Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   William Tell Inn (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10754)

ishoot308 08-28-2010 08:42 AM

William Tell Inn

Had the opportunity to visit the William Tell Inn last night for dinner. We haven't been there in quite a few years and decided to check it out. One word describes it... terrific!

From the moment we stepped in we were greeted by the owner in a warm wonderful way that just started the evening out right.

Our server was professional and attentive. We were quite impressed with the entire staff there and it was quite apparent they were not "seasonal" help. They were very busy and plenty of waitstaff was on hand and everything was served with perfect timing.

For appetizers I had the onion soup which was simply delicious and my wife had the shrimp and scallop Rockefeller which was also very good.

My wife and I both had the weiner schnitzel. It was fabulous and no knife was necessary. The veal cut like a butter with just a fork. Portions were big and a take home bag was required.

For desert we shared what was called "snowballs". This is two large scoops of really good vanilla ice cream which is rolled in toasted coconut. They then place this on top of chocolate tobler sauce with a fresh strawbeery and home made whip cream as garnishment It was just to die for!!

We will definitely be going back to the William Tell Inn!!

Dan

sky_nh 08-28-2010 09:38 AM

It's always great to read about a local restaurant that deserves a rave review. Thanks!

-- Sky :)

no-engine 08-31-2010 07:31 PM

William Tell Inn

They are a special couple! With special food and service!

SAMIAM 09-01-2010 10:05 AM

The "Tell" has always been famous for the tobler cake.....at least the one in Campton was.When we were in the catering business Locals around Plyouth and the valley used to have them make tobler wedding cakes which were a huge hit.

donnamatrix 09-01-2010 02:09 PM

Willialm Tell - in Alton, right?

I assume your post is about the William Tell Inn in Alton on Route 11, owned and operated by Peter and Sue-great couple. Great food. Try the appetizer that is little veal "meatballs" in a cream sauce served in puff pastry. OMG. It's a great place for a party also, they have a private room upstairs. We did a holiday party with about 22 people, and we all ordered from the menu, no special meals, it was terrific.

VitaBene 09-02-2010 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donnamatrix (Post 139013)
I assume your post is about the William Tell Inn in Alton on Route 11, owned and operated by Peter and Sue-great couple. Great food. Try the appetizer that is little veal "meatballs" in a cream sauce served in puff pastry. OMG. It's a great place for a party also, they have a private room upstairs. We did a holiday party with about 22 people, and we all ordered from the menu, no special meals, it was terrific.

I do get confused- are the two William Tell's (Alton and Campton) related?

donnamatrix 09-02-2010 03:25 PM

Don't think they are related

VB: I don't believe they are related, maybe in the past, but not in last 8-10 years.

WakeUp 09-07-2010 05:02 AM

First Time To The William Tell Inn....

It was a fantastic experience from start to finish!

lunch lady 09-19-2010 03:06 PM

William Tell

Try it for their Sunday brunch. Lots ofgreat egg dishes but also they have some of the dinner items but smaller. You really can go wrong.:

Lakesrider 09-22-2010 07:00 PM

Why is it that when I drive by it looks like has been closed for years? They need to make it look more inviting from the outside....Just saying.

Rattlesnake Guy 09-22-2010 07:40 PM

I agree with you there. I was afraid to go in for years. Then once we tried it we now consider it our favorite. The inside is much nicer. The people are friendly and the food is the best.

Bigstan 09-22-2010 08:26 PM

the people are the key

I made the same post 2-3 years ago - 'they look like they are still in business but there is never anyone there'.

However, they Rock!!! All the food we ever tried is great, and the family that runs it is uber-friendlly - do yourself a favor and go!

Lakepilot 09-23-2010 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakesrider (Post 140344)
Why is it that when I drive by it looks like has been closed for years? They need to make it look more inviting from the outside....Just saying.

I always have the same thought. I find it hard to rationalize the comments on this site with the visual impact on the road.

Rattlesnake Gal 09-23-2010 08:14 AM

William Tell Inn

The William Tell Inn was packed last Friday night.

It's Octoberfest at the inn! :liplick: Try it, you'll like it!

Gearhead 09-23-2010 11:54 AM

We live in Alton and we've never been there. whenever I drive by, I don't see very many cars. I've often wondered if they were still open too.

Maybe we'll give it a shot. I like Pferdesteak. :liplick:

nicole 09-23-2010 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal (Post 140376)
The William Tell Inn was packed last Friday night.

It's Octoberfest at the inn! :liplick: Try it, you'll like it!

I looked on their website but just saw the regular menu. I am guessing since you said it was packed, does that mean you ate there on Friday? If so, do you recall if they had the fondue like they did last year for Octoberfest? Thanks:D

IslandRadio 09-23-2010 03:47 PM

The William Tell Inn (Alton) is *UNBELIEVABLE* !! The food is wonderful (my favorite is the Pork Oreso (spelling is WRONG, but you'll figure it out when you're there!).

The folks are friendly and obviously are dedicated to what they are doing.

Have been there many times - never during the Octoberfest.. this year, for sure!

Regards,

Steve

Lakesrider 09-24-2010 07:38 PM

If you say so. I'll take the wife and give it a try.....

Your not messin' with me now are you?:D

gravy boat 09-24-2010 08:57 PM

Tell

Truly wonderful year after year. Wonderful owners. We had our wedding there
a little more than 6 years ago. Hosts are gracious and food consistently excellent.

