hear each other from one end of our table to the other. I think they could use some sound deadening material in the ceilings...or some quieter barflies ;)

Barbara 06-28-2011 05:30 PM

The renovation is great! Lunch outdoorsnis very nice. Food, especially dinner, is so-so and I think the prices are ridiculous. Fine dining prices for very average food.

Eagle54 07-03-2011 02:27 PM

Garwoods Nice Renovation, Food Disappointing

We have gone to Garwoods a few times/year for the past 10 years; it was convenient but never outstanding. As better restaurants opened (The Restaurant, Bayside, etc) we'd go less often to Garwoods, usually just when we were looking for a waterfront place to stop by boat. We looked forward to the renovation thinking they'd step up their game to be more competitive. The renovation looks great and seems much brighter. The service was slow even though there were only about 7-8 tables occupied. My wife's dinner was mediocre. The dinner I had was not only the worst dinner I've ever had at Garwoods, but one of the worst dinners I recall having at a restaurant in recent years. I ordered the pasta with shrimp, and it was almost like soup there was so much water in the dish. And absolutely no flavor or taste - incredibly bland. Much like the Wolfeboro Inn, there seems to be no correlation between a lot of money spent on renovation and a better dining experience. Too bad.

KateT 08-25-2011 11:30 PM

Garwoods tonight

I hadn't been in since the renovations just because I don't eat out much. Loved the new look and my baked haddock was the BEST! I'm a foodie and really felt that the portions were appropriate for those who want to eat a healthy meal. Vegetables were nicely sauteed and rice was perfectly steamed.

I will go back to try other entrees.

But I do have to say that it was very noisy at our table by the lake inside and by the bar.