Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Kitty Belle history (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13345)

KPW 12-03-2011 06:22 PM

Kitty Belle history

Looking for history on the Kitty Belle. It was used as a ferry between Black Cat and mainland. It apparently has been on the lake since around 1946. Any info is appreciated.

skprbob 12-03-2011 10:26 PM

I'm not sure of dates involved, but Kitty Belle was later owned by Tom Hunter of Melvin Village. It is now owned by George Randall, aka Randall Maintenance. George formerly lived on Cow Island as the caretaker for the Idlewild Association. He moved to Long Island after the association eliminated the caretaker position, but still runs his business and Kitty Belle.

Kitty Belle is the only true side-wheeler on the lake and is operated hydraulically.

SteveA 12-04-2011 06:10 AM

Photo Post entry

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...hp?photo=10074

Maybe this will help jog some memories.

Sandy Island fan 12-04-2011 06:37 PM

More pictures of the Kitty Belle

3 Attachment(s)
Here - if I did this right - are some more pictures of the Kitty Belle, bringing our fire truck to Sandy Island. (It was a tight fit!) Not historic pictures, but a historic day for us on the Sandy Island Fire Brigade!

NoBozo 12-04-2011 07:29 PM

I think the major advantage this boat has is:..It's maneuverability. It can do a 360 in it's own length. Turn on a dime.

A TWIN screw..in the hands of an expert skipper would not be able to replicate this..Close..but not quite. :) NB

Jonas Pilot 12-04-2011 07:57 PM

Many years ago ...

... I talked to the skipper and asked if it was a fast boat. He said, no, but I can turn this on a dime and I can bring it to shore in any kind of weather.

Kamper 12-06-2011 06:33 PM

@ Sandy Island Fan,

I would disagree with you. I consider that an historic event, worthy of recording!

John A. Birdsall 12-06-2011 07:03 PM

amazing

I have been running a boat on the lake since about 1957 and have been to every cove on the lake. But I have never seen this sidewheeler. So I guess I have not seen everything. Nice ferry.

Barney Bear 12-08-2011 03:16 PM

Kitty Belle

We saw the Kitty Belle pass by our cottage on East Bear Island several times this past season. Reminds us of the car ferries on the Ohio River where we did our boating in previous years. Home port was Madison, Indiana, an old steamboatin' town.

Grant 12-09-2011 12:14 PM

Living in Melvin, we'd see the barge churning by almost daily when I was a kid in the '60s & '70s. In recent years, we didn't see it as much, but this year I saw it quite often. A real workhorse of the Lake.

ishoot308 12-09-2011 01:30 PM

For Sale?

When I saw George this past summer he told me the Kitty Belle was for sale...

Dan

Misty Blue 12-10-2011 08:56 PM

Captain Bill and the Belle...

If memory serves me right the first owners of the Belle were Bill and Filex (I think) Chipman from Black Cat island. Mr. "Chips" owned all of Black Cat back then and, I think, built the Belle to move things to the island. This is before the bridge.

My Big brother was the "ships boy" and helped Mr. Chips when he rented the barge out to the power company to bring power out to the islands on the Lake back in the 60's.

I remember being out on the Belle but not much more. It did look much bigger to the child than it does now.

So as you pass Black Cat island heading to Center Harbor look to the North. There is a small brown cottage that was Mr. and Mrs. Chips that has never changed since I was a kid. Think of the Belle still tied up there. A great piece of Winni. history.

Misty Blue

Cmjn98 12-29-2011 06:44 PM

New Owners

The Kitty Bell is currently owned By Rick Nolan of Cow Island and Kevin Beckett of Long island as of October 2011. The Boat is currently undergoing maintenance but will still serve the same purpose as it previously has. George Randall will still captain the Kitty Bell and is also helping with the work currently being done with her.https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i...535686144-1&zw

KPW 12-30-2011 11:04 AM

Kitty Belle set for restoration

9 Attachment(s)
The only true side wheeler on Lake Winnipesaukee, is currently at Fay's Boat Yard in Gilford. Total restoration is under way. It is scheduled to be back in the water as soon as the ice is out.