Been going there since before they opened....I was their first employee way back when and have great memories. It does make me feel old to remember that Susie was pregnant with Rene when I worked there... :-)

Gb

upthesaukee 09-24-2010 09:09 PM

Went tonight

Celebrated wife's birthday tonight. Food great as always.

Keeping the feeling of being "never being open" in mind, I counted cars on the way in (18 besides ours) and 17 on the way out. We were there from 6 to 730 and didn't see many open tables. I think that the layout of the parking lot makes it seem that there aren't many cars in the lot, but the area in front of the restaurant are somewhat hidden by bushes. Also, not being open early in the day for lunch tends to make it a later arriving crowd, IMHO.

Anyway, very good food, and if they have the apple strudel for dessert, ya gotta try it. It is so light and flaky mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Rattlesnake Guy 09-27-2010 10:57 PM

They have an appetizer which is veal meat balls in a mushroom sauce over puff pastry. I could live on it for a week.

ghfromaltonbay 09-29-2010 03:32 PM

Oktoberfest menu at William Tell

We were there last Wed. night for my birthday dinner and had 6 o'clock reservations. The place was almost full (1 or 2 empty tables in the bar area). My family loves the early bird specials (all dinners $10.95) from 5-6:30. The Oktoberfest specials were great, including those on the early bird menu. For dessert we had the apple strudel which is only available during Oktoberfest. It was wunderbar! The Bosserts are terrific hosts. We have never had a bad experience there. Can't wait to get back there this winter.

donnamatrix 09-29-2010 03:44 PM

WT is great!

I remember, many years ago, their pet black and white cat had a preferential seat in the bar...he/she was quite elderly back then, and a couple years later passed away. As far as I know they have not gotten another kitty to be their vice president of security, but it was a nice, homey touch. Plus the food is to die for.

Excalibur 10-04-2010 11:54 AM

First Time there

Checked out the William Tell this weekend for the first time. What a great place, the service was friendly and the atmosphere was enjoyable. The meal was top notch and looking forward to the next time.

It was a real busy place, we left at 9 PM and the dinning room was still full.

bigdog 10-06-2010 07:01 PM

William Tell Inn

Does anyone know if the William Tell Inn will be open during the winter?

If so, what days will they be open for business?
I suspect only the week-ends?

Thanks.
BD

RI Swamp Yankee 10-06-2010 07:46 PM

This is from their website:
http://www.thewilliamtellinn.com/

Now open
Tuesday through Sunday

We will be open
Tuesday October 5th & 12th

Early Bird Dinner Specials
Tuesday - Saturday
5 to 6:30
Sunday 3 to 6:30
Our Gift Certificates make the perfect gift!

Tuesday - Saturday
Open at 5 pm
Sunday Brunch noon - 3
Sunday open 12 to close

Barney Bear 07-08-2011 09:46 AM

The William Tell Inn

My first mate and I went with friends from Welch Island to the early-bird session at the William Tell Inn last Sunday. As usual, the experience was wonderful. The special salad is almost a meal!!! We will return again soon when the relatives "invade". Our WI friends have been there several times this season. The hostess [owner -- husband is the chef] is charming. We highly recommend this fine restaurant.

Jeanzb1 09-09-2011 07:55 AM

Had their vegetable rissotto a few weeks ago. FABULOUS. And, of course, my husband always orders the Sauerbraten with red cabbage. However, we couldn't agree more that they realllllllly should re-landscape the front of the restaurant. The overgrown bushes need ripping out and the building needs paint. That would go a long way towards increased revenues. Are you reading this, Sue and Peter??????? :look:

RLW 09-09-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanzb1 (Post 168255)
Had their vegetable rissotto a few weeks ago. FABULOUS. And, of course, my husband always orders the Sauerbraten with red cabbage. However, we couldn't agree more that they realllllllly should re-landscape the front of the restaurant. The overgrown bushes need ripping out and the building needs paint. That would go a long way towards increased revenues. Are you reading this, Sue and Peter??????? :look:

http://i43.tinypic.com/b4vwqe.gifhttp://i43.tinypic.com/b4vwqe.gifMy wife enjoy the restaurant, but commented when we went by yesterday that the outside really needs some of their loving care as they give their food. I do not like using this word, but it looks like a dump on the outside.:)

fpartri497 09-10-2011 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee (Post 141393)
This is from their website:
http://www.thewilliamtellinn.com/

Now open
Tuesday through Sunday

We will be open
Tuesday October 5th & 12th

Early Bird Dinner Specials
Tuesday - Saturday
5 to 6:30
Sunday 3 to 6:30
Our Gift Certificates make the perfect gift!

Tuesday - Saturday
Open at 5 pm
Sunday Brunch noon - 3

Sunday open 12 to close

Oct. 5th and 12th are not a Tuesday as stated above. It is a wednsday :D

ishoot308 09-10-2011 06:55 AM

October Only Strudel!

Just an fyi... Only in October can you get the William Tells desert specialty "Apple Strudel". If you have never had their strudel I HIGHLY recommend going over to the Tell in October and take advantage of it. It is absolutely wonderful!

Dan

riverat 09-10-2011 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fpartri497 (Post 168360)
Oct. 5th and 12th are not a Tuesday as stated above. It is a wednsday :D

that was posted in 2010