Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   I Want Pie! (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19972)

ishoot308 10-22-2015 05:59 PM

I Want Pie!

With Thanksgiving not that far away, I need to find some pies!

Who makes and where can I buy the best pies in the Lakes Region? Most "good" bakeries I have checked, only do cakes and pastry type goodies... I need pie!!

Thanks!

Dan

Merrymeeting 10-22-2015 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 253180)

Who makes and where can I buy the best pies in the Lakes Region? Most "good" bakeries I have checked, only do cakes and pastry type goodies... I need pie!!

Thanks!

Dan

Well, my better half makes the best pies in the Lake Region. As a result, I've never had to buy one and can't recommend a place where you could get one. :D

fatlazyless 10-22-2015 07:16 PM

.... from the back of the store

For just 2.65, yesterday, I got a super-duper 8" apple pie, "Oops, we baked too much" sell by Oct 21, 2015, reg price 5.29, from the day old wire rack shelf in the back of Heath's Super Market in Center Harbor.

A super pie,

from a super market!

pjard 10-22-2015 07:18 PM

Dan, my wife says Beans and Greens! I'm not a big pie guy so I have to trust her.

Patiently Watching 10-22-2015 08:19 PM

Pie in the Sky - Cape Neddick, ME
Easy drive with good stops along the way.
Best around for sure.

Den65 10-22-2015 08:23 PM

Pie's

Quote:

Thanks!

Dan

Moulton Farms in Meredith been getting them for Thanksgiving and Christmas for a while now. Always good and a good selection :liplick::liplick:

ishoot308 10-22-2015 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjard (Post 253184)
Dan, my wife says Beans and Greens! I'm not a big pie guy so I have to trust her.

Thanks Paul!

But I think they close November 1st.

Dan

Resident 2B 10-22-2015 10:24 PM

Beans and Greens have the best in the area. A fairly close second is Moulton Farm. Enjoy the Holidays!

R2B

Janet 10-23-2015 07:59 AM

I second Moulton Farm in Meredith for pies. Their Country Apple with the maple flavored crust is the best.

Airedale1 10-23-2015 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patiently Watching (Post 253187)
Easy drive with good stops along the way. Best around for sure.

They better be the best. I checked out their website and they get $38.00 for an apple pie.:eek:

That being said, I called Moulton Farms and they get $16.99 for their 10" apple pies. That sounds very reasonable.

Years ago we used to get our apple pies from a bakery in Londonderry called Top of The Tree. They had amazing pies but I think they are no longer in business. We will try Moulton Farms this year.

ishoot308 10-23-2015 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airedale1 (Post 253223)
They better be the best. I checked out their website and they get $38.00 for an apple pie.:eek:

That being said, I called Moulton Farms and they get $16.99 for their 10" apple pies. That sounds very reasonable.

Years ago we used to get our apple pies from a bakery in Londonderry called Top of The Tree. They had amazing pies but I think they are no longer in business. We will try Moulton Farms this year.

I'm actually embarrassed to admit this but one time I paid $84.00 for a single black cherry pie...It was from the "Village Pie Maker" in Eustis Nebraska. (If you have ever had one of their pies you would understand) Their pies normally retail around $38.00 or so but between packaging and shipping to NH it cost me $84.00.

My better and smarter half say's I'm not allowed to buy pies there anymore...:emb:

Dan

Sunbeam lodge 10-23-2015 04:36 PM

Quote:

Thanks!

Dan

Hands down John Moulton off route 25 in Meredith

ishoot308 10-25-2015 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patiently Watching (Post 253187)
Easy drive with good stops along the way.
Best around for sure.

OK Patiently Watching, "Pie In The Sky" it is!! Just ordered all of our Thanksgiving pies there. They look wonderful and get fantastic reviews!!

Thanks for the recommendation!!

Dan

Patiently Watching 10-26-2015 11:28 AM

I hope you enjoy and that they become a tradition like they have in ours.
They do a great job and the whole experience, including picking up the pies is always fun.
Have a great Thanskgiving.

Katy D 10-26-2015 01:23 PM

Black Forest Cafe and Bakery in Amherst NH, good crust for a bakery pie, berry pies are really good, not sure if they have them this time of year. Their coconut cake is the best cake I have ever had, people who weren't a fan of coconut said how good it is.

