Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sunrise and Sunset 2-7-12 (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13590)

SteveA 02-07-2012 09:10 PM

Sunrise and Sunset 2-7-12

2 Attachment(s)
Took these today, sunrise this morning and sunset tonight.

And, no thats not a real dog. Someone constructed him from plywood, painted him black, and set him out on the beach. :) Makes a nice prop tho... :D:D

Attachment 5775

Went back this evening for the full moon rising. Haven't figured out night shots yet, so the moon is looking a little "yellow".

Attachment 5776

ishoot308 02-07-2012 09:19 PM

Great Pics

Awesome photos Steve!!

Thanks for sharing!!

Dan

Resident 2B 02-07-2012 11:01 PM

Steve,

Two ways to handle the non-white moon.

First, within the camera take the AWB off and white balance (spot) on the moon. The second is in the computer with photoshop. If you have a RAW image, you can white balance on the moon. Not sure if this can be done if the format is in .jpg as I do most Photoshop editing on RAW formatted images. My guess is it can, but I have not done it.

In special shots like those you posted, I shoot in both RAW and .jpg at the same time. It eats up the CF card capacity, but it makes editing so much easier.

All that said, great shots. They are just fine as they are. Great job!

R2B

Belmont Resident 02-08-2012 06:32 AM

Nice

The night shot looks brighter then the day shot. Shows how bright the full moon is.

Jeanzb1 02-08-2012 08:01 AM

Thank you for those great pictures, SteveA. They make us VERY anxious to get back to the lake! Two and one-half months and counting.....

jack1706 02-08-2012 08:48 AM

Hey Steve A.?????

:(
That's my Wolf....
Just wondering how it is you went on my property ?
It's not wood.

DRH 02-08-2012 08:55 AM

Moonrise last night was quite spectacular. I took a photo of it a few minutes after SteveA took his shot, when it was a little higher in the sky. This was taken at 6:27 PM.

http://echoshores.com/Photos/Moon_020712_700.jpg

John A. Birdsall 02-08-2012 09:38 AM

moon shot

Hey that looked like Romney looking over the lake. Nice photos":laugh:

Bear247 02-08-2012 10:58 AM

Very nice picture...

SteveA 02-08-2012 12:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jack1706 (Post 175769)
:(
That's my Wolf....
Just wondering how it is you went on my property ?
It's not wood.

Jack,

All of the shots where taken from outside the "no trespassing" signs. I would be happy to send you the original shots that I edited. I assure you, I stayed outside the black fence. You can see in this unedited shot the top of the black fence that you have up. I can understand your concern, but with the use of editing software, I took out the fence and the bushes you have where the fence ends, they weren't a part of my final edits.

Attachment 5777

The fact that I didn't know it was "not wood" should convince you that I didn't go on to your property. :)

That being said.. nice job on adding the two silhouettes, they look great!! What are they made of?

Congratulations for having such a nice spot on Winni.

Merrymeeting 02-08-2012 01:36 PM

Nice photos everyone.

I'm also enjoying the time of these sunrises and sunsets. When I looked out just before 6AM today, the horizon was already brightening, and it is still light after 6PM now too. Nice to be back to at least 12 hours of daylight.

SteveA 02-08-2012 01:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's another from the same series. I'm very new to playing around with anything but the basic settings.

and yes... that is the top of the fence in the very bottom of the frame... :D:D

and no, I didn't arrive via ski machine.. those aren't my tracks on the beach or the lake. :):)

Attachment 5778

here are the settings: any and all advice appreciated.

Attachment 5779

CateP 02-08-2012 03:03 PM

Shoot the Moon

I think taking a good shot of the moonrise is very challenging. You want to expose for the moon, but most camera's will wash it out because it's trying to expose the dark surroundings. One solution may be to zoom in to the moon, set the exposure and then zoom out keeping the same exposure. The sky will be very dark, but at least your moon will be exposed correctly.

Moonrise is a bright ball surrounded by dark sky. An exposure challenge for sure.

Back in the day of film cameras, I used to do a timed exposure of moonrise with some decent results. Unfortunately the moon actually rises fairly fast so a timed exposure can easily blur.

Having been shooting the moon for a few decades now, I'm impressed with these shots. :)

P.S. Took a walk with the doggies at about 9 p.m last night and didn't need a flashlight at all. Could have read a book in that light.

Sal 02-08-2012 05:32 PM

a suggestion

Lower the the ISO to a number which still gives you a fairly fast shutter speed (1/100 or a bit higher). This gets you a better quality image (the lower the ISO number, the better quality of the image). I'm guessing that ISO 100 would have been fine, probably resulting in a shutter speed of about 1/400. No need to take a pic of what essentially is a "still life" at
1/3200.
Also, the lower setting would result in a higher f-stop, resulting in deeper "depth of field" (more things in focus).

SteveA 02-12-2012 08:08 PM

another sunrise from the same spot...

1 Attachment(s)
... but today, 2-12-12

Baby it was cold out there! The ice fisherman were just arriving.

