Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How do you get 80 ft of mast under a 65 ft bridge? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13895)

AB_Monterey 04-17-2012 02:24 PM

How do you get 80 ft of mast under a 65 ft bridge?

http://www.wimp.com/mastbridge/

:eek:

BEAUTIFUL boat.

SIKSUKR 04-17-2012 04:02 PM

Thats unbelievable and very creative.Wow!

NoBozo 04-17-2012 05:24 PM

This is how you do it. The BAGS have water in them. Once you go under the bridges..you dump the water and the boat goes upright again. BRILLIANT. :) NB

Winnipesaukee Divers 04-17-2012 07:26 PM

Where is the 65' bridge on Winnipesaukee? How does this apply to the lake?

SAMIAM 04-18-2012 07:42 AM

Pretty cool.......might work on some of our bridges.

lawn psycho 04-18-2012 07:58 AM

Nice! That's one of the times you don't get a do over if your geometry is off:D

camp guy 04-18-2012 08:32 AM

80 ft mast under a 65 ft bridge...

Seeing is believing (I guess), but let's remember that bridge clearances are given at high water, and mast lengths are measured end to end. This having been said, the mast sets into the boat maybe about 6 ft below the deck (leaving 74 feet over the deck, and, if the boat passed under the 65 ft bridge at low tide (say, maybe 5 ft tide), then the clearance would be 70 ft, so the boat and mast would have to make it under with 74 ft over the water. Still, a very clever bit of boatmanship.

Maybe some of the math whizzes can calculate the angle of healing necessarty to clear the bridge.

brk-lnt 04-18-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camp guy (Post 180224)
Maybe some of the math whizzes can calculate the angle of healing necessarty to clear the bridge.

Assuming the bridge clearance really is 65ft, and the mast is 80ft end to end, with the base being roughly at water level (since it goes through the top of the boat and down into the hull) you'd need a list angle approximately 35.7 degrees.

pm203 04-18-2012 10:24 AM

Who would have figured.

Grant 04-18-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winnipesaukee Divers (Post 180194)

Troublemaker. :D

AB_Monterey 04-18-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winnipesaukee Divers (Post 180194)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k

no-engine 04-18-2012 04:06 PM

There are other threads and posts that really don't fully apply to lake. !!!

The other side of coin is: been in that situation during a transit of Inland Waterway. Quite interesting!

Does not matter if boat designer measures mast end to end, as long as proper calculations are made at water level, and I've seen on many specs for a mast height above water!

RailroadJoe 04-18-2012 05:57 PM

What is the clearance for the Rt 3 bridge at the Weirs? Can a sailboat get through there with no trouble?

NoBozo 04-18-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RailroadJoe (Post 180269)
What is the clearance for the Rt 3 bridge at the Weirs? Can a sailboat get through there with no trouble?

An obscure note on the Bizer chart says the clearence is 21 feet. NB

NoBozo 04-18-2012 06:21 PM

Just From My Own Experience

Those skippers that "Do The Waterway" with sailboats know Exactly how high their masts are from the Waterline. The key is waterline to top of mast.....including masthead instruments.. (Wind speed and relative wind direction... radio antenas...etc) :) NB

no-engine 04-18-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoBozo (Post 180272)
Those skippers that "Do The Waterway" with sailboats know Exactly how high their masts are from the Waterline. The key is waterline to top of mast.....including masthead instruments.. (Wind speed and relative wind direction... radio antenas...etc) :) NB

For sure, as I was crew, we knew well that measurement!

I think I had read somewhere of clearance 20-25'. Thanks

Some sailboats have an easy method to hinge the mast at deck fitting, in order to get under obstructions.

MAXUM 04-21-2012 02:27 PM

I can't imagine that suspending that much weight off the mast is a terribly good idea. Imagine that boat hitting a good sized wake while in a balancing like that?

NoBozo 04-21-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXUM (Post 180414)
I can't imagine that suspending that much weight off the mast is a terribly good idea. Imagine that boat hitting a good sized wake while in a balancing like that?

Not a problem at all. Sailboats sail day after day..week after week ....At Sea.."heeled"... (NOT Keeled) over like that under the Press of SAIL. The masts are "Stayed"..held up by their shrouds ..steel cables designed to spread the load on the mast.

Fore and aft "pitching" of the boat in seas, (waves) combined with lateral heeling under wind load from the sails is much more stressful to the MAST than going under a bridge with ballast bags over the side.

BTW: Looking at the waterway charts there are various bridges and obstacles that skippers will become aware of. Bigger boats usually "Go Outside" for sections of the waterway that have ...ISSUES. The other ISSUE for bigger boats in the waterway is "Draft" of the boat. The waterway is not all that deep in places...deeper draft...another reason to "Go Outside".

It all depends on how fast you need to get there..(Fla). OUTSIDE is the fastest way...for those inclined.....and experienced with offshore... :D NB

AB_Monterey 04-24-2012 01:46 PM

Fun day at the boat launch

Rather than start a new topic.

Adventures at the launch....

Sometimes, bad ideas are contagious.

http://www.bitoffun.com/video_vault/boat-launch-fun.htm

Steveo 04-25-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AB_Monterey (Post 180592)
Rather than start a new topic.

Adventures at the launch....

Sometimes, bad ideas are contagious.

http://www.bitoffun.com/video_vault/boat-launch-fun.htm

Too funny!!!

AB_Monterey 04-25-2012 05:37 PM

I kept saying, "No, they're not..." and they just kept on coming. :laugh:

Winnipesaukee Divers 04-26-2012 06:36 AM

Wait there's another way...

A few years back, I was at the Selectmen's meeting in Wolfeboro. I was there on WCYC business, but they were discussing the upcoming Smith River bridge renovations. Someone poised the question about raising the bridge to make better use of Back Bay. After a brief discussion one of the Selectmen said, "We don't need to raise the bridge, we'll just dig the channel deeper". To which the state engineer responded, "Why didn't we think of that..." and the audience clapped with approval of such a simple solution to the problem.

I rolled my eyes back in my head and thought "if this is what I have to work with... I might as well go home now.

Pineedles 04-26-2012 07:36 AM

That is too funny!:laugh:

RailroadJoe 04-26-2012 07:46 AM

Sure, the deeper the channel the bigger the submarine.

no-engine 05-05-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winnipesaukee Divers (Post 180700)
A few years back, I was at the Selectmen's meeting in Wolfeboro. I was there on WCYC business, but they were discussing the upcoming Smith River bridge renovations. Someone poised the question about raising the bridge to make better use of Back Bay. After a brief discussion one of the Selectmen said, "We don't need to raise the bridge, we'll just dig the channel deeper". To which the state engineer responded, "Why didn't we think of that..." and the audience clapped with approval of such a simple solution to the problem.

I rolled my eyes back in my head and thought "if this is what I have to work with... I might as well go home now.

Seriously? State engineer's answer joking or truly serious?
I know we all have minimal confidence in many State Officials.

RailroadJoe 05-05-2012 01:42 PM

Who is the smartest? The state engineer or the audience for clapping with approval.

no-engine 05-05-2012 02:18 PM

Well, the answer should be neither. All should leave.

If one has traveled to FL, we observe bridges over canals; the approach roads are built up and then down, just to allow clearance for certain boats.
The roads are often only a little above the water level. Forget the rise an fall of tides!
How about Tappan Zee Bridge over Hudson River, or Annapolis Bay Bridge, which rises to allow ocean going vessels under and then returns to ground level.
There's a few covered bridges here in NH which are designed with approaches and bridge higher then surrounding lands.