It is currently under the new ownership of Lake Winnipesaukee Island Property Management (LWIPM), in partnership with the newly formed Island Transport Services. LWIPM has been servicing island properties for many years. This will allow LWIPM to service customers in a more efficient and timely manner.

hemlock 01-01-2012 04:09 PM

Kitty Belle repairs

I was talking to Steve Hunter the son of Tom Hunter and he was saying that back in the 60s the Kitty Belle required repairs to the steel plates so they drove it to Lees Mill and pulled it out for repairs. This time its being done at the opposite end of the lake.

I remember when the Kitty Belle delivered the sand for our beach and the stone for our septic system on Cow Island back in 1967. We carried the stone to fill the trenches up the hill in metal buckets. It took us all summer.

Just Sold 01-02-2012 01:32 PM

KPW, Thanks for the photos. I saw the Kitty Belle myself at Fay's yesterday. Pretty impressive work boat. Took a couple of photos and posted them in photo post.

Just Sold 05-05-2012 08:04 PM

Looks like she is ready. All painted and I heard the engine start and run tooday. They also had the paddle wheel rotating and they checked the rudder movement. Looks to be outfitted for work too. What a transformation from last fall.
<TABLE class=alt1 border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=center>http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...m/100_2546.JPG</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

tis 05-06-2012 06:35 AM

Wow! She looks great! Will she be a workhorse again or just a pretty face now? I am so glad to see her brought back to life either way.

Jonas Pilot 05-06-2012 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 181374)
Wow! She looks great! Will she be a workhorse again or just a pretty face now?

I was wondering the same about you!

tis 05-06-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot (Post 181379)
I was wondering the same about you!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Well, I FEEL like a workhorse!!!!

KPW 05-06-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 181374)
Wow! She looks great! Will she be a workhorse again or just a pretty face now? I am so glad to see her brought back to life either way.

She will be a workhorse.

SIKSUKR 05-08-2012 12:13 PM

Great job of grooming on that Kitty.

surfnsnow 05-08-2012 12:53 PM

i remember back in the 70's they used to let us dive off of the roof - good times

KPW 05-10-2012 11:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by KPW (Post 181399)
She will be a workhorse.

What a transformation!!

Sal 05-11-2012 07:15 AM

Gotta ask . . .

What does "IWIPM" mean or stand for ??

Rattlesnake Gal 05-11-2012 07:24 AM

Kitty Belle

She has always been a real looker because of the special kind of boat she is. Now she is an extra special beautiful craft! I love that this old gal is still on the lake and that she is being so well cared for!

We first caught sight of the Kitty Belle in August of 2006. I am so glad we have more background for her now!

Kitty Belle - http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...hp?photo=10074
(On my phone, so I will have to insert picture at a later time.)

SIKSUKR 05-11-2012 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sal (Post 181763)

I WIPM?Sounds like a scene in one of those movies that I've never watched.:DWhats that boat being used for?:laugh:

Just Sold 05-11-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sal (Post 181763)

"Lake Winnipesaukee Island Property Management"

I found this web site: http://web.mac.com/island64/iWeb/lwipm/Welcome.html

Just Sold 05-14-2012 01:10 PM

From what I saw on Saturday the Kitty Belle is not far from going in the lake. They had done additional metal work on the bottom of the hull and were painting it. I could not see any other obvious work that was needed to be complete but did not ask anyone either. I would guess that you will see her out on the lake very soon.

Barney Bear 05-14-2012 02:05 PM

Uplifting Sight

As we were leaving Fay's Boat Yard this morning, a crane was preparing to lift the Kitty Belle onto a trailer.

Just Sold 05-14-2012 02:59 PM

I think they would put the Kitty Belle in the channel and drive her out as that is how she got there. I hope someone posts a photo or 2.:)

Cmjn98 05-20-2012 09:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Kitty Belle is In the water, Being stored where it was at Cow island and still doing the same services as it previously did. For information call 603.707.6674

Rattlesnake Gal 05-21-2012 06:00 AM

Thanks!

Kitty Belle looks absolutely beautiful!

ishoot308 06-07-2012 08:33 PM

Kitty Belle At Ragged!!

1 Attachment(s)
Went for a ride this afternoon to Ragged Island. Lo and behold what do I see but the Kitty Belle parked proudly by the docks! She must have been hired to help with the repair of the docks. Seems a fitting job for this historic boat on this historic island!!

Fantastic!

Dan