Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Wildlife (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Moose around Lake Winni (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14744)

Bmcgov78 08-29-2012 04:06 PM

Moose around Lake Winni

Ive been spending my summer on Lake Winni for 35 years and have yet to see a Moose other than when I drive North of Conway. So how often are they seen around Lake Winni during the summer monthes? And are they around alot more in the Winter On the LAke?

Slickcraft 08-29-2012 05:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We have seen moose next to the house a few times but we are a ways up the base of the Belknap Range. The two mangy ones were about 30' from the house.

We have seen several while hiking in the Belknap Range. We have never seen one around here along the road or down in the flat lands.

Quote:

Mooses Come Walking
by Arlo Guthrie

Mooses come walking over the hill
Mooses come walking, they rarely stand still
When mooses come walking they go where they will
When mooses come walking over the hill

Mooses look into your window at night
They look to the left and they look to the right
The mooses are smiling, they think it's a zoo
And that's why the mooses like looking at you

So, if you see mooses while lying in bed
It's best to just stay there pretending you're dead
The mooses will leave and you'll get the thrill
Of seeing the mooses go over the hill

tis 08-29-2012 05:27 PM

They are around the lake. We have seen them swimming a couple of times and on land a couple of times. But I still have to say it is rare to see them.

SteveA 08-29-2012 06:17 PM

A Few

This is a link to a sighting about 4 houses from my house in Gilford from 2 months ago. This area is right near the Gilford High School.

http://ulocal.wmur.com/_Moose-in-Gil...853/63455.html

My son works the grounds crew at Pheasant Ridge Golf Club in Gilford and saw them fairly often earlier in the summer. They seemed to be around in the very early morning hours.

They are around, but not plentiful.

hoopdawg 08-29-2012 08:37 PM

Ive been spending my summer on Lake Winni for 35 years and have yet to see a Moose other than when I drive North of Conway. So how often are they seen around Lake Winni during the summer monthes? And are they around alot more in the Winter On the LAke?

if we all knew how often they were seen than the moose hunting permits would all be filled !!! and every one would be eating moose !!!!!

Newbiesaukee 08-30-2012 02:11 AM

A few years ago we saw one near our house at the end of Long Island Road as well as one on Bean Road toward Center Sandwich.

Belmont Resident 08-30-2012 04:18 AM

swamp

Where there is swamp there are usually moose as they like that type of area.
We have them all over this area but you usually have to know where to look.
Off the beaten path works best either early morning or early evening.
Like those that call driving around in a truck hunting, you usually don't see many from a vehicle as they do tend to run off when a car approaches, so throw on some hiking shoes and get out in the woods near marsh or swamp areas and you stand a better chance.
This year seems to be a good year for them with the mild winter we had.
We have had 4 near miss drives up to Maine this year. Last drive up 2 weeks ago was the first time since spring we did not see at least a half dozen moose mixed in with fox, deer and raccoon.

granitebox 08-30-2012 09:38 AM

July on 140 between Gilmanton IW and Gilmanton at about 5 AM we saw a moose crossing the road. Only 2nd time we've seen in the past 25 years, they are there, just VERY elusive.

LakeSnake 08-30-2012 11:31 AM

Have only seen one on land twice in a life time of coming to the lake. Once was last year in my own back yard just as I sat down for breakfast. The other was over on Smith Point about 25 years ago just after dark it was walking down the road. I have see them swimming to/from islands a few times.

I know there is a secret place in the lakes region you can go to see them in numbers around dusk, but i forget where it is.:)

AC2717 08-30-2012 11:43 AM

we have pictures of one walking around our association a couple fo years ago, and then swimming on and off the beach. He was more than 8 feet tall as the pictures show him beside some of the building and being taller than the eves of some of the cottages

VitaBene 08-30-2012 12:58 PM

In the past few months I have had the pleasure of seeing 3- RT 25 Moultonborough, Rt3/25b near Squam, and Rt 25 Moutonborough near the Old Country Store

Sunbeam lodge 08-30-2012 02:12 PM

Moose tracks

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 190110)
In the past few months I have had the pleasure of seeing 3- RT 25 Moultonborough, Rt3/25b near Squam, and Rt 25 Moutonborough near the Old Country Store

They were in my yard off Veasey Shore road last night