DesertDweller 10-26-2015 03:46 PM

+ 1 for Moulton Farms. Not sure on all of the pies but their apple pie is very good.

Outdoorsman 10-26-2015 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 253268)
OK Patiently Watching, "Pie In The Sky" it is!! Just ordered all of our Thanksgiving pies there. They look wonderful and get fantastic reviews!!

Thanks for the recommendation!!

Dan

Good thing it is not Easter.. You put all of your eggs in one basket

ishoot308 10-27-2015 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outdoorsman (Post 253309)
Good thing it is not Easter.. You put all of your eggs in one basket

I'm OK with that. I have yet to be steered wrong with the recommendations on this forum and think this place will be another winner added to the list of many.

I am also certain the other recommendations made would be great as well. I just decided to go with this place this time and will try the others at another time.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Dan

lakes rest guy 10-28-2015 05:06 PM

Moultin Farms

Great pies

Pontoon Goon 10-29-2015 07:59 AM

When you get right down to it is there really any such thing as bad pie ?:liplick:

Airedale1 10-29-2015 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pontoon Goon (Post 253388)
When you get right down to it is there really any such thing as bad pie ?:liplick:

Yes there is such a thing as a bad pie. A bad pie is one that nobody saved you a slice of.:liplick:

SIKSUKR 10-30-2015 09:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pontoon Goon (Post 253388)

Oh ya there is.Of course it comes from the UK.

Rusty 10-30-2015 02:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was in a Market Basket store in Maine yesterday and found this 11" deep dish Wild Maine Blueberry pie for $15.49. It weighs 3.75 lbs and looks very good.
I 'll bet it tastes just as good as the $38.00 one.
They also had some nice 10" deep dish pies for $10.00 and the usual $5.00 ones.

Rusty 10-30-2015 02:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a beautiful Market Basket deep dish Apple 4 berry pie.

jbolty 10-30-2015 02:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here's a pie chart

Greene's Basin Girl 10-30-2015 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbolty (Post 253433)
here's a pie chart

Very Funny!!!!

SIKSUKR 11-02-2015 10:03 AM

Pie squared

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe one of these.

kauriel 11-05-2015 08:59 PM

Cup & Crumb just posted their Thanksgiving pie orders. Prices range from $15-$20. I haven't been yet but I've heard rave reviews about them. http://nebula.wsimg.com/ff7b089802ad...&alloworigin=1

Alton Bay 11-09-2015 04:15 PM

pie

Johnsons Restaurant in New Durham makes yummy pies!

ghfromaltonbay 11-10-2015 03:56 PM

Johnson's Market

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alton Bay (Post 253743)
Johnsons Restaurant in New Durham makes yummy pies!

You can buy their pies in their Market Store next to the restaurant or at the register in the restaurant.

Miss Theresa 11-10-2015 04:21 PM

I have pie for you!

1 Attachment(s)
Jen Clifford, pastry chef extraordinare, is taking your pie orders! I have attached a pic that shows what is available for order.

Miss Theresa 11-22-2015 01:34 PM

Happy holidays!

wifi 11-22-2015 03:49 PM

All is well that ends well, I always say :)

WakeboardMom 11-24-2015 01:20 PM

This past weekend, we had a sweet potato pecan pie from Moulton Farms. Amazing!

ishoot308 11-27-2015 09:34 AM

Great Thanksgiving!

1 Attachment(s)
We had a great Thanksgiving and hope you all did too!

Thanks to Patiently Watching for the "Pie In The Sky" recommendation! Great Pies, great place and wonderful service from very nice people!

We also got pies and deserts from Many other places but must make a special mention to Gretchen at Gilford Gourmet right here in Gilford, NH. She made us three absolutely delectable deserts that just blew everyone away! One was a two tier carrot cake (center of pic below) which had pineapple and raisins in it, it was spectacular! She also made an authentic Key Lime pie which was the best I have ever had and I have had a lot as that is my favorite! Also baked by her was individual size Key Lime cheese cakes which were so smooth and delicious, everyone complimented.

Another special mention to Roland Lyons of the Lyons Den Restaurant who was kind enough to make us a tray of his famous bread pudding complete with a huge side of rum sauce. If you have never had his bread pudding you really need to try it as it is the best around!!

Below is a pic of this years desert station!

Hope everyone had a great holiday!

Dan

Orion 11-27-2015 10:37 AM

Wow!

