Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Overturned RIB (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28959)

ishoot308 07-20-2023 07:15 AM

Overturned RIB

Coming into Glendale this morning, I saw a submerged and overturned large RIB boat with dual motors in front of Marine Patrol. It was completely upside down and it actually looked like a Marine Patrol boat but couldn't be certain.

Anyone know anything about this??

Dan

garysanfran 07-20-2023 07:35 AM

WOW!

Not easy to flip one of those.

Slickcraft 07-20-2023 07:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Overturned boat to the left of a MP utility boat. Also another boat at the MP dock, don't know if related.

The morning WMUR news reported as serous incident near Round Is but no details on the web site yet.

Does not sound good.

Alan

WinnisquamZ 07-20-2023 08:46 AM

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cu66vOKganJ/

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

LIforrelaxin 07-20-2023 08:49 AM

Just did a quick google search and turned up nothing, will be interesting to hear details, hopefully no one was hurt with what ever happened.

WinnisquamZ 07-20-2023 08:50 AM

Overturned RIB

file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/58/08/1D1E5D13-8BB3-48A6-A48D-285299310392/IMG_4906.jpeg

Quote:

On Wednesday, July 19, 2023, at approximately 10:25 p.m.,
E911 received a call of a person in the water on Lake Winnipesaukee, yelling for help while a boat that was circling in the area. The call came from the area of Round Island in the town of Gilford.
Two Marine Patrol Officers who were on patrol immediatelv responded to the area. Upon arrival, they found a serious boating crash with two victims in the water. The Officers were able to rescue the two victims from the water, assisting them onto the patrol boat. The victims were then transferred onto a Gilford Fire Department boat that also responded to the scene. At the same time, the Officers were able to locate the uncontrolled boat formerly occupied by the victims, still running and wandering erratically on the lake.
Due to the dangerousness of the runaway boat, the two Officers made a valiant and treacherous attempt to get the boat stopped by throwing a line into the water in its path, to entangle the propeller (s) and stall it, get it to stop, or at least to slow it down so that it could not cause further injury to persons or damage to property. After the first attempt proved unsuccessful, a second attempt was made.
While making the second attempt to stop the driverless boat, it made an unexpected turn toward the patrol boat. Despite an evasive maneuver, the Marine Patrol boat was struck at its stern, causing it to capsize. Both Officers were thrown overboard and then momentarily pinned under the boat, which was then being dragged by the other vessel.
Fortunately, both officers were able to escape and made it to the surface.
#NHSP #MarinePatrol is aware that good Samaritans, not yet unidentified, courageously involved themselves in the dangerous situation, both assisting Marine Patrol Officers in getting out of the water and by boarding the private vessel, that was now slowed by dragging the Marine Patrol vessel and stopping it.

ishoot308 07-20-2023 09:03 AM

Wow!

Wow!...That's crazy! I saw the blue lights go by my place on Welch at that time last night.

I sure hope everyone involved is OK! Kudos to Marine Patrol for their efforts and the good Samaritans who helped out and possibly saved lives!!

Dan

Woodsy 07-20-2023 09:16 AM

Ugh... People need to use their kill switch lanyards! Hopefully no serious injuries!

Woodsy

Harry Heffalump 07-20-2023 09:31 AM

https://www.wmur.com/article/lake-wi...e-720/44599678

thinkxingu 07-20-2023 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 385637)
Ugh... People need to use their kill switch lanyards!Hopefully no serious injuries!

Woodsy

Like, that's all it would've taken to prevent this and the similar situation a couple weeks ago, right?

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

LIforrelaxin 07-20-2023 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 385637)
Ugh... People need to use their kill switch lanyards! Hopefully no serious injuries!

Woodsy

Woodsy I don't disagree with this, however not all boats are equipped with one. I don't know when it became, (or if it is yet) a requirement for all new boats to have them installed.

I was very surprised when I bought me new to me pontoon last year, and it didn't have one.... it was a 2004..... Surprised because my previous pontoon a 1999 had one, and so did my speed boat which was a 2001.....

End of the day, yes they are a good safety item to use when available. However the bigger problem, is operators ending up in situations where it becomes necessary to begin with. That doesn't mean careless operation necessarily, I never judge a situation until I understand all the facts. Medical emergency rouge wave action etc. etc can all present situations that we never expect.....

ishoot308 07-20-2023 10:28 AM

No Speculation

Lets wait to hear the official report before we speculate on what transpired to cause this...It could have been anything...

Right now the only thing that matters is hoping all victims involved are not seriously injured.

Dan

bumpye 07-20-2023 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin (Post 385640)
Woodsy I don't disagree with this, however not all boats are equipped with one. I don't know when it became, (or if it is yet) a requirement for all new boats to have them installed.

I was very surprised when I bought me new to me pontoon last year, and it didn't have one.... it was a 2004..... Surprised because my previous pontoon a 1999 had one, and so did my speed boat which was a 2001.....

End of the day, yes they are a good safety item to use when available. However the bigger problem, is operators ending up in situations where it becomes necessary to begin with. That doesn't mean careless operation necessarily, I never judge a situation until I understand all the facts. Medical emergency rouge wave action etc. etc can all present situations that we never expect.....

Also called a “safety lanyard” or “engine kill switch,” it's designed to shut off a boat's engine if the operator is thrown from the helm. A new federal law that took effect April 1, 2021 requires the devices to be used on all personal watercraft (PWCs) and most powerboats less than 26 feet in length.

Woodsy 07-20-2023 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin (Post 385640)

My boat was manufactured in 2000 and it has a safety lanyard.... it probably has to with what power the engine is rated at. A lot of the States that require lanyards have a thrust definition. It appears to be a new Cost Guard regulation (not applicable to Winni).

Woodsy

LakeTimes 07-20-2023 12:00 PM

Flipping it back over: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cu7Cq-SATKh/

Island-Ho 07-20-2023 12:35 PM

Round Island Accident

At approximately 10:15pm Wednesday night a go-fast boat (speed unknown) struck Nipple Rock with a big crash , knocking the teat (Flashing Light) off the rock and ejecting the two passengers. The boat continued on at slow speed, circling off the east side of Round Island, for approximately 90 minutes before it was stopped. Now you can continue the rest of the story from the above posts.

TiltonBB 07-20-2023 12:58 PM

Wmur

Video with better pictures.

Woodsy 07-20-2023 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Island-Ho (Post 385647)
At approximately 10:15pm Wednesday night a go-fast boat (speed unknown) struck Nipple Rock with a big crash , knocking the teat (Flashing Light) off the rock and ejecting the two passengers. The boat continued on at slow speed, circling off the east side of Round Island, for approximately 90 minutes before it was stopped. Now you can continue the rest of the story from the above posts.

Must have been a glancing blow as the boat is still afloat @ MP Headquarters.

Woodsy

Descant 07-20-2023 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Island-Ho (Post 385647)
At approximately 10:15pm Wednesday night a go-fast boat (speed unknown) struck Nipple Rock with a big crash , knocking the teat (Flashing Light) off the rock ....

My 1962 Public Utilities Commission chart shows Nipple Rock (specifically, clearly, labelled) to be close to halfway or one third down the east side of Round Island. My recent Bizer chart does not identify Nipple Rock, although it shows rocks in the area, and a black spar near where Nipple Rock is. It also shows a red tear drop shape designating a fixed light, but it appears to go to a different rock. I don't use a GPS, but is it possible, on a GPS, that the presentation would lead you to think the light was in a different position? PUC shows one rock, Bizer shows two.

LIforrelaxin 07-20-2023 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 385649)
Must have been a glancing blow as the boat is still afloat @ MP Headquarters.

Woodsy

I would agree, although I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it wasn't really nipple rock that they hit. There are some other rocks over in that area and if you went to the wrong side of things well there is stuff to hit......

Once they have a report out it should be interesting to read....

ishoot308 07-20-2023 03:01 PM

Nipple

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin (Post 385651)
I would agree, although I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it wasn't really nipple rock that they hit. There are some other rocks over in that area and if you went to the wrong side of things well there is stuff to hit......

Once they have a report out it should be interesting to read....

Definitely hit nipple rock...A close friend spoke to one of the Samaritans who confirmed.

Dan

sunset on the dock 07-20-2023 05:51 PM

Driverless boat strikes, capsizes Marine Patrol boat on Winnipesaukee

I'd like to know more details about this boating accident which happened last night at 10:30 P.M.on Winni:

https://www.unionleader.com/news/saf...18f7c27b1.html

DEJ 07-20-2023 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunset on the dock (Post 385658)
I'd like to know more details about this boating accident which happened last night at 10:30 P.M.on Winni:

For details you can call Marine Patrol at the following number. (603) 293-2037

TiltonBB 07-20-2023 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunset on the dock (Post 385658)

You didn't want to read the forum or follow local news?

sunset on the dock 07-20-2023 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 385664)
You didn't want to read the forum or follow local news?