Attachment 5790

jkjoshuatree 02-13-2012 11:01 AM

Can't Really Explain It…

…but that is the best picture of a sunrise I've seen it a very long time.

Thank you!!

SteveA 02-14-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkjoshuatree (Post 176044)
…but that is the best picture of a sunrise I've seen it a very long time.

Thank you!!

Thank You,

The wife and I are taking Photography classes at Laconia HS, Adult Ed.. The instructor is absolutely amazing. After years of just snapping pictures, we are learning about lighting, composition and so much more. Each week he covers a new aspect of photography and we end up with an "assignment" from Composition to Landscape to Portrait, etc.. Each week have have to go out and practice what we learned and then bring the results to class.

We have learned more in the first three weeks than either of us have learned in years of "do it yourself" type learning. It's been great fun.

Here is the instructors website... his pictures speak for themselves. :)

http://www.kamaraimage.com/

PS the Laconia Adult Ed program... costs $55.00 for 8 weeks of 3 hour classes, IMHO, a bargain at twice the price!

SteveA 03-06-2012 07:10 PM

Almost Full Moon 3-6-2012

1 Attachment(s)
Moon was too high to add any "structure" to the picture.. so this is a pretty tight crop. Now that I figured out some good settings.. I'll be out again tomorrow night.

Best luck I've ever had getting the level of detail I wanted.

Attachment 5832

Pineedles 03-06-2012 07:22 PM

Nice to see that you are pursuing your Scientific side. COOL PIC!

I am editing this because after looking at the picture again I understand why I would be proud of taking the picture, if I did. It makes the moon a part of me, I feel as if I own part of it. The picture is mine but I want to share it with everyone. Do I have it Steve?

Bear Island South 03-06-2012 07:23 PM

wow, thats an amazing shot with great detail.
looks like those classes are paying off.

DRH 03-06-2012 07:31 PM

Fantastic moon shot, SteveA! Are you sure you didn't "borrow" it from the Hubble Space Telescope? ;) I have yet to get a moon shot that good!

SteveA 03-06-2012 07:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRH (Post 177363)
Fantastic moon shot, SteveA! Are you sure you didn't "borrow" it from the Hubble Space Telescope? ;) I have yet to get a moon shot that good!

I attribute the success of this shot to that famous old saying... "even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile"

I used the tripod and a cable release.
Anyway, here are the settings I used: ( I'm not going to post the 10 or 15 "big white blobs" I had before the blind squirrel finally showed up! :rolleye1:)

Attachment 5833

SteveA 03-06-2012 07:59 PM

;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pineedles (Post 177360)
Nice to see that you are pursuing your Scientific side. COOL PIC!

I am editing this because after looking at the picture again I understand why I would be proud of taking the picture, if I did. It makes the moon a part of me, I feel as if I own part of it. The picture is mine but I want to share it with everyone. Do I have it Steve?

Yes you have it! You have to become ONE with the moon. :rolleye1: While humming Age of Aquarius by the "5th Dimension"
Go ahead and try to get that tune out of head tonight!

DRH 03-06-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveA (Post 177367)
I attribute the success of this shot to that famous old saying... "even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile"
( I'm not going to post the 10 or 15 "big white blobs" I had before the blind squirrel finally showed up! :rolleye1:)

Blind squirrel or not, you've still made a great shot that anyone would be proud of. Well done!

ishoot308 03-07-2012 09:16 AM

Beautiful!

Great photo Steve! The level of detail is amazing!!

Dan

SteveA 03-07-2012 07:54 PM

From tonight... 3-7-12

1 Attachment(s)
This was taken this evening from the area right near the Governors Island Bridge. Strange Sky, the moon came up at 5.15PM and the sun set at 5.45PM. Made for some great colors before the clouds rolled in.

Attachment 5835

Bear Island South 03-07-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveA (Post 177426)
This was taken this evening from the area right near the Governors Island Bridge. Strange Sky, the moon came up at 5.15PM and the sun set at 5.45PM. Made for some great colors before the clouds rolled in.

Attachment 5835

if you look closely, you can see the "man in the moon" :D

CateP 03-08-2012 09:59 PM

Hi Rez Image of 3/7 Moon Shot

Hi SteveA-Do you happen to have a high resolution version from your recent 3/7 moon over the bay shot? I would love it for my computer wallpaper. Stunning image. PM if you do and you can send it to me via email.

Rattlesnake Gal 03-09-2012 06:43 AM

Link to Larger Picture in PhotoPost Gallery

SteveA's Worm Moon

What an amazing picture Steve!!! Looking forward to more of your pictures.

SteveA 03-09-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CateP (Post 177496)
Hi SteveA-Do you happen to have a high resolution version from your recent 3/7 moon over the bay shot? I would love it for my computer wallpaper. Stunning image. PM if you do and you can send it to me via email.

I can send it via e-mail. If I try to upload it here, Don would kill me. :rolleye1:

It's a 2.1MB file. If you want to send me your e-mail in a Private Message, I'll be glad to send it to your email.

OOPS... just reread your message.. PM on the way