Holy cow, ishoot. If I saw that desert station, I think I would be passing on the turkey and stuffing. What a spread!

DesertDweller 11-27-2015 12:44 PM

That's pretty impressive.........................

Miss Theresa 11-27-2015 01:54 PM

Pecans in every bite!

1 Attachment(s)
Here is one pic of the many varieties of holiday desserts available at For Goodness Cakes. AND if you are a chocolate lover, you can have a chocolate pecan pie!

sum-r breeze 11-28-2015 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miss theresa (Post 254291)
here is one pic of the many varieties of holiday desserts available at for goodness cakes. And if you are a chocolate lover, you can have a chocolate pecan pie!

yum!!!!!!!

secondcurve 11-28-2015 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 254284)
We had a great Thanksgiving and hope you all did too!

Thanks to Patiently Watching for the "Pie In The Sky" recommendation! Great Pies, great place and wonderful service from very nice people!

We also got pies and deserts from Many other places but must make a special mention to Gretchen at Gilford Gourmet right here in Gilford, NH. She made us three absolutely delectable deserts that just blew everyone away! One was a two tier carrot cake (center of pic below) which had pineapple and raisins in it, it was spectacular! She also made an authentic Key Lime pie which was the best I have ever had and I have had a lot as that is my favorite! Also baked by her was individual size Key Lime cheese cakes which were so smooth and delicious, everyone complimented.

Another special mention to Roland Lyons of the Lyons Den Restaurant who was kind enough to make us a tray of his famous bread pudding complete with a huge side of rum sauce. If you have never had his bread pudding you really need to try it as it is the best around!!

Below is a pic of this years desert station!

Hope everyone had a great holiday!

Dan

Dan:

As others have said very impressive. You certainly could compete with most, if not all, of the restaurants in the Lakes Region! How many folks attended your dinner?

ishoot308 11-28-2015 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondcurve (Post 254304)
Dan:

As others have said very impressive. You certainly could compete with most, if not all, of the restaurants in the Lakes Region! How many folks attended your dinner?

Well, we had 30 family members.... My mom and 29 from my wife's side!! ;) needless to say she comes from a BIG family! They are all wonderful and we had a great time! We cooked three turkeys and smoked a fourth. Everyone went home with a doggie bag of turkey dinner with desert!

Dan

Descant 11-29-2015 10:06 PM

Hmmm

So much to absorb here.

1. It sounds like your side of the family s under-represented. We would be happy to be "adoptees for a day" to help balance the load.

2. If this is the Gretchen I expect, she's unbeatable, however

3. Chef Elmer made a "Kentucky High Pie" at the Red Hill Inn years ago that was unbeatable. I don't see any Pecan Pie (the basis of KHP) in your spread.

Maybe the Welch Island folks should get together on July 4 and have an American Pie bacchanal? (We could have hot dogs too)

ishoot308 11-30-2015 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 254331)
So much to absorb here.

1. It sounds like your side of the family s under-represented. We would be happy to be "adoptees for a day" to help balance the load.

2. If this is the Gretchen I expect, she's unbeatable, however

3. Chef Elmer made a "Kentucky High Pie" at the Red Hill Inn years ago that was unbeatable. I don't see any Pecan Pie (the basis of KHP) in your spread.

Maybe the Welch Island folks should get together on July 4 and have an American Pie bacchanal? (We could have hot dogs too)

LOL!!

#1. Yes, my side was very under represented! Unfortunately my brother and his family live in South Carolina and were unable to attend.

#2. If this Gretchen you know lives in Gilford, my guess is yes it is one and the same! We will definitely be getting more of her goodies in the future without a doubt. She has a web site here...http://www.gilfordgourmet.com/

#3. "Kentucky High Pie" sounds like something Cheech and Chong would like! ;)...and Yes!, there actually were two different kinds of Pecan Pie. One was a Pecan Bourbon Ginger and the other was a plain old Pecan. Both were excellent!!

I had to look up what "bacchanal" meant...consider me in!!!

Thanks for the laugh!

Dan

dpg 12-01-2015 07:00 AM

Nice spread pretty impressive looking kitchen also, appears to be all high end stainless appliances.

tis 12-01-2015 09:09 AM

I think that is enough desserts for a hundred people!! Tell me you didn't eat them all!!

(the desserts not the people)