There was not a lot of detail regarding what exactly happened such that both, not just one, occupants had been thrown from the boat.

LoveLakeLife 07-20-2023 09:57 PM

I wonder if the boat hit Nipple Rock in the dark.

ishoot308 07-20-2023 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife (Post 385668)

Yes, that appears to be the case.

Dan

steve-on-mark 07-20-2023 10:47 PM

I checked both sides...other than a little peeling paint, it looks good.[emoji6]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...14216dcf61.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...69939cef52.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

ApS 07-21-2023 08:31 AM

Speculate Much? Guilty Bad Ice Cube?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 385649)
Must have been a glancing blow as the boat is still afloat @ MP Headquarters. Woodsy

1) The difficulty in striking Nipple Rock any other way is nearly insurmountable!

2) A perfect direct-strike would be made easier by mounting a flashing light on top of Nipple Rock. :rolleye1:

3) Navigating one of these boats is hazardous because the helmsman sits behind an extremely long foredeck, which obscures his (her) vision forward. (And gets even worse when slowing).

4) If the MP rope was intended to "entangle", shouldn't the MPs have been educated to the fact that many boats in this class have rope-cutting "labbed" propellers? (And aren't even safe around flesh and bone--when stopped?)

Woodsy 07-21-2023 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 385676)
1) The difficulty in striking Nipple Rock any other way is nearly insurmountable!

2) A perfect direct-strike would be made easier by mounting a flashing light on top of Nipple Rock. :rolleye1:

3) Navigating one of these boats is hazardous because the helmsman sits behind an extremely long foredeck, which obscures his (her) vision forward. (And gets even worse when slowing).

4) If the MP rope was intended to "entangle", shouldn't the MPs have been educated to the fact that many boats in this class have rope-cutting "labbed" propellers? (And aren't even safe around flesh and bone--when stopped?)

I agree that a direct strike on Nipple Rock would be difficult to pull off... as we all know, human nature finds a way!

Navigating a boat like this is no different than any other boat. The slightly longer foredeck is no hinderance to visibility while on plane or while coming off plane. The foredeck can be an issue while getting on plane, but thats one of the reasons why boats like this have trim tabs... to keep the bow rise down while planing off.

Labbed propellers? on a 29' Baja? Highly unlikely given the extremely high cost of labbed prop. ($1500+) Also, for those who don't know what a labbed propeller is, it is basically a stock propeller that has had its blades thinned and trued to pitch. This allows the propeller to have less 'slip" while going thru the water. So while yes they are little sharper than a normal propeller, they can still be entangled with a rope or net.

The real issue here is that the operator wasn't wearing his ECOS lanyard. If they were, the boat would have stopped after they were ejected. I always wear my ECOS lanyard when operating my boat on plane.

Woodsy

ishoot308 07-21-2023 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 385678)
The real issue here is that the operator wasn't wearing his ECOS lanyard. If they were, the boat would have stopped after they were ejected. I always wear my ECOS lanyard when operating my boat on plane.

Woodsy

Curious how you know this for a fact?…. While I agree that’s what it looks like, I have also seen faulty ECOS switches and have had the need to replace two over my years of boating because they stopped functioning or weren’t reliable….

Let’s wait and see what the final investigation reveals about the root cause as everything else until then is simply assumptions with no basis in fact…

Dan

Island-Ho 07-21-2023 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife (Post 385668)
:D

Yes, I think it was dark at 10:15 that night.:D They even had a flashing light on top of the rock to aim for, but it got knocked off by the boat and floated away.

ApS 07-22-2023 10:19 AM

Thanks, Good Samaritans...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 385678)

Woodsy

Isn't the real issue here the operator's Failure to Keep a Proper Watch?

ITD 07-22-2023 11:37 AM

Are we going to get the rest of the story here?

WinnisquamZ 07-22-2023 11:46 AM

Are you waiting on Paul Harvey?

ITD 07-22-2023 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 385728)
Are you waiting on Paul Harvey?

That would be awesome for this story.

LIforrelaxin 07-24-2023 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 385725)
Isn't the real issue here the operator's Failure to Keep a Proper Watch?

APS as with most accidents there are several contributing factors.... I think Woodsy was pointing out that if the ECOS lanyard, the boat being out of control making the situation worse wouldn't have been a problem. There is no doubt that Keeping a Proper watch was a key factor in the accident itself....

wentworthwhitbreadIII 07-25-2023 01:19 PM

Thank goodness for the unnamed Good Samaritan.