Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rattlesnake Island Alligator (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12538)

Tank151 07-10-2011 03:18 PM

Rattlesnake Island Alligator

Does anyone know what happened to the Rattlesnake Island Alligator? Drove by there today on the boat and didn't see it there mounted on the Jetty wall.
Hope he/she wasn't stolen!

Tank

Rattlesnake Guy 07-12-2011 06:55 AM

It has been gone for a while. At least gone this season.

Jeanzb1 07-12-2011 07:51 AM

Speaking of alligators, when you are on the west side of the lake, say, over near Ames Farm, and when you can see the entirety of Rattlesnake Island, we think it looks totally like an alligator, and not a rattlesnake!!! The southern end of the island is a long, flat snout -- a couple of bumps in the middle -- and then a long, flat tail at the northern end!

Rattlesnake Gal 07-12-2011 08:31 AM

Rattlesnake Island Profile

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanzb1 (Post 162766)
Speaking of alligators, when you are on the west side of the lake, say, over near Ames Farm, and when you can see the entirety of Rattlesnake Island, we think it looks totally like an alligator, and not a rattlesnake!!! The southern end of the island is a long, flat snout -- a couple of bumps in the middle -- and then a long, flat tail at the northern end!

Many of us think the very same thing. ;)

Way back in time, the island was supposedly quite populated with Timber Rattlesnakes, which is how the island got it's name. There were accounts of people often seeing these reptiles sunning themselves along the shore. History books tell us that the island was razed at one point in time to get rid of the snakes, which of course didn't work as they can slither deep into the rocky crevices and stay protected.

I recently met a long time islander who related the story, which he was told from Mr. Robert's of Robert's Cove, who is no longer with us and lived to be 90 something, that Razorback Hogs were brought to the island for a few years to get rid of the rattlesnakes. This certainly could be true because I found this copy of Boy's Life, which describes how Razorback Hogs take heavy toll on snakes, and does not hesitate to attack the larges Diamondback Rattlesnake.

Barney Bear 07-12-2011 08:36 AM

Beware of the Lizard

Approaching from the north, one can see a large granite reptile guarding the beach at the large residence on the east side of Mink Island. :eek:

spider22 07-12-2011 08:41 AM

RG About how long ago was it that there were rattlesnakes on the island?

Rattlesnake Gal 07-12-2011 09:17 AM

Rattlesnakes Last Seen

According to Bruce Heald, rattlesnakes were last seen at late as 1946.

When I hike on the island, I do take care and pay attention in the areas where a rattlesnake might be found. Just because no one has seen one for so many years, doesn't mean they are completely gone. I also know that snakes swim. That is how so many Caribbean Islands got them. If you scroll down the page on the NH Timber Rattlesnake website, to Where you may find A Timber Rattlesnake - we have the perfect environment for them. :eek:

Rattlesnake skins and artifacts from the island and surrounding area can be seen in the Libby Museum, located on Route 109 in Wolfeboro.

MAXUM 07-12-2011 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal (Post 162772)

I recently met a long time islander who related the story, which he was told from Mr. Robert's of Robert's Cove, who is no longer with us and lived to be 90 something, that Razorback Hogs were brought to the island for a few years to get rid of the rattlesnakes.

Wow that's pretty interesting as I never knew that those hogs took out snakes like that. Then again they are pretty nasty and aggressive too if you've ever happened to stumble across one in the wild best to stay well clear of them as they can be very unpredictable. However, that said those hogs are darn good eating albeit a challenge to hunt... so get rid of the snakes and have fresh bacon at the same time, win win! I really hate snakes! Smoked wild boar, YUMMY!

IslandRadio 07-12-2011 09:56 AM

I was hiking the island the other day with IslandPrincess, and we came upon a snake, where poor I.P. promptly jumped about 10 feet and let out a pretty good startled exclamation :rolleye2: It was just a little garden snake. Never have seen either a rattler or a rattler's skin up on "Rattlesnake Mountain", and I hike it a lot, on all sides and along different paths.

But, one is always careful, just in case :coolsm:

The Alligator from the point was looking fairly tired of late, and maybe has gone in for some refurbishments. There was a pretty cool looking "Uncle Sam" out there on the 4th.

Regards,

Steve

JMR 07-12-2011 10:36 AM

Alligator RIP

At the Rattlesnake Island Assn meeting it was mentioned that the alligator had fallen apart from old age and would not be returning soon. Approximate cost to replace was $4,000 or so, which is why it was not returning. Alternate ideas for replacement are being sought.

cillovely 07-12-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

I also know that snakes swim.
Ewwww, I've seen one swimming before on the Charles River down here and it creeps me out. I'm a bit like Indiana Jones that way, I don't like snakes.

That's why I like my pool, the Lake I'll view from the boat. :)

Barney Bear 07-12-2011 10:45 AM

Pigs on Rattlesnake Island

Did the pigs retire to Pig Island when their services were no longer required? :emb:

Gearhead 07-12-2011 11:27 AM

Do razorback hogs eat chipmunks? Do timber rattlers eat chipmunks?

Rattlesnake Gal 07-20-2011 09:08 AM

So Sad! He was a Beauty!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMR (Post 162799)
At the Rattlesnake Island Assn meeting it was mentioned that the alligator had fallen apart from old age and would not be returning soon. Approximate cost to replace was $4,000 or so, which is why it was not returning. Alternate ideas for replacement are being sought.

Thankfully he will live on in the PhotoPost Gallery

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...y_05_078_2.jpg
Rattlesnake Alligator by Rattlesnake Gal
Full View

Surprisingly, a Gallery search only comes up with two photos of it.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...-02-07_012.jpg
Alligator On Rattlesnake by Sunset Bob
Full View

Rattlesnake Gal 07-20-2011 10:16 AM

Rattlesnakes on the Island

While recently rereading my 1968 copy of Follow the Mount by Bruce Heald I came across this excerpt about Rattlesnake Island from the Travelogue 1968:
SLEEPERS ISLAND - Depending upon the course of the ship, left or right is Sleepers Island, formerly known as Little Rattlesnake Island. The island on our right is Rattlesnake and to the aptness of its name, it is believed to be infested by reptiles.
Some say that they have seen these reptiles basking in the sun upon high ledges on the island. Others feel that no one had really shown proof of their existence. Regardless, it was long hoped by past owners to establish a game preserve and indeed, now many deer can be spotted on the rocky ledges along its two mile length.

Even today, few people dare set foot on this island because of wild game, but more because of the reptiles in the crags of the rocky ledges. According to early owners, Dr. Arthur Libby, son of the founder of Libby Museum, was the only man who was supposed to have been bitten by these snakes, and he recovered. They tell us that "Doc" Libby used to trap them and send them all over the United States. Which story do you want to believe?
This island is one of the largest in the lake and has the highest elevation of any of the islands, rising to a height of 390 feet above the lake. The elevation of the lake itself is 504 feet above sea level.
A first edition copy of Follow the Mount can be found at Abe Books for $40.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...view_Clean.jpg
Rattlesnake Island
An early postcard of The Broads side of Rattlesnake Island.
Unused, no date. (Would have cost 1 cent to mail.)

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...ttlesnake1.jpg
Rattlesnake Island from the gallery